Brent Lillibridge

Heads22

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:47 AM)
We won a fancy trophy by curing a ton of hiccups a few years ago.

I'll be honest, I think Bailey is definitely curable. Lillibridge is likely to be nothing more than a utility player. Marquez, on the other hand, scares the crap out of me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
So his 2008 trainwreck should be ignored. OK. Just a hiccup.

What did you think of Carlos Quentin's 2007 trainwreck? I'm curious. Obviously not that I think Lillibridge is going to be Carlos Quentin but the situations are pretty comparable.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
What did you think of Carlos Quentin's 2007 trainwreck? I'm curious. Obviously not that I think Lillibridge is going to be Carlos Quentin but the situations are pretty comparable.

I liked the Quentin trade. They are 2 very different players. Quentin still hit the crap out of the ball in AAA in 2007.

I get it. Every minor league position player KW acquires will be like Quentin.

Every Cuban KW signs will be like Ramirez.

Every minor league pitcher KW trades for will be like Floyd.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
I liked the Quentin trade. They are 2 very different players. Quentin still hit the crap out of the ball in AAA in 2007.

Are you insulting G*d's ears?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
So his 2008 trainwreck should be ignored. OK. Just a hiccup.

No. Of course not.

But when good prospects have bad years that doesn't suggest that they're garbage. Does it?

Look at the great "bad-year-bounce" pickups the Sox have had during the KW era...

Jenks, Quentin, Thornton, and Floyd are all good examples.

Am I implying that he'll pan out as well as those guys? Again... no.

But what's the hurry to put a fork in a guy whose only had one bad year? And only one year ago was considered one of the top 100 prospects in baseball??

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)

No, none of that is my point. I don't think it's out of the question that Lillibridge bounces back after a down year after being bought low on. I think that's more likely than the idea that he suddenly faded into oblivion actually. He could be no more than a bench player, he could be a MLB starter, who knows.

In any case we are ruining Heads's thread.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
No, none of that is my point. I don't think it's out of the question that Lillibridge bounces back after a down year after being bought low on. I think that's more likely than the idea that he suddenly faded into oblivion actually. He could be no more than a bench player, he could be a MLB starter, who knows.

In any case we are ruining Heads's thread.

Well, SUPPOSEDLY, he was battling a wrist injury/nagging problem and he adjusted his swing (as is normal, to compensate for injury to play through it, especially when given a legit shot to start in the big leagues) and ended up completely messing his mechanics up.

That's the KW story at least.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
He's not a member of the Dash! He's a White Sock.!

Even better one, Brent "Bag of Dick" Lillebridge. The B first name with the B in the nickname, it's called alliteration, makes for a good nickname if you can't come up with one that rhymes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Well, SUPPOSEDLY, he was battling a wrist injury/nagging problem and he adjusted his swing (as is normal, to compensate for injury to play through it, especially when given a legit shot to start in the big leagues) and ended up completely messing his mechanics up.

That's the KW story at least.

Why yes! And, when spending time in Mexico, he throws only a tick or two less than Bobby Jenks!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)

that would be like saying:

OK I get it. Everyone who has a bad statistical year after being successful will always suck. He will never be able to rebound.

Just because someone has a bad season doesn't mean they will not be successful. I'm not saying he will be successful but there's no need to be so down on a player because he was highly thought of and had a poor season.