Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
and some more from Cowley:

Josh Fields has requested to work out with Ozzie and Joey Cora starting in Jan. down in Miami. The goal is to improve his defense.

He should introduce him to Viciedo (can someone please come up with a nickname already?) and hand him a first baseman's glove.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Let's hope he's not. No offense, but everyone looks good on their highlight videos.

In terms of track record, yeah, there’s a lot of unrealized talent. Still he has all the skills we’re really looking for, and he’s a better-rounded player then Getz or Nix. I really do think it’s a possibility. I’m not making any judgments based on highlights, I’m just getting a general feel for his game. I’ve been hearing about him for a while.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
In terms of track record, yeah, there’s a lot of unrealized talent. Still he has all the skills we’re really looking for, and he’s a better-rounded player then Getz or Nix. I really do think it’s a possibility. I’m not making any judgments based on highlights, I’m just getting a general feel for his game. I’ve been hearing about him for a while.

If they could duplicate their minor league numbers, I could probably take either Lillibridge or Getz at leadoff, because both of them have moderate speed but that wonderful ability to draw a walk.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
Why was he ever out of their good graces? He was banged up much of last year.

I love Fields. I was one of the guys who was advocating him over Crede last year (I admit I was wrong, briefly). I think there’s just a fundamental difference in personality between Ozzie and Fields. Except rather then being like Swisher and insisting on being himself it looks like Fields is willing to make concessions to try to improve his relationship with Ozzie.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
I don't see how the Sox roster will remain the same as it is. I understand building for the future, but with the pieces the Sox have opened up and the lack of depth primarily at starting pitcher, I don't see the Sox merely standing still.

I could see us standing still aside from the addition of 1, possibly cheap/alternate, starting pitcher. I could see us standing completely still if somehow the prognosis on Contreras might allow him to be ready by June 1.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
and some more from Cowley:

Josh Fields has requested to work out with Ozzie and Joey Cora starting in Jan. down in Miami. The goal is to improve his defense.

You put Beckham at 3B and you lose out on his offensive production. He's supposed to hit 15-25 hr a year at 2B which is above average for that position, at third that is average to below average so you end up losing offense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Let's hope he's not. No offense, but everyone looks good on their highlight videos. People that saw him live last year thought he was one of the worst hitters in the league.

thats not what I've heard. I heard he had a bad year due to injuries and such but the talent is there. The people that I've talked to thought he could be a pretty good hitter in the majors.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:29 AM)
thats not what I've heard. I heard he had a bad year due to injuries and such but the talent is there. The people that I've talked to thought he could be a pretty good hitter in the majors.

The people who saw him in the Internantional League were stunned by how weak his bat was.

Ken Williams’ eyes turned red Tuesday when ahe was asked about his faith in unproven youngsters Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson.

But the White Sox general manager was more diplomatic about assessing the back end of his rotation, where youngsters Clayton Richard, Jeff Marquez and Aaron Poreda currently are competing for two spots.

“Things can change,” Williams told a group of reporters while standing far away from the congested areas of the Bellagio where agents and some executives congregated. “Decisions are evolving as we travel down some roads that are a little uncertain right now. You can walk in the lobby and see how much uncertainty there is in regards to free agents or trades.

“All I’m saying now is I have an open mind, and if we have to go in the season with the young guys, then so be it.”

One National League GM suspected Williams was employing a method reminiscent of four winters ago, when he traded Carlos Lee and let Magglio Ordonez go to free agency. That allowed him to reshape the team and sign Tadahito Iguchi and A.J. Pierzynski after the winter meetings.

But Williams said his projected player payroll is currently at its limit. The Sox have earmarked more than $82 million for 11 players for the 2009 season, and that doesn’t include closer Bobby Jenks, who is likely to receive a $5 million raise as a first-year arbitration-eligible player.

Williams would gain more flexibility if he can trade right fielder Jermaine Dye and his $11.5 million salary. But Williams spent the afternoon in a staff meeting and said he doubted that any moves would be made by the winter meetings’ conclusion Thursday.

The Sox haven’t talked to Atlanta since last week’s Javier Vazquez trade, thus quelling a report that the two teams were engaged in serious talks involving Dye.

The Sox, however, could wait until January to see if the market became more saturated as Friday’s deadline to tender contracts to all unsigned players approaches.

Williams was just as evasive when asked if he would pursue a free agent now.

“Well, if I answered that question, it would go against my tactics of trying to mislead you guys as much as I can,” Williams said. “So, I just have to continue on with my pattern of dodging and weaving. We generally have more success when we are operating out of sight.”

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
You put Beckham at 3B and you lose out on his offensive production. He's supposed to hit 15-25 hr a year at 2B which is above average for that position, at third that is average to below average so you end up losing offense.

depending of course upon how good his defense is over there, the batting average he puts up, and his eye at the plate. He could actually be a very valuable 3Bman.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
or maybe KW is serious about going with the young guys at 2nd and Alexei at SS.

ding ding, and plan for 2010. I will go with that one, and if thats the case then Dye will be moved either now or during the year. Its not that bad of a strategy. Most people around here love to see the kids play. Now everyone has there chance.