Tigers acquire Edwin Jackson

Jimmywins1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
You're just f***ing Nostradamus when it comes to baseball. You saw him play, therefore it must be true. Quote this...you don't know squat about judging talent, otherwise you'd be working for a major league baseball team. How many players have you scouted and evaluated? Is Joyce going to be better than future Hall of Famer Ryan Sweeney?

Give me a f***ing break, we can write a book with all your damn predictions.

Oh, and all the Tigers fans I know hate this deal.

It doesn't take a f***ing genius to notice these things. I have been wrong, but I have been right a whole lot more. Think what you want, but don't f***ing insult me, or my intelligence.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
I don't give a crap what Larish did in AA in 07. I saw him play and he won't do s*** in the MLB. Anyone with any knowledge of hitting can see that Larish's approach and all around swing just won't cut it. Unless he changes what he does at the plate, he won't be any better then a bench player.

You can quote me on this. Joyce will easily be a better player then Larish.

The standard BearSox scouting report. :P

"I saw him play... he'll never be any good... you can quote me on this."

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
It doesn't take a f***ing genius to notice these things. I have been wrong, but I have been right a whole lot more. Think what you want, but don't f***ing insult me, or my intelligence.

Could you come to one of my classes and evaluate me? Will I make it in life one day?

He was a product of an over-hyped Double AA team with the Dodgers. This was back when people realized that Logan White was really good at his job. Jackson and a SS named Joel Guzman were placed alongside the likes of Martin and Kemp, but have never developed into the players they were supposed to be.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)

Why is it that you notice things better than most GM's and scouts across baseball? If I could just have one thing this Christmas, I would wish for your baseball acumen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
Hell I would have sent them Josh Fields who would put up better numbers in LF than Joyce will.

Except they're looking for someone who can play RF against right handed pitching next year. Fields is not an outfielder, they would have to convert him unlike Joyce who can play a good RF right now. In his limited time in LF 2 years ago Fields looked awful so there's really no reason to believe he could play even a bad RF next year. Also, Fields can't hit righties, he's mashed lefties but struggles against righties, so I doubt they'd have any interest even if he could play some OF.

Sounds like an awful fit to me.

Also, I wouldn't trade Fields for Jackson.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
He was a product of an over-hyped Double AA team with the Dodgers. This was back when people realized that Logan White was really good at his job. Jackson and a SS named Joel Guzman were placed alongside the likes of Martin and Kemp, but have never developed into the players they were supposed to be.

I don't know how you can say Jackson is so overrated and then talk about Kemp who is probably the most overrated player on this entire board. Yeah he's a very good player with huge potential and I'd love to have him, but it's not like he didn't post an OPS of .799 last year and K 153 times while hitting .260/.309/.416 against RHP.

Jackson is 24 and has done nothing but improve. No he's not an ace yet, and he may never be, but he's a solid #4/#5 type starter with the upside of an ace who IMO is pretty likely to turn into a good #3. I have no idea how some people can believe that pitchers stop developing at the age of 24.

This is the second low-cost, high-upside, MLB-ready pitcher that over the last half year I really wanted and that KW has allowed his divisional foes to acquire for next to nothing. Jackson was worth the risk and is much more so than Marquez and CR/AP, and the same thing can be said about Anthony Reyes, who the Indians picked up for next to nothing.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
I don't know how you can say Jackson is so overrated and then talk about Kemp who is probably the most overrated player on this entire board

Still, Kemp has produced solid numbers at the big league level while Jackson's K/BB rate continues to be atrocious.