Is there a list of potential non-tender candidates out there?

Chisoxfn

Obviously, McLane ordered the dumping of salaries, starting now, and Wigginton's certainly not a player that fits in their future plans.

This is where a team like the Twins can come along and plug in either Wigginton or get the Astros to eat half of Tejada's salary and move him to 3B or leave him at SS (not a great idea on turf).

The Twins' option are Cuddyer (horrible defensively at that position), Buscher and Harris for 3B. Our options are Fields, Betemit and Viciedo. About a wash...with the White Sox definitely having the upper hand going forward.

The Twins turned down $20 million and 3 years for Blake, refusing to go past 2 years, FWIW. It will be interesting to see how much they're willing to pay Wigginton for one year.

Scott Proctor-R- Dodgers Dec. 12 - 9:31 pm et

Dodgers non-tendered RHP Scott Proctor.

Proctor finally broke down last season and underwent elbow surgery after the season. He's expected to be ready for spring training, but it looks like he'll finally escape Joe Torre's grasp.

Yhency Brazoban-R- Dodgers Dec. 12 - 9:30 pm et

Dodgers non-tendered RHP Yhency Brazoban.

Brazoban, once looked at as a potential closer, has battled shoulder problems since returning from Tommy John surgery in 2007 and now looks like a long shot to have much of a career as a reliever. Then again, it could help that the lack of a paycheck will force him to cut back on junk food.

Yes and yes if they could be signed to cheap/minor league deals. Potential depth, or nothing. I'm good with rolling the dice with these two.

I might've said it before, but in case I didn't, I'll say it again: We need another lefty in the bullpen to keep a lefty-righty balance. So far the only lefty lock is Thornton, and even if we sent one of CR/AP to the bullpen, we still need a 3rd lefty, preferably a veteran, that would help keep Thornton from being overworked. I suggest Wilfredo Ledezma, I think he would be a serviceable lefty from the pen and I think he would be tons better than Boone/Horacio. Ledezma impressed me last year during a Padres/Rockies game that went multiple innings, I think it was the game that went 25 innings or so, and that it was or almost was the longest baseball game in history.

Also, speaking on non-tendered players, were any of the players from the 2005 White Sox signed as non-tendered free agents? Wasn't Dustin Hermanson one? Or is my memory hazy?

We'd be "okay" or fine without three lefties in my opinion....as long as the second lefty is not a "loogy" but someone who can pitch multiple innings, which Poreda and/or Richard would be.

However, Ledezma absolutely dominated the White Sox once upon a time with the Tigers and has a pretty resilient arm, as well as the flexibility to spot start as another "swing" man. I think he might be as high on KW's radar screen as Daniel Cabrera, even.

The more quality arms (like John Van Beschoten, Cabrera and Ledezma) that we throw into the 4th/5th starter mix, the better off we'll be obviously.

What about Aaron Miles? I know we have a ton of 2nd base options but I thought I would throw his name out there. I am going to be honest and say I do not know how he is defensively but it sounds like he would get about 2.5 million. He is a switch hitter and had a .317 BA last year but his OBP was .355. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Aaron Miles isn't going to be coming back to Chicago, although the symmetry would be interesting with Uribe finally leaving after five seasons.

He's very blahhhh/mehhhh defensively, and we already have Betemit and Lillibridge who are much more versatile. Lillibridge, in particular, has the combination of youth, speed and athleticism that KW craves.

I guess there are SOME Miles Fanboys/Fangirls from back in the day that would love to bring Miles and Rowand back, but it's not going to happen (note, I didn't say NEVER, just highly unlikely!)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 07:24 AM)
The more quality arms (like John Van Beschoten, Cabrera and Ledezma) that we throw into the 4th/5th starter mix, the better off we'll be obviously.

You're kidding, right? Why would the Sox be better throwing resources at garbage? Van Beschoten is 28 and has a career ERA over 9.00. Teams don't want him to pitch anymore. Cabrera never had an ERA at or below league average. Ledezma has never thrown more tha 85 innings at the big league level. KW already tried signing a bunch of garbage and having them compete in spring training for a job. That was the 2006 bullpen. We know how that turned out. In fact, it turned out so horribly, KW had to go get Mike MacDougal and sign him to an extension. Might as well throw him into the mix.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
Aaron Miles isn't going to be coming back to Chicago, although the symmetry would be interesting with Uribe finally leaving after five seasons.

He's very blahhhh/mehhhh defensively, and we already have Betemit and Lillibridge who are much more versatile. Lillibridge, in particular, has the combination of youth, speed and athleticism that KW craves.

I guess there are SOME Miles Fanboys/Fangirls from back in the day that would love to bring Miles and Rowand back, but it's not going to happen (note, I didn't say NEVER, just highly unlikely!)

I don't think Miles is a target or should be, but if these other guys are more versatile, it would be an upset. Miles played 2b,ss,3b,lf,rf,cf and p last season.

Our luck (or talent) has been much better with pitchers, FWIW.

Gavin Floyd

Esteban Loaiza

Contreras

Thornton

Danks (although hardly on the scrap heap)

Takatsu (for awhile at least)

Marte

Hermanson

Politte

Cabrera at least at one point (as recently as 2008) had #1/2 starter ability. Does Jeff Marquez have the same type of stuff as Homer Bailey or even Cabrera? I think not. You're right, Van Beschoten is a low risk, low expectation pick-up. Brad Penny might fall into this same mix.

Ledezma has a quality arm. Would he be better than DJ Carrasco, Wasserman or Jhonny Nunez or Adam Russell? MAYBE!

Yes, the 2006 bullpen experiment turned out to be a failure and also cost us Mr. Cortes...eventually leading to our becoming one of the most expensive bullpens in the majors with the signings of Dotel and Linebrink. However, that's not simply about KW's 2006 gamble, it's more about the complete lack of development over a five year period in the White Sox minor league system...combined with trading away pitchers like Frank Francisco. Look at the last couple of years. Names like Sean Tracey, Agustin Montero, Franklyn German (never appeared), Sierra, Wasserman, Russell, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't think Miles is a target or should be, but if these other guys are more versatile, it would be an upset. Miles played 2b,ss,3b,lf,rf,cf and p last season.

I mean "quality" versatility. Lillibridge legitimately can play all the infield and outfield positions....so I didn't mean "Chone Figgin-ish" or Joe McEwing versatility with that comment.

Betemit is pretty bad defensively wherever you stick him...but would you really rather have Aaron Miles than Betemit? Maybe some here would.

Edited by caulfield12