Our old friends the Braves want JD

Steve9347

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
I'd expect Blanco the least likely to be dealt. He's shown he can play CF, hit MLB pitching and walk whereas Schafer just got busted for roids. They still might want to hang on to Schafer, but I could see him falling down the depth chart quickly.

That said, if Schafer isn't on the table (since Heyward and Hanson won't be and Blanco is unlikely) I'd like a Morton + Gorkys package, and if possible and the Braves are really down on JoJo, send a low-level prospect in the deal and pick him up too.

Hence why I think Blanco could be an excellent long - term fit for us in CF, if we're still looking for a leadoff hitter.

And Frank Wren's not afraid to deal younger players, we've certainly seen that over his time as GM.

But Morton and Gorkys could certainly be attainable.

Might be time to change your username also. :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be PRETTY SURE that either Reyes or Morton were turned down as the final piece of the Vazquel deal.

If KW was talked out of acquiring "a major league ready pitcher" for Santos Rodriguez and Gilmore, why would he turn around and then acquire one of them, especially when that's EXACTLY what he was APPARENTLY looking for in order to fill out our rotation at that point, or at the very least, provide depth with Marquez/CR/AP?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
We can be PRETTY SURE that either Reyes or Morton were turned down as the final piece of the Vazquel deal.

If KW was talked out of acquiring "a major league ready pitcher" for Santos Rodriguez and Gilmore, why would he turn around and then acquire one of them, especially when that's EXACTLY what he was APPARENTLY looking for in order to fill out our rotation at that point, or at the very least, provide depth with Marquez/CR/AP?

heh

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Well the Braves have to trade someone. If the Sox want Bailey+ for Dye, then they aren't settling for Morton and Gorkys. The need someone ready this year.

True, but we also don't know the full details about those discussions. Perhaps the hang-up is that the Sox want more if they're to be eating salary or assuming a bad contract like Ryan Freel, while the Reds feel that to give up more they'd have to get more.

On paper, Gorkys is a much better prospect than Dickerson, Roenicke, and Maloney who have been mentioned by Reds fans, and Morton may be a safer bet to become a good pitcher in the big leagues than Bailey is. Bailey obviously has the highest ceiling, but it's very possible that Kenny wants to get back a couple of players as sort of a safety net. I wouldn't call it quantity over quality, but it's possible Kenny is looking for a good player who is a safer bet along with another player with bigger potential, and that guy can be the wildcard of the deal.

I read that that wasn't the case. Neither were among the 5 players of which Kenny could pick four. I read the other name when it came out but forgot who it was because I'd never heard of him. Maybe Kenny could have picked up Morton or Reyes instead of Gilmore and Rodriguez or instead of Lillibridge, but I doubt either of those guys were held in the same regard as say Gilmore.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
True, but we also don't know the full details about those discussions. Perhaps the hang-up is that the Sox want more if they're to be eating salary or assuming a bad contract like Ryan Freel, while the Reds feel that to give up more they'd have to get more.

On paper, Gorkys is a much better prospect than Dickerson, Roenicke, and Maloney who have been mentioned by Reds fans, and Morton may be a safer bet to become a good pitcher in the big leagues than Bailey is. Bailey obviously has the highest ceiling, but it's very possible that Kenny wants to get back a couple of players as sort of a safety net. I wouldn't call it quantity over quality, but it's possible Kenny is looking for a good player who is a safer bet along with another player with bigger potential, and that guy can be the wildcard of the deal.

Kinda like getting Massett (who was supposedly just a tick below Jenks) as the safe bet along with Danks in the McCarthy deal.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Hence why I think Blanco could be an excellent long - term fit for us in CF, if we're still looking for a leadoff hitter.

And Frank Wren's not afraid to deal younger players, we've certainly seen that over his time as GM.

Why would the Sox go from discussing a guy who was a top 10 prospect at a given point in time to talking about a guy like Morton who has a live arm but is pretty much a project. That would be an awful deal for the Sox. You want to make a deal with the braves and it starts with Shaffer or Hansen and potentially includes another guy or two.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
You want to make a deal with the braves and it starts with Shaffer or Hansen and potentially includes another guy or two.

Agreed. We absolutely do not have to trade Dye (as he could be worth a lot at the trade deadline too. If we are trading him, we better get a king's ransom...or at least one top 5 prospect or else, we can just keep him for now.

