Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
i can't believe how quiet our club has been during these meetings...the only rumor with any substance was the dye for bailey one, and that was shot down really quickly....even with free agents, Rock has said KW has been talking to some, but who? Bruce levine said the sox might go after some mid level free agents (in the area of 5 or 6 mil), but who is out there at that price that we would want? We'll see, but I was expecting KW to make some more moves cuz right now our team has some enormous holes (2b CF 3b....im fine going young at one or two spots, but not all three, and two holes in the rotation... which im fine having richard marquez or poreda fill one, but not two)

You'll be happy to know that if the Cubs don't trade Marshall in the Peavy deal, they'll use him to get Hermida from the Marlins. Hendry really must have naked pictures of these other GMs he deals with, as I can't believe teams actually want Jason Marquis.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
KW was on the Score update saying he believes his team currently can win the division as the team stands... now of course what else is he going to say but I sure hope he doesn't really believe that.

I am pleased with the offseason so far (subtracting duds like Swisher and Javvy), but to suggest this team as it stands can win the division indicates Kenny is beefing up his resume for potential moonlighting gigs at the local comedy club.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
KW was on the Score update saying he believes his team currently can win the division as the team stands... now of course what else is he going to say but I sure hope he doesn't really believe that.

everyone thought he was full of crap when he said it last year, too.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)

I'm not taking what he says at face value, as we have learned over the years, but if JR told him to cut payroll and he doesn't have anymore money to spend, what else is he supposed to do? Is he supposed to say that he doesn't believe the kids can get the job done, but there is nothing he can do about it because we are strapped on payroll? If he has no money to work with, he has to put on a brave face and say these kids can get the job done, even though I think everyone agrees here (including most likely KW) that counting on 5 young players who have not really stood out anywhere, won't get the job done. Sucks, but not much else that KW can say at this point. We just gotta hope we get some productivity from 1 or 2, hope the economy rebounds next year and go from there.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I'm not taking what he says at face value, as we have learned over the years, but if JR told him to cut payroll and he doesn't have anymore money to spend, what else is he supposed to do? Is he supposed to say that he doesn't believe the kids can get the job done, but there is nothing he can do about it because we are strapped on payroll? If he has no money to work with, he has to put on a brave face and say these kids can get the job done, even though I think everyone agrees here (including most likely KW) that counting on 5 young players who have not really stood out anywhere, won't get the job done. Sucks, but not much else that KW can say at this point. We just gotta hope we get some productivity from 1 or 2, hope the economy rebounds next year and go from there.

I'm sure KW just misunderstood Reinsdorf when he said to lower ticket prices and raise the payroll-

not raise prices and lower payroll like he is doing

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
i can't believe how quiet our club has been during these meetings...the only rumor with any substance was the dye for bailey one, and that was shot down really quickly....even with free agents, Rock has said KW has been talking to some, but who? Bruce levine said the sox might go after some mid level free agents (in the area of 5 or 6 mil), but who is out there at that price that we would want? We'll see, but I was expecting KW to make some more moves cuz right now our team has some enormous holes (2b CF 3b....im fine going young at one or two spots, but not all three, and two holes in the rotation... which im fine having richard marquez or poreda fill one, but not two)

Its too early. Give it time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Its too early. Give it time.

Agreed, Kenny likes to make additions all the way up until right before the season starts. Werent Iguchi, AJ, and El Duque all added after the winter meetings?

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
everyone thought he was full of crap when he said it last year, too.

Why does that mean it will work again, and if it does, is a first round exit from the playoffs what the White Sox are looking for? Just remember, KW also said great things about Cabrera and Swisher. He called Borchard a big impact player. Said Willie Harris will be an All Star. Jon Adkins was going to be all world. He is full of crap if he thinks this current roster can win. But there is no chance this current roster will be the same when it comes time to play the games. He apparently felt some things didn't get done last offseason because people knew what he was doing.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Agreed, Kenny likes to make additions all the way up until right before the season starts. Werent Iguchi, AJ, and El Duque all added after the winter meetings?

Nope. All hope is lost. We didn't trade for Ryan Freel, sign CC Sabathia and ... I can't even keep up with it anymore.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Every year we get fired up for Winter Meetings and GM Meetings and all we get to hear about is Cub acquisitions and rumors. I am disappointed-we have gaping holes-and all we hear about is payroll.

We had a huge huge payroll last year. It's not like this is something we have been strapped by in 3-4 years.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Every year we get fired up for Winter Meetings and GM Meetings and all we get to hear about is Cub acquisitions and rumors. I am disappointed-we have gaping holes-and all we hear about is payroll.

If spring training started next week, I would agree with you about not filling holes. I will always agree with you about payroll. Why KW has to bring up the now $.75 and everything costs $1.00 thing year after year, especially when he didn't sign Hunter, and saved $50 million when Fukudome turned him down last year is beyond tired.

If, Hell freezes over and the White Sox wind up cutting payroll by as much as people are fearing, and the team doesn't contend, I hope every season ticketholder next offseason refuses to renew and uses the $.75 vs $1.00 excuse. I do think they will cut payroll, but not by a large amount.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
It's interesting that NY City is the epicenter of the economic crisis, but those two teams don't seem to be cutting back.

The revenue that each team takes in them absolutely uncomparable as far as money goes. im sure with the economy they aren't doing super hot, but it's still the Yankees and people will still watch the Yanks play and buy stuff and advertise on yanks tv (etc etc). Their revenue just isn't comparable to ours.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)

And every year at this point, about a quarter of the board goes stark raving mad, insisting the team is going cheap, won't compete, and we'll be a last place team, blah blah blah.

Yet, we've only finished below 3rd place once in KW'd 8 season tenure.

Patience.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Didn't the Yankees have $85 million come off their books?

Yes. Giambi, Mussina, Pavano, etc.

Another key thing about the Yankees and Mets...both of them are opening new ballparks next opening day. That is sure to blunt the impact of the economic collapse on those teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Yes. Giambi, Mussina, Pavano, etc.

Another key thing about the Yankees and Mets...both of them are opening new ballparks next opening day. That is sure to blunt the impact of the economic collapse on those teams.

There are a few seats at the new Yankee Stadium that are $2500 a game. I hope they come with hookers. Multiple hookers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
You'll be happy to know that if the Cubs don't trade Marshall in the Peavy deal, they'll use him to get Hermida from the Marlins. Hendry really must have naked pictures of these other GMs he deals with, as I can't believe teams actually want Jason Marquis.

No they wont, the Marlins were asking for some of the top prospects from the Rays, all of which are better than Marshall.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
No they wont, the Marlins were asking for some of the top prospects from the Rays, all of which are better than Marshall.

The talk is that it would be Marshall, Atkins, and another prospect. I saw what you read about Wade Davis, fat boy, etc. Hermida would be a good fit for Chicago if they're looking to not increase their payroll.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)

The Marlins already shed some salary, they dont need to trade Hermida anymore. Also, i'm pretty comfortable with their trading history to believe they wouldnt trade someone as coveted as him for that kind of crap.