Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
This should be good. K-Rods peripherals suggest that next year is going to be very-interesting for the New York Mets.

I think that they're going to regret that deal sooner than later. Rodriguez has a ton of mileage on his arm, and his K and BB rates have been declining for quite some time now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs apparently very close to getting Peavy

per rotoworld:

One source close to GM Jim Hendry characterized the Cubs as "very close" to completing a deal for Jake Peavy.

Cubs and Orioles sources told the Chicago Sun-Times that those two teams have agreed to a swap of Garrett Olson and Felix Pie, contingent on a Peavy deal. Olson would then go to San Diego. The Sun-Times also believes the Phillies are in the deal, but isn't sure the pieces are finalized there. Dec. 9 - 2:28 am et

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

qwertyworld says that the Sox might be in the running for Ramon Vazquez as a utility infielder. Apparently they missed it when the Sox traded for Lillibridge and Betemit while also having Getz in the system too.

Anyways, that would be a more than disappointing signing.

Don't really know how close this is to actually happening, but figured i should mention it.

Mark Teixeira-1B-Angels Dec. 9 - 2:46 am et

A front-office official for a team on the outside looking in at the Mark Teixeira chase said he expects the first baseman to sign with Boston.

"I think he’ll sign with the Red Sox," the official said. "They want him. They have a good relationship with (agent Scott) Boras, and in the end, they have the dollars to make it happen." While the Yankees, Orioles and Nationals all met with Teixeira in D.C. last week, his supposed strongest suitors -- the Red Sox and Angels -- have yet to sit down for a face-to-face. It's unclear whether any team has made an actual offer.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

In fact, trading Dye could clear the way for the Sox to go after a free agent such as Milton Bradley or Rocco Baldelli, as well as add a veteran starting pitcher on the cheap.

A major-league source told the Sun-Times not to be surprised to see Freddy Garcia back in a Sox uniform in spring training if his current ''aches'' subside. The Sox know what they get with Garcia, and he'd love to be reunited with Ozzie Guillen.

But for now, Williams was adamant that there's one way to build a team: his.

''It doesn't matter in terms of our planning what the outside world thinks,'' Williams said. ''I'm sorry, and that's putting it very bluntly, but if I reacted to all the things the public and media wanted us to do, we'd be in a much different place than we are now.'' cowley, suntimes.com/sports

On the Jermaine Dye "situation"

"From a personal standpoint, I make no bones about it," Williams said of Dye. "He's a good man. And I consider him a friend.

"But there's going to come a day, soon here, whether it's the next year or the year after that when all of your players, no matter how close you are with them, all of your players are going to have to be transitioned into a different aspect of life."

"And I'd like to think we do it well and we'll continue to operate in this fashion," said Williams, who has shifted gears from past years when he traded prospects for veterans. "But now we have to build something that, yes, we can win in 2009 and sustain a new young core as we move into the future."

Williams reiterated the lack of bona fide leadoff hitters available and endorsed Jerry Owens as a candidate, although Owens was beset by injuries in 2008 after stealing 32 bases in 93 games in 2007.

"I'm not so quick to forget guys that have a lot of potential and a lot of talent and fall off for whatever reason," Williams said. "We've made a pretty good living here to take advantage off those situations."

mark gonzales/chicagotribune.com

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah kenny, let's go young, it doesn't mean we're rebuilding if those young players are good right?

We'll all just magically forget where all the payroll money went, even though ticket prices are going to be increased

If that money isn't reinvested into the team, this is nothing more than a firesale

Nobody here thinks the likes of Lillibridge, Nix, Betemit, Owens, Anderson, Marquez, Broadway, Richard, Poreda, Bailey etc. etc. are MLB ready to play 162 (30+ for starting pitchers) games, and I firmly

believe none of those players are good enough to be part of a platoon for a whole season

When furcal gets signed to another team than the white sox, these boards are going to be chaos ;)

Ummmm.....no, but we didn't expect to win the World Series coming out of Spring Training '05, or compete for a division title in 2008.

Second, Dye hasn't been traded for Bailey, not yet at least.