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)

Morton's numbers don't look very good. I'm doubtful he's a MLB pitcher much less a safe bet.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

I'd like Blanco too, but I think the Braves probably like him more than we do. He's actually a pretty good player and is probably one of the main reasons why they'll be able to trade for Dye, being that he's so inexpensive.

About my username, there's no point in changing it because half of these guys will be gone in trades by the end of the next offseason. I think we keep Flowers though.

Maybe the scouts said the other 2 were better, not that the guy he was about to get was a stiff. They compared Rodriquez to Thornton and Gilmore to Crede, we will see in a few years. Unless the Braves want to give up one of their top prospects, I say why bother?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Morton's numbers don't look very good. I'm doubtful he's a MLB pitcher much less a safe bet.

I don't think he's a safe bet either, just saying that perhaps some Sox people would think that. I'm just trying to come up with a reason to explain why the Sox would pass on Bailey and then go after the Braves prospects again, knowing that Hansen is off the table (he was deemed untouchable even in the Peavy negotiations).

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Kinda like getting Massett (who was supposedly just a tick below Jenks) as the safe bet along with Danks in the McCarthy deal.

Yeah, although I don't know where the Sox got their information and I hope the person delivering that info was one of those sent out of the organization. I'd add that Rasner was the wildcard in that deal, a low-level prospect who at the time drew comparisons to Garland.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't think he's a safe bet either, just saying that perhaps some Sox people would think that. I'm just trying to come up with a reason to explain why the Sox would pass on Bailey and then go after the Braves prospects again, knowing that Hansen is off the table (he was deemed untouchable even in the Peavy negotiations).

Probably because this deal won't happen. Unless the Braves are willing to dealing something of value that the Sox need, they aren't getting Dye.

Just like Josh Rupe was the "wildcard" when we traded him...or Matt Guerrier was going to be "the next Maddux" according to McClendon and the Pirates' GM at the time. Yeah, they really ripped off KW and gave up that Marte kid, who they weren't even going to keep on the roster because of a numbers game in the bullpen.

If Carlos Torres lights the world on fire with the Royals, it will be the first time a young White Sox starting prospect has amounted TO ANYTHING this decade, unless you want to count Brandon McCarthy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Why would the Sox go from discussing a guy who was a top 10 prospect at a given point in time to talking about a guy like Morton who has a live arm but is pretty much a project. That would be an awful deal for the Sox. You want to make a deal with the braves and it starts with Shaffer or Hansen and potentially includes another guy or two.

Consider this from the Braves P.O.V then.

They don't give up Hanson for Peavy. Why would they then give up Hanson for 1 season of an aging corner OF, when they could just go out and sign Bobby Abreu instead?

Hanson's stock is much higher than say Bailey's is ATM, even though I think Bailey could turn out to be the better pitcher.

I'd love to get Hanson for Dye, I just don't think it's very realistic.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah, although I don't know where the Sox got their information and I hope the person delivering that info was one of those sent out of the organization. I'd add that Rasner was the wildcard in that deal, a low-level prospect who at the time drew comparisons to Garland.

Rasner blew, and now Marquez is compared to Garland, and the real Garland is available and I don't think many people around here would want him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
If Carlos Torres lights the world on fire with the Royals, it will be the first time a young White Sox starting prospect has amounted TO ANYTHING, unless you want to count Brandon McCarthy.

Buh?

Buehrle?

Garland (from Cubs)?

Any number of relievers?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Just like Josh Rupe was the "wildcard" when we traded him...or Matt Guerrier was going to be "the next Maddux" according to McClendon and the Pirates' GM at the time. Yeah, they really ripped off KW and gave up that Marte kid, who they weren't even going to keep on the roster because of a numbers game in the bullpen.

If Carlos Torres lights the world on fire with the Royals, it will be the first time a young White Sox starting prospect has amounted TO ANYTHING this decade, unless you want to count Brandon McCarthy.

That's Dan Cortes I assume you're thinking about?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)

Daniel Cortes not Carlos Torres.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Buh?

Buehrle?

Garland (from Cubs)?

Any number of relievers?

Yes, you have to go back 9-10 years to Buehrle and Garland, and Garland didn't start with us and spent very little time in the minors before coming up in 2000 at age 19/20.

I guess you can count Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, Rocky Biddle and Danny Wright as amounting to something if you wish (or even Rauch/Majewski)...but since then, zippo, except for McCarthy.

Even Frank Francisco spent a lot more time with the Red Sox than the White Sox before we flipped him for Everett.

Edited by caulfield12