NBC decides to F Conan over....

Cali

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-jaylenon...0,2813744.story

Leno, who's stepping down from "The Tonight Show" in May to make way for Conan O'Brien, will be handed the reins of the 10 p.m. timeslot five nights a week, according to multiple news reports. A formal announcement from NBC is expected on Tuesday.

So, Leno not only takes attention away from Conan, he probably takes away plenty of big stars from going on the Tonight Show cause Leno, inexplicably (Thanks a lot Grandma and Grandpa), gets the big ratings.

Good job NBC....

How long before they just give The Tonight Show back to Jay cause Conan's humor doesnt translate to the "white hairs" and doesn't get the stellar ratings?

TOTAL dick move indeed.

Basically NBC gave The Tonight Show BACK to Jay and is leaving Conan with nothing. He wont be able to book anyone cause they'll go to Jay first. I mean is Tom Cruise is gonna go on Conan to promote his new movie in a year, or is he gonna go with the safe bet?

A Leno show at 10 p.m. every weeknight will also shrink the available real estate for comedies, dramas and other fare on NBC. Shows like "Law & Order: SVU" would likely move back an hour to 9 p.m., while competition for the remaining time periods becomes even more fierce.

This is actually a ballsy, original move by NBC, but my bet is no one wants Leno at 9, I mean, he's competing with Lost, CSI, etc.

If there's anything these white hairs like more than Leno, it's CSI.

Edited by Steve9347

I'm wondering what changes he makes in the format and style. I don't think the same old stuff will work unless they are banking his audience is going to bed earlier and would prefer to catch his show before the 10:00 News.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm wondering what changes he makes in the format and style. I don't think the same old stuff will work unless they are banking his audience is going to bed earlier and would prefer to catch his show before the 10:00 News.

Well I would fall under that category so this is good news to me.

I can't remember where I read it, but NBC stands to save $13 million a week on this move, which is for 42 weeks of shows. That's a big chunk of change. Plus factor in the increased ad rev they'll prolly get for being in a more prime-time slot. For once NBC might have made a smart move. Though you have to wonder how much more $ they would save if they could find some decent creative talent to makes some shows worth watching, instead of the crap they've got and that they continue to put out.

I don't watch Conan, but I always thought it was strange he signed a contract 4 years before it was supposed to start.

I do think this is a really good move for NBC. I actually don't mind it so much as a big Conan fan because I think he gets more of the people that are good on his show when he doesn't have to deal with the huge stars(which I never find as funny). This will save NBC huge money over a scripted drama, plus it will be a good fall back for people on nights where they don't have a show that they watch regularly.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
I do think this is a really good move for NBC. I actually don't mind it so much as a big Conan fan because I think he gets more of the people that are good on his show when he doesn't have to deal with the huge stars(which I never find as funny). This will save NBC huge money over a scripted drama, plus it will be a good fall back for people on nights where they don't have a show that they watch regularly.

You are assuming that the bland, stale, white bread style of humor that Jay has dumbed his show down to will translate to those people. This is yucky.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
You are assuming that the bland, stale, white bread style of humor that Jay has dumbed his show down to will translate to those people. This is yucky.

he's getting pretty good ratings now so I assume it will translate. I won't be watching much, but someone will.