Our old friends the Braves want JD

Steve9347

WFAN's Sweeney Murti says the Braves are in serious discussions with the White Sox regarding Jermaine Dye.

It had been previously reported that the Braves had interest, so this is believable. Obviously, a Dye acquisition would clear the way for the Braves to trade Jeff Francoeur to the Royals for Zack Greinke, Joakim Soria and 1,000,000 shares of Walmart stock.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
What do they have left that we'd want?

Williams actually didn't get any of their top prospects with the last trade. The Braves have 2 good CF prospects in their system in Schaefer (sp?) and Hernandez. You'd have to hope for one of them rather than "major league ready pitching" like Reyes. Ugh.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
Williams actually didn't get any of their top prospects with the last trade. The Braves have 2 good CF prospects in their system in Schaefer (sp?) and Hernandez. You'd have to hope for one of them rather than "major league ready pitching" like Reyes. Ugh.

Flowers and Lillbridge were top prospects for them, although Lillibridge might have been outside the top-10. He was close though.

They've still got more. Morton/Reyes + Schafer/Gorkys + possibly another prospect should get Dye.

THey'd be looking for pitching, but the Braves also have some outfield prospects or a guy like Francouer whose value is down (Kenny likes buying guys whose value is down) and they also have some pitching prospects. Gorky's Hernandez is still very young and the Braves have soured on him a bit as well. I'd like either of the above in addition to a front line pitching prospect for Dye.

All that said...Shafer is the guy I'd be targetting. He's been comapred to Grady Sizemore and looks like a very solid major league centerfielder. They also have a lot of raw high ceiling arms in the system.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Flowers and Lillbridge were top prospects for them, although Lillibridge might have been outside the top-10. He was close though.

They've still got more. Morton/Reyes + Schafer/Gorkys + possibly another prospect should get Dye.

In all honesty, given the way things have gone so far this offseason, I doubt the Sox can pry away Schaefer or Gorkys. I would imagine they could get one of Reyes or Morton with some low-level semi-prospect thrown. If Williams gets more he'll have done a great job.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
If we asked for Bailey from the Reds, we'll look for pitching, I'm assuming. Hanson isn't moving, so this is where you get your Jo-Jo Reyes and those other two guys whose names escape me and then I vomit.

Two Sox scouts talked KW out of taking Reyes in the Vazquez deal. That's why we ended up with Jon Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez instead. So, I doubt Reyes would be part of a Dye deal.

Who else then? The Braves system is pretty loaded.

Here's their 2008 preseason Top 10 list...

TOP TEN BRAVES PROSPECTS

1. Jordan Schafer, of

2. Jason Heyward, of

3. Jair Jurrjens, rhp

4. Brandon Jones, of

5. Gorkys Hernandez, of

6. Brent Lillibridge, ss

7. Cole Rohrbough, lhp

8. Jeff Locke, lhp

9. Tommy Hanson, rhp

10. Julio Teheran, rhp

The top 3 performance-wise in the 2008 season were:

- Jason Heyward

- Freddie Freeman (1B in A-ball this year)

- Tommy Hanson (who is 'untouchable')

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
THey'd be looking for pitching, but the Braves also have some outfield prospects or a guy like Francouer whose value is down (Kenny likes buying guys whose value is down) and they also have some pitching prospects. Gorky's Hernandez is still very young and the Braves have soured on him a bit as well. I'd like either of the above in addition to a front line pitching prospect for Dye.

All that said...Shafer is the guy I'd be targetting. He's been comapred to Grady Sizemore and looks like a very solid major league centerfielder. They also have a lot of raw high ceiling arms in the system.

I think KW intends on getting a pitcher. I don't think Marquez will be our 4th starter. I think he will have to battle it out with CR/AP for 5th with the losers trying to find a way into the bullpen. The Sox need another starter and it would be better to get the pitcher with Dye and get the position players via free agency. Free agent pitchers want too long and too expensive contracts for the Sox.

I forgot about Hernandez, he's a legit leadoff OF prospect.

Gregor Blanco could be a guy I think we could go after.

Morton and Reyes are 2 other big possibilities.

Don't know if the Braves will deal Schafer, especially if they deal Francouer.

What's the 411 on Jo Jo Reyes and Charlie Morton? Are they middle of the rotations ceiling guys or more? I don't think we trade JD for anything but an "ace" type prospect. I'd rather have Brian Anderson in CF with JD in right than have a young unproven CF (Jordan Danks could be up in a couple years) and Jo Jo Reyes instead of Marquez or a FA 5th starter.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
I forgot about Hernandez, he's a legit leadoff OF prospect.

Gregor Blanco could be a guy I think we could go after.

Morton and Reyes are 2 other big possibilities.

Don't know if the Braves will deal Schafer, especially if they deal Francouer.

I'd expect Blanco the least likely to be dealt. He's shown he can play CF, hit MLB pitching and walk whereas Schafer just got busted for roids. They still might want to hang on to Schafer, but I could see him falling down the depth chart quickly.

That said, if Schafer isn't on the table (since Heyward and Hanson won't be and Blanco is unlikely) I'd like a Morton + Gorkys package, and if possible and the Braves are really down on JoJo, send a low-level prospect in the deal and pick him up too.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
What's the 411 on Jo Jo Reyes and Charlie Morton? Are they middle of the rotations ceiling guys or more? I don't think we trade JD for anything but an "ace" type prospect. I'd rather have Brian Anderson in CF with JD in right than have a young unproven CF (Jordan Danks could be up in a couple years) and Jo Jo Reyes instead of Marquez or a FA 5th starter.

Yeah the both have #3-type potential but are barely #5's at the moment. And we're not getting an ace type prospect/project, unless we get one with baggage like Bailey or Edwin Jackson.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
I'd expect Blanco the least likely to be dealt. He's shown he can play CF, hit MLB pitching and walk whereas Schafer just got busted for roids. They still might want to hang on to Schafer, but I could see him falling down the depth chart quickly.

That said, if Schafer isn't on the table (since Heyward and Hanson won't be and Blanco is unlikely) I'd like a Morton + Gorkys package, and if possible and the Braves are really down on JoJo, send a low-level prospect in the deal and pick him up too.

Well the Braves have to trade someone. If the Sox want Bailey+ for Dye, then they aren't settling for Morton and Gorkys. The need someone ready this year.