Sox have inside track on Abreu

Hatchetman

Owens hasn't had enough major league experience yet for anyone to really judge. The 30 steals was pretty impressive 2 years ago, so who knows really? But yeah if we could bat him 9th, by far he would be an upgrade over Swish and Anderson, I believe! I really want Abreu and I still strongly believe Dye will be traded. Abreu at the Cell would be an upgrade offensively over Dye because he adds some speed. I say trade Dye, sign Abreu and put him in left, obtain Bailey, sign Furcal. This would be one hell of a offseason. Big difference in that lineup.

Furcal

Abreu

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Fields/Betemit

Ramirez

Owens

We would be a faster team.Dye's salary allows us to sign Furcal and the 17 mill left over allows us to sign Abreu.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
The reason we won in 2005 was outstanding starting pitching. Please review their stats and show me the mediocrity in that bunch. Let me help you out, that teams offense wasn't good. It got hot at the right time. But for most of the year was carried by the best pitching we have had.

Not just the starters - a truly outstanding bullpen.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
The White Sox have the inside track on free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu, according to the New York Daily News.

The Chi Sox would likely want to move Jermaine Dye first and have been in talks with the Reds to do just that. Abreu, 34, batted .296/.371/.471 last season with 20 home runs and 100 RBI. He also stole 22 bases. It's going to take at least a three-year deal to ink him. Dec. 11 - 8:39 am et

Source: New York Daily News

Sounds like the NY news media trying to start something. Just how much would ABREU cost and what would be the reason we would wanht BABreu over JDye? I would rather have Jermaine. He is a better hitter and field player then Abreu IMO

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Sounds like the NY news media trying to start something. Just how much would ABREU cost and what would be the reason we would wanht BABreu over JDye? I would rather have Jermaine. He is a better hitter and field player then Abreu IMO

He may be better in the field, but is not a better hitter at all. He bring a little more power, thats about it. Abreu gets on base more, hits for a higher avg, and hits better with RISP and in the clutch. The reason to want Abreu over Dye is only in the case that Dye brings us pitching and we need to sign a corner OF'er. In that case Abreu+pitching is much more valuable than Dye, probably twice as valuable.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)

Abreu+Bailey/other prospects > Dye

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
He would be, but mostly because he is a pretty clutch hitter.

RISP career

.316 .439 .531

2008 RISP

.296 .372 .450

Dye RISP

.259 .336 .428

2008 RISP

.269 .304 .429

These are numbers with ALOT of at bats. This is something the team has missed, especially last season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
He has been, but Abreu is a better pure hitter than JD.

Dye

05-.274 .333 .512

06-.315 .385 .622

07-.254 .317 .486

08-.292 .344 .541

Abreu

05-.286 .405 .474

06-.277 .427 .434

07-.283 .369 .445

08-.296 .371 .471

Abreu gives us more avg and better OBP, with more hits with RISP . Thats the way I personally want this lineup to look like instead of low avg, low OBP and high SLG.

Posted earlier.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
He may be better in the field, but is not a better hitter at all. He bring a little more power, thats about it. Abreu gets on base more, hits for a higher avg, and hits better with RISP and in the clutch. The reason to want Abreu over Dye is only in the case that Dye brings us pitching and we need to sign a corner OF'er. In that case Abreu+pitching is much more valuable than Dye, probably twice as valuable.

Don't forget, Abreu also still has some speed in him too. Plus homers always come easier on the Southside.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Don't forget, Abreu also still has some speed in him too. Plus homers always come easier on the Southside.

Remember I think, it was the game before the Crede walk-off single off of Joba, when Abreu absolutely crushed that Grand Slam, and our spirits? What does that have to do with this subject? Nothing, just nostalgia

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Remember I think, it was the game before the Crede walk-off single off of Joba, when Abreu absolutely crushed that Grand Slam, and our spirits? What does that have to do with this subject? Nothing, just nostalgia

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...200804220.shtml

Yes I remember feeling down about that.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...200804220.shtml

Yes I remember feeling down about that.

I had to listen to that on YES. Have you ever listened to Michael Kay call a play he considers exciting? It's excruciating. "Jeter, ranges to the left, he scoops, he hops, he throws, whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa What a playyyyyyy by the Yankee Captain!!!!!"

I really would like Abreu on the Southside. Especially if he bats 2nd. He will get a lot of good pitches to hit having God batting behind him. Though if the Sox don't get a real leadoff hitter I won't be too happy with anything.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
I want to puke

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
sums up my thoughts completely.

Why? I don't understand. Abreu consistently puts up .370+ OBP's and put up 5 straight seasons of .400+ OBP from 02 to 06. I'd have absolutely no problem with Abreu at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Why? I don't understand. Abreu consistently puts up .370+ OBP's and put up 5 straight seasons of .400+ OBP from 02 to 06. I'd have absolutely no problem with Abreu at all.

Not if the money's right and we have a reasonable buyout and/or option, then it would be okay with me. Ozzie's call, along with KW and JR obviously.