Third, KW knows what he's doing better than anyone here. Wait until you seen the Opening Day roster, then you can make whatever comments you want to make about being able to compete in 2009. Even then, KW almost always make an adjustment at mid-season to give us one final "cog" to make a run. I guess 2006 was one of the few exceptions, when he relied on the word of Thome, Paulie and Dye that they didn't need to add anything.

Fourth, we lost Valentin, Ordonez and Carlos Lee one off-season and won it all the next year. We haven't lost considerably more this offseason. Swisher was a part-time player, Crede was injured, Uribe is/was Uribe, Cabrera was so-so, just like Vazquez. Now I'll agree that trading Dye would cut deeper, but just wait and see what he does with the savings...there's a lot of other options like Dunn, Abreu, Ibanez, Griffey, Juan Rivera, Milton Bradley, J. Hermida. KW needs to sign at least one FA to replace some of the offensive firepower lost.

Fifth, it was just last season we were coming off 72 wins, things looked completely bleak (DET and CLE looked like world-beaters), and we missed out on Torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Fukudome (lucky for us) and Aaron Rowand, just to name a few. I don't think any fans torched the message boards then, and they won't now, especially coming off a Central Division crown.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:16 AM)

per rotoworld:

One source close to GM Jim Hendry characterized the Cubs as "very close" to completing a deal for Jake Peavy.

Cubs and Orioles sources told the Chicago Sun-Times that those two teams have agreed to a swap of Garrett Olson and Felix Pie, contingent on a Peavy deal. Olson would then go to San Diego. The Sun-Times also believes the Phillies are in the deal, but isn't sure the pieces are finalized there. Dec. 9 - 2:28 am et

I dunno man....I watched Jim Hendry milling around the Bellagio half the night with Lou...didn't look like they were in any serious discussions....of course, this deal has been on the table for weeks now and maybe Hendry was just waiting for the Padres to come to a decision...I do know this...Hendry and Pinella certainly didn't look all that concerned about a possible deal...

As for the other goings on...I saw a ton of people:

Dusty Baker, Steve Phillips, Ozzie Guillen, Ken Rosenthal, Chuck Garfein, Mike Scoscia, Tommy Lasorda, Jim Hendry, Lou Pinella, Tito Francona, Ron Washington, and I am sure some others I have forgotten...

What a fun evening!

Unfortunately, the evening was more social for everyone it seemed then about working...although several GM's were nowhere to be found, such as Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
Here's my odd prediction...

I think after the Sox trade Dye (or before), you'll see them sign Mark Kotsay to play CF.

Doesnt Kotsay have a neverending disc problem in his back that has limited him for the better part of the last 3 years? When healthy he is nails, but i had him on my fantasy team last year and he didnt seem to be healthy all that much

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:16 AM)

per rotoworld:

How many seasons in a row are the Cubs going to get All-Star talent giftwrapped to them and blow it in the playoffs?

Peavy

Zambrano

Harden

Dempster

Lilly

That's flat ridiculous, but it still won't matter.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
Agreed, although Murphy, Hamilton, and Salty had already produced somewhat at the Major League Level prior to being acquired, The Rangers have done a good job at facilitating their development as players.

But they traded Volquez and Tex for two of those three and they were developed in house along with Ian Kinsler and Michael Young. The bottom line is they cant find anyone to pitch effectively in that park, much like the Rockies pre-Humidor. Of course bringing in the likes of Vicente Padilla and Sidney Ponson makes that a difficult problem to fix.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
How many seasons in a row are the Cubs going to get All-Star talent giftwrapped to them and blow it in the playoffs?

Peavy

Zambrano

Harden

Dempster

Lilly

That's flat ridiculous, but it still won't matter.

And it's because the Cubs always back up their steals with s***ty acquistions. They'll get Peavy, but they just traded their best pitching prospect for Kevin Gregg. Obviously the Peavy deal is going to help them a lot more than the Gregg deal will hurt them, but the point is still there. It's one giant steal and then one giant brain fart. Like, the Derek Lee deal with Florida (steal) but then the Clement and Pierre deals with them (brain farts). Or they'll extend Zambrano but then sign Fukudome, or they'll make a good move signing Lily, then back it up with an idiotic Marquis signing. And it just goes on like that.

