Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Kurk was just on ESPN, and said he expects things to move a lot slower than they have in years past due to the economic climate with baseball. Don't expect a lot of the big FA's to leave the winter meetings with deals.

right... the Economy will play a huge part in this whole thing. Teams are trying to predict the gate for 4 months from now. It maybe easy for the Cubs, mets Yanks, and Angels but practically everyone else will be very hard pressed. When you turn on the TV and see everything Happening, paying millions for baseball players really is last on the list. If the economics will be cut this year, teams just cannot predict the gate. By the way I am sure everyone knows that the tribune just filed bankruptcy. They will restructure soon. Its just starting, there will be more everyday.

Edited by quickman

I know some of you were curious as to the current payroll, well I did a little math.

Players under contract or ARB eligible and guaranteed to make the team in 2009:

Buehrle 14

Thome 13

Konerko 12

Dye 11.5

Contreras 10

Pierzynski 6.25

Dotel 6

Jenks 5.2 (ARB Estimate)

Linebrink 4.5

MacDougal 2.65

Betemit 1.8 (ARB Estimate)

Ramirez 1.1

-------

Total 88 million

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
Economic-wise, I'm surprised that players aren't signing quicker to avoid the "Over 250k" Obama tax hike plan.

well, for the record, he said that may likely be delayed in effect until the bush tax cuts come up for renewal.

The Cubs are trying to move Cedeno for talent, of course most GM's already know that he will be non-tendered anyway, so they will wait for that shoe to drop.

Apparently they also are "refusing" to trade MIke Fontenot. If he is untouchable, not sure what Jim Hendry actually values. I see them signing Ibanez in the next 2 weeks for RF.

Sox have had discussions with the Dodgers, not sure what about though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
The Cubs are trying to move Cedeno for talent, of course most GM's already know that he will be non-tendered anyway, so they will wait for that shoe to drop.

Apparently they also are "refusing" to trade MIke Fontenot. If he is untouchable, not sure what Jim Hendry actually values. I see them signing Ibanez in the next 2 weeks for RF.

Sox have had discussions with the Dodgers, not sure what about though.

How bout this for speculation

5:19 p.m. — Saito injury forces Dodgers' hand

The Los Angeles Dodgers received a mixed report on closer Takashi Saito, who missed two months in the second half this season because of a sprained elbow ligament.

Saito's offseason rehabilitation program is going well, team doctors said, but he is not certain to be ready for the start of the season.

Because of that, the Dodgers will increase their search for another reliever. They could either slide Jonathan Broxton back into the closer's role and add a set-up man or bring in free-agent closer Trevor Hoffman, the all-time saves leader. --Gerry Fraley

Fox

QUOTE (YahtzeeSox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
How about signing Garland to a contract?

Apparently he is looking for only 2 or 3 years.

I was thinking about this, he is average, but he eats innings and I love Jon. We need another solid starter, or at least one that will eat innings like Jon can. I would be willing to sign him to a 2-year deal worth $18 million, or even a 1-year deal like Lohse had.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I was thinking about this, he is average, but he eats innings and I love Jon. We need another solid starter, or at least one that will eat innings like Jon can. I would be willing to sign him to a 2-year deal worth $18 million, or even a 1-year deal like Lohse had.

Ill see if there is any info about Garland.

QUOTE (YahtzeeSox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
How about signing Garland to a contract?

Apparently he is looking for only 2 or 3 years.

I doubt he's "looking" for a 2-3 year contract. Maybe this is where you got that...

Garland a good fit for Cardinals

Monday, December 8, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jerry Crasnick

The Cardinals could ultimately emerge as a fit for free agent Jon Garland, given St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan's track record for getting the most out of pitchers ranging from Jeff Weaver to Kyle Lohse.

Garland went 14-8 for the Angels this season, but his ERA (4.90), strikeout-to-walk ratio (1.53) and other underlying numbers weren't pretty. The consensus in baseball circles is that he could benefit greatly from a shift to the National League.

It's doubtful that the Cardinals would want to go beyond a two- or three-year deal, however, given the money the team is obligated to pay Adam Wainwright, Chris Carpenter and Lohse in the coming years.

Garland could also be a possible fallback for the Brewers, Dodgers and other clubs with starting pitching plans that are currently in a state of flux.

I think Garland would be smart going to the NL. But I would take him back in a heartbeat. I thought the thing on Garland was he always wanted to pitch on the west coast closer to family.