Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
if the payroll is now at 82 million....thats about a 30% reduction in payroll. seems very odd for a large market team. i guess they see bad numbers with this new economy.

The payroll is not at $82 million when you consider arbitration eligible players like Jenks and the minimal salary numbers for another 10 guys or so. That's another $10 million or so at least.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)
Honestly, I think this team is cutting payroll, but for now KW wants to not look desperate, so he's holding onto his cards. Maybe at the end of the meetings when everybody else has forgotten that we are trying to cut payroll or in a couple weeks, then KW makes his move once again underneath the spotlight. He is kinda just testing the market now, if he could get what he wanted he wouldve made the trade.

me too, but I thought cutting payroll like 10 mill not like 40.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)

When you count the arbitration costs and the holds for other people you make up about 1/2 that margin.

It's also worth noting that they might decide to put together an extension for Q or Alexei or perhaps one of the other youngins to take advantage of the down market environment by offering them security at this point when security has added value.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)

What were we at last year with Griffey? 120-130mill? I think the top were going to be at now is just above 105mill, and probably lower due to the inflated payroll of last year. If the plan is to go young, Ill gladly take an extra couple mill off the payroll and put that into the draft. (I am not implying that the Sox are taking off all this for the draft :P )

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:54 AM)
All the negative talk about cutting payroll is funny. If we could get rid of Dye, Konerko, and Thome and get nothing in return except the ~$33M off the payroll, I don't think anyone on this board would object.

I completely disagree

If we are in full payroll slash mode...it wouldn't surprise me to hear the Paulie to the Halos rumor pop up again if Teixiera bolts for the Nats or wherever. Depending on what we get back with that (if)...maybe we'd see JD at 1B...or even see a 1B mitt in Fields bag.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
If we are in full payroll slash mode...it wouldn't surprise me to hear the Paulie to the Halos rumor pop up again if Teixiera bolts for the Nats or wherever. Depending on what we get back with that (if)...maybe we'd see JD at 1B...or even see a 1B mitt in Fields bag.

I think KW is going to wait to see where all of the FAs go and then work trades for Dye or Paulie with the teams that lose out. He will be in a good position to get what he wants at that time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
When you count the arbitration costs and the holds for other people you make up about 1/2 that margin.

It's also worth noting that they might decide to put together an extension for Q or Alexei or perhaps one of the other youngins to take advantage of the down market environment by offering them security at this point when security has added value.

Good thinking... Maybe even a John Danks extension?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)

If were in full white flag, then everybody goes, keeping one of PK/Thome/Beurhle wont save the attendance. If were trading PK, Dye will be gone too. Thome may be saved just because he has that no trade clause and is a bit more adamant about staying here (though if he knows were not going to be competitive I can see him okaying a deal). PK also has 10-5 rights, Dye and I believe Beurhle have limited no trades, so your sell off would be tough to pull off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:16 AM)
Good thinking... Maybe even a John Danks extension?

I don't see any of the young pitchers getting extensions until they are at least arbitration eligible. Most youngsters that get long term contracts early are position players, they are a lower injury risk.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
If were in full white flag, then everybody goes, keeping one of PK/Thome/Beurhle wont save the attendance. If were trading PK, Dye will be gone too. Thome may be saved just because he has that no trade clause and is a bit more adamant about staying here (though if he knows were not going to be competitive I can see him okaying a deal). PK also has 10-5 rights, Dye and I believe Beurhle have limited no trades, so your sell off would be tough to pull off.

I think I worded that wrong. I'm not saying full white flag...because to be honest, trading Paulie and or JD would address the lack of speed issue and HR or nothing approach this offense has had the past umpteen years...as well as cut some payroll probably. Of course...depending on what we got back...with either one of those guys gone I still think we'd be very competitive. One of the 3 still has to go though...or we go into the season with the exact problem as last year.

The Sox are in stealth mode. I would be shocked and disappointed if the Sox do not acquire a lead off hitter and another more proven or talented starting pitcher. I still stand by Furcal. The fact that Fucal's agent didn't mention the Sox and talked about 4 teams interested does not phase me. KW could have just asked him to keep it quiet or just forget it. KW is deep underground and the payroll stuff is being played up to provide him a realistic cover story.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
The payroll is not at $82 million when you consider arbitration eligible players like Jenks and the minimal salary numbers for another 10 guys or so. That's another $10 million or so at least.

yeah but you dump dye and there is your extra 10 million for the minimum guys

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 04:22 AM)
Cause that 33 million is dead weight. We're not talking about Barry Zito, Jose Contreras, etc. People on this site undervalue our players so much.

I agree that 33M IS dead weight and that was the point of my post. In this market, you could do a LOT better than Dye, Konerko, and Thome for that money.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
I agree that 33M IS dead weight and that was the point of my post. In this market, you could do a LOT better than Dye, Konerko, and Thome for that money.

really? you can do better than those 3 at 33mil? if you can get tex,manny and dunn for 33 mil my hats off to u my friend.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Ken Williams’ eyes turned red Tuesday when ahe was asked about his faith in unproven youngsters Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson.

What does it say about you as a player when you're a 28 year old who's still considered an unproven youngster?