All I'll say is that the Cubs are going to have a wonderful time over the next few years trying to unload the Soriano, Dempster, and Fukudome contracts, and that probably won't be all of it either.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
And it's because the Cubs always back up their steals with s***ty acquistions. They'll get Peavy, but they just traded their best pitching prospect for Kevin Gregg. Obviously the Peavy deal is going to help them a lot more than the Gregg deal will hurt them, but the point is still there. It's one giant steal and then one giant brain fart. Like, the Derek Lee deal with Florida (steal) but then the Clement and Pierre deals with them (brain farts). Or they'll extend Zambrano but then sign Fukudome, or they'll make a good move signing Lily, then back it up with an idiotic Marquis signing. And it just goes on like that.

All I'll say is that the Cubs are going to have a wonderful time over the next few years trying to unload the Soriano, Dempster, and Fukudome contracts, and that probably won't be all of it either.

Every team other than the Cubs, and every legit baseball fan, knew that that Soriano signing was an awful one. I laughed when I saw Dempster's contract. He's a decent enough pitcher and had an excellent season last year, but that's a lot of money.

The Fukudome signing got soooo much press, and was followed with soooo much blatant racism, I'm just glad I'm not a Cubs fan. We all heralded the Iguchi signing, which was a blurb in the paper when it happened, and he wound up being the much better Major League player.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
The Fukudome signing got soooo much press, and was followed with soooo much blatant racism, I'm just glad I'm not a Cubs fan. We all heralded the Iguchi signing, which was a blurb in the paper when it happened, and he wound up being the much better Major League player.

The Cub fans were so disrespectful. The 'Horry Kow' stuff was so bad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
Agreed, although Murphy, Hamilton, and Salty had already produced somewhat at the Major League Level prior to being acquired, The Rangers have done a good job at facilitating their development as players.

Has Salty improved behind the plate or something over the last year? He's still young, but his minor league and Major League numbers since the Tex deal aren't exactly impressive, and he actually struck out at a higher rate last year in Triple A than he did with Atlanta in the Majors.

David Murphy is a mediocre baseball player. His numbers are a product of Texas:

League average: .268/.336/.421

Murphy in 2008: .275/.321/.465

Road in 2008: .257/.308/.444

Home in 2008: .294/.335/.488

That's for a corner OF. He's just a mediocre player, like Hank Blalock, Ramon Vazquez, and GMJ, and when you put them in Texas they look good. Whatever the Rangers have done to help these guys pales in comparison to how much they benefit from the park.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Doesnt Kotsay have a neverending disc problem in his back that has limited him for the better part of the last 3 years? When healthy he is nails, but i had him on my fantasy team last year and he didnt seem to be healthy all that much

I don't know the exact nature, but last year yes, that was an issue. I thought he was fine the year before though, and his numbers last year were still pretty decent with ATL.

Seems like a Dye-esque signing to me, in some ways, when we originally acquired him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
I don't know the exact nature, but last year yes, that was an issue. I thought he was fine the year before though, and his numbers last year were still pretty decent with ATL.

Seems like a Dye-esque signing to me, in some ways, when we originally acquired him.

I disagree. Dye broke his leg in a freak accident, but he was pretty consistent in games played outside of the year after he broke his leg, Kotsay has been missing 30 games or more for the past 3 years

Kotsay

Dye

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
Every team other than the Cubs, and every legit baseball fan, knew that that Soriano signing was an awful one. I laughed when I saw Dempster's contract. He's a decent enough pitcher and had an excellent season last year, but that's a lot of money.

The Iguchi deal and the Shingo deal worked out so well because they were smart, fiscally responsible signings. If they failed, then it's only a couple million and there's a chance you can unload them to another team without eating the salary. And if you have to eat the salary, no big deal, it's not going to be a huge wrench in the long-term planning. Fukudome was dumb though, and I can't believe the Sox were actually interested in that guy. His main offensive skill was OBP but he wasn't a CF, and he was coming from Japan where you knew the power numbers would drop. To give that much money and that many years to a Japanese hitter was very stupid and I'm just thankful Kenny didn't end up with that. The guy can still be a decent player, but he's never going to play up to his salary.