C.C. Sabathia a Yankee

lostfan

Say what you want about playing close to home and getting to bat...when someone offers you $30-40 million more guaranteed than any other team, you just cant say no.

Good for him on getting paid like that and I hope he continues the streak of the Yankees not winning World Series.

In order to get the deal completed, ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney reports that the Yankees added a seventh year to their original six-year, $140-million offer, bringing the total package to seven years and $160 million -- by far the biggest contract for any pitcher in history.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
He'll be on the White Sox by 2012, after several subpar years and persistent injury issues force his removal from New York. The Yankees will pay half his remaining contract.

I disagree.

I think it's more likely that Philip Hughes is on the White Sox by 2010, looking to re-find the stuff that made him such a highly sought after commodity.

Sabathia...the Yankees aren't going to pay him that much to go away (see Pavano, Carl).

Also worth noting...the Brewers this year turned Matt LaPorta in to:

1. Their first playoff appearance in decades (and a decent amount of fan-based good will/excitement)

2. The 26th pick in the first round next year

3. A Sandwich pick.

They also gave up Robert Bryson, Zach Jackson, and a PTBNL I'm not sure about, but the star of the deal was LaPorta, and turning him in to 2 picks in the top 40 of the draft really isn't a bad move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
Also worth noting...the Brewers this year turned Matt LaPorta in to:

1. Their first playoff appearance in decades (and a decent amount of fan-based good will/excitement)

2. The 26th pick in the first round next year

3. A Sandwich pick.

They also gave up Robert Bryson, Zach Jackson, and a PTBNL I'm not sure about, but the star of the deal was LaPorta, and turning him in to 2 picks in the top 40 of the draft really isn't a bad move.

Eh, LaPorta is going to be a monster... but the playoff appearance alone I am sure was worth it to fans who haven't seen that in a long time. Getting two picks hopefully will get them something comparable to LaPorta.

There are only a handful of teams in MLB who can absorb the financial impact of a long-term deal that goes bad early in the contract. It's not about the actual amount of money, but the years. It really gets old seeing the market automatically narrow like that.