Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

Just because we're going young doesn't mean we should go young at every single position.

If there's one place we should feel pretty secure, it's having Alexei Ramirez in the prime of his career playing SS at one million per year. There's no better bargains in baseball right now than Ramirez, Danks and Quentin.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
How is thinking Tex is overrated being outrageous? His stats are typical for power-hitting first basemen, he's not worth 160-170 million. Boras is just inflating the figures as much as possible so he can get a bigger commission.

You used the words overrated and scrubby. Those words hardly apply to one of the top offensive forces in baseball. There's nothing "typical" about the numbers he puts up every year (last year in particular being impressive due to his much improved BB/K ratio). I won't even get into the fact he's one of the best defensive first basemen in the game. Of course, he's not worth that much money. No one player is. But if some team is dumb enough to invest that much into one guy, so be it. He's still an incredible player.

Edited by Jordan4life

Here is a CF I would love to see KW go after... of course the price would be high I'd imagine...

Jays Listening On Wells

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 20 at 8:58am CST]

Jon Heyman has heard that the Blue Jays "have fielded a few trade inquiries" about Vernon Wells, though they are not shopping him. Wells has six years and over $100MM remaining on his contract.

Because of the Jays' financial constraints, they could consider trading Wells or closer B.J. Ryan for the right package. Trading the center fielder would likely take a lot of creativity on the part of Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi given the amount the club owes Wells.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Here is a CF I would love to see KW go after... of course the price would be high I'd imagine...

Jays Listening On Wells

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 20 at 8:58am CST]

Jon Heyman has heard that the Blue Jays "have fielded a few trade inquiries" about Vernon Wells, though they are not shopping him. Wells has six years and over $100MM remaining on his contract.

Because of the Jays' financial constraints, they could consider trading Wells or closer B.J. Ryan for the right package. Trading the center fielder would likely take a lot of creativity on the part of Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi given the amount the club owes Wells.

I want to stay as far away from that contract as I can. I think Vernon Wells is an excellent player but I don't think anyone should be signed for more than 5 seasons, MAXIMUM. How can you project that a guy will be worth $16MM/year six years from now?

KW lucked out. OC needs to fire his agent.

From Olney:

All but two of the free agents who were offered arbitration turned it down in the hopes of landing multiyear deals elsewhere. But increasingly, it appears that the Jason Variteks and Orlando Cabreras are going to have a difficult time landing deals that match what they might have made in arbitration. "With everything that's going on, and the way the prices are dropping, there's no way I'd give Orlando Cabrera a two-year deal for big money -- not when I have to give up a draft pick," a club official said. "Not a chance."