Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Angels offer might be as high as 9 years @ 22.5M (with various options but is at least 7 years guaranteed). In addition, the Angels are mulling over making a 2 year offer to Manny (apparently no team, aside from the Dodgers initial offer, have gone over 1 year for Manny).

Tex also has what is believed to be a 9yr 180M deal on the table from the O's and according to Boras all teams that Tex is interested in have made offers at this point and that its possible Tex will sign shortly.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:31 AM)
Scott Boras is an absolute shark. Tex has very little to do with it other than being a ballplayer.

I love him as a person, as everyone who was around him at GT thought the world of him. I just don't think he's worth close to the amount he's going to receive.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
9:32 p.m. — Source: Tigers to aqcuire Edwin Jackson

The Detroit Tigers are set to acquire right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tampa Bay Rays for outfielder Matt Joyce, according to a major-league source. -- Ed Price

Congrats to Joyce being the centerpiece of a deal. He was an OF back on a collegiate team a couple years back that I broadcasted for this year, a. It’s amazing he’s gotten so far. Confidentially, I think Jack Egbert was there too.

Also, Jackson and Taveras seemingly off the table? What is this board going to talk about?

Wow thats a hell of a deal for the Tigers. Joyce can't be considered to be on par with Jackson. Joyce has some nice tools but has never put up amazing numbers at the big league level. In fact, I wouldn't consider him being that much different of a prospect than Brian Anderson. His career OPS is .804 at the minor league level and only once did he hit even .270.

This is one I just don't get, not at all. A steal of a deal considering that Jackson is at the very least a league average starter and at his best (since he does have a great arm) could turn into a viable #2.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
If that's all it cost to get Jackson, then I'm upset we didn't go after him.

He'd have been the perfect 4th starter too and would have easily allowed the Sox to move Dye for a young starter like Bailey and not have to worry about spending any money on the rotation or pen (cause whomever missed out on the rotation could slide to the pen). This would have let the Sox use some cash to fill there remaining positional holes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
He'd have been the perfect 4th starter too and would have easily allowed the Sox to move Dye for a young starter like Bailey and not have to worry about spending any money on the rotation or pen (cause whomever missed out on the rotation could slide to the pen). This would have let the Sox use some cash to fill there remaining positional holes.

Totally agreed, KW must love gin rummy or no limit poker.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
I know, if they don't do something in the next 2 days we are screwed. :unsure:

If anything this makes the Bailey trade more probable. It'll happen soon too. Once Tex is off the market the OF's are next, and KW's going to want to make sure the Red's don't have that option open to them.

8:31pm: Jayson Stark says Peavy to the Cubs doesn't seem inevitable anymore, and the sides have not made progress in the last 24 hours. The Cubs have leverage, so they've dug in their heels. Stark adds that once word of the possible inclusion of DeRosa linked, Jim Hendry has been "bombarded with calls from other clubs interested" in him. Hendry does not want to trade DeRosa.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
If that's all it cost to get Jackson, then I'm upset we didn't go after him.

Lets say the asking price was a toolsy major league ready outfielder. Who do the Sox even have to offer? Given what Joyce did as a 23 year old between AAA and the Bigs I think he has much better value than Anderson. I'm sure in the eyes of some Brian has proven that he can not hit major league pitching.

I can't think of anybody.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:57 AM)
Lets say the asking price was a toolsy major league ready outfielder. Who do the Sox even have to offer? Given what Joyce did as a 23 year old between AAA and the Bigs I think he has better value than Anderson. I'm sure in the eyes of some Brian has proven that he can not hit major league pitching.

Yeah, sounds like they wanted a potential corner outfielder with power. Obviously Dye for Jackson would be a bad trade, so I guess we don't really match up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
Except Joyce isn't exactly highly touted nor has he ever shown anything too special at the minor league level.

No doubt, but Shelby has about a year left of development before he becomes a legitmate piece. Joyce has proven what he needs to of proved down their. And all he really is for the Rays is a replacement for Gabe Gross.