Rod Blagojevich officially facing federal corruption charges

Steve9347

Rod Blagojevich and a large number of his staff including his brother are officially facing federal corruption charges.

Blagojevich, 52, , was charged 16 felony counts, including racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud, extortion conspiracy, attempted extortion and making false statements to federal agents. He allegedly used his office in numerous matters involving state appointments, business, legislation and pension fund investments to seek or obtain such financial benefits as money, campaign contributions, and employment for himself and others, in exchange for official actions, including trying to leverage his authority to appoint a United States Senator, announced Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's official! Blago signs deal for reality TV show

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/04/blagojevich...celebrity-.html

Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich has made a deal to star in NBC's upcoming summer reality show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here, the network confirms.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/04...ality-show.html

Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich is in talks to star in "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here," a survival-style reality show set to air June 1 on NBC, sources said.

His attorney, Sheldon Sorosky, told a federal judge Tuesday that Blagojevich soon would be making a request to loosen the travel restrictions placed on him. Such a move would allow the disgraced ex-governor to travel to Costa Rica for the program's filming this summer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
That makes no sense. You can see his hair on Google Earth.

i know, but they still wouldn't let him. something about 'could wear a hat to disguise' or somethign. sounds unfair to me.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Maybe they were worried that his hair would increase global warming by creating a umbrella effect that would trap the heat in costa rica.

Doesn't work that way.

What you need to do is keep him away from the polar, ice-covered regions. He could be a weapon up there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Doesn't work that way.

What you need to do is keep him away from the polar, ice-covered regions. He could be a weapon up there.

LOL, even an obvious joke is corrected by Balta

• 1 month later...

Blagojevich Jury May Be Kept Anonymous To Avoid Pressure

The judge hearing the case of former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich says he may want the jury to remain anonymous throughout the trial.

Judge James Zagel says he's been receiving letters from the public telling him how he should rule in the Blagojevich case. He worries that the same would happen to jurors if their identities were made public. Prosecutors are estimating that it will take three months, give or take a couple weeks, for them to present their evidence.

Defense attorneys didn't give an estimate of how long it'll take them to present their case. Zagel says he'd like to see the trial start by July 1 of next year by the latest. But things moved slowly in court yesterday as the judge dove into the details of the staplers, pens and paper that the defense team needs. Zagel is allowing Blagojevich to use campaign funds to pay for his defense but he's put tight restrictions on how that money can be spent.

So far Zagel's limited the defense team to three attorneys though he says he might consider adding a forth.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Appeals court tossed out a handful of his convictions the other day, some interesting legal analysis here.

He'll still be in jail for a while on the other charges.

Long story short: Blago trying to trade appointing Jarrett to the Senate (as Obama's replacement) in exchange for an appointment to Obama's cabinet isn't illegal.

Edited by StrangeSox