Sox have inside track on Abreu

Hatchetman

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 03:52 AM)
Not if the money's right and we have a reasonable buyout and/or option, then it would be okay with me. Ozzie's call, along with KW and JR obviously.

Those are exactly my thoughts on the issue. Abreu could really be a huge addition for this offense. He's not going to make or break the offense, but with him getting on base and in scoring position as much as he does at the top of the order, the Sox could really score a boatload of runs. He's not the savior, but not many guys are.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abreu would be a nice addition. He could slide over to DH in 2010 for the last 2 yrs of his deal [if its a 3 yr deal, or a 2 yr with the 3rd an option]. His ability to hit for avg, OBP skills, and ability to hit for XBH [40+ 2b's like Dye] would make up for the loss of Dye.

Like many have said, Abreu + Bailey + Of prospect > Dye.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Why? I don't understand. Abreu consistently puts up .370+ OBP's and put up 5 straight seasons of .400+ OBP from 02 to 06. I'd have absolutely no problem with Abreu at all.

Because I think we'd be doing to opposite of what we would need to do, get younger, faster, and hopefully better defensively. I don't see the point in trading Dye and signing Abreu to probably a 3 year contract worth around 30 million or more. I think Dye is a lot better, and I'd much rather keep Dye and use the money on a free agenct pitcher.

If they can get Abreu for something like $15-18 million for two years (guaranteed) and an option for a 3rd, it's okay.

The most athletically gifted (if healthy) of the possible FA LFers is probably Juan Rivera. Milton Bradley would have been up there before all of his various injuries. Maybe Hermida as well.

I agree Dunn, Ibanez, Abreu and Burrell don't bring much to the club (or are actually detriments) defensively. Then again, we can't have Endy Chavez playing LF either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
If they can get Abreu for something like $15-18 million for two years (guaranteed) and an option for a 3rd, it's okay.

The most athletically gifted (if healthy) of the possible FA LFers is probably Juan Rivera. Milton Bradley would have been up there before all of his various injuries. Maybe Hermida as well.

I agree Dunn, Ibanez, Abreu and Burrell don't bring much to the club (or are actually detriments) defensively. Then again, we can't have Endy Chavez playing LF either.

If Ibanez just got 3/$30M then I wouldn't be shocked to see Abreu get the same. I'd be surprised to see the Sox move Dye if Abreu is almost the same price.

I just don't know about Abreu getting the same money as Ibanez...it's a strange signing.

To go to an NL team, at his age, for one year too many (at this point), and with his increasingly horrendous defensively abilities...odd.

It does mean that more and more the Sox focus will turn from Abreu and perhaps to more of a "value" player like Juan Rivera.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
Because I think we'd be doing to opposite of what we would need to do, get younger, faster, and hopefully better defensively. I don't see the point in trading Dye and signing Abreu to probably a 3 year contract worth around 30 million or more. I think Dye is a lot better, and I'd much rather keep Dye and use the money on a free agenct pitcher.

Why do you say Dye is alot better exactly? He doesnt hit as well as Abreu, are you saying in the field?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)

Abreu, who's apparently really slow according to everyone here, still had 22 steals last yr (though I believe he was caught 11 times) and would have led the 2008 White Sox by 3. Abreu is what we're looking for in hitters; balance. He hits for good average, gets on base, is a smart baserunner, and still has some good pop, which the Cell would obviously aid. He's a consistent hitter. Not to say Dye isn't consistent, but Abreu is quite a bit better with RISP and is less HR-or-nothing than Dye.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
It does mean that more and more the Sox focus will turn from Abreu and perhaps to more of a "value" player like Juan Rivera.

I hope you're wrong. I really like what Abreu can do for our lineup, plus we'll need another lefty bat with Thome gone after this season. Hopefully, Brandon Allen will add to our left-handedness in '10-'11, but I'm not going to count on it completely. The other young-uns filling the lineup in coming years, excepting Getz possibly, are all righties - Viciedo, Beckham. I like a balanced lineup that burns up the opposition's bullpen one batter at a time. You wind up getting better situations against lesser relievers.

With Ibanez now signed with Philly, it will make other teams (Cubs for instance) move more quickly on Abreu. Kenny needs to act soon with a Dye or Konerko trade if it's gonna happen.

Go ahead and sign already, Tex! Or maybe the Angels know already that they won't be keeping Tex, and it could happen anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
I'm shocked this is still being discussed. On the Score they flatly denied the rumor saying it was made up by Abreu's agent.

You mean they didnt confirm that they were looking at replacement OF'ers if they trade one of their current starters? THATS CRAZY!!!!

They 100 percent have spoken to Abreu's agent.

With Ibanez signing in Philly, that's one less guy on the Angels list of potential bats. If Tex signs with someone else, they will be very limited and will certainly look to the Sox. I've thought all along that Abreu would be on the Sox next year and hopefully it's to replace Konerko with Dye moving to 1b. Move Konerko for Weaver and Figgins,sign Abreu, and move Dye to 1B.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
With Ibanez signing in Philly, that's one less guy on the Angels list of potential bats. If Tex signs with someone else, they will be very limited and will certainly look to the Sox. I've thought all along that Abreu would be on the Sox next year and hopefully it's to replace Konerko with Dye moving to 1b. Move Konerko for Weaver and Figgins,sign Abreu, and move Dye to 1B.

Chester, are you really being serious?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
It's pretty damn unlikely that the Angels would deal Weaver for PK straight up, let alone including Figgins into the mix.

Alot will depend on if they make the move to pick up Peavy. That would make Weaver the #5 starter behind Peavy,Lackey,Santana, and Saunders.Of course,he may be included in the Peavy deal.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:21 AM)
Would this be a feasable trade? Dye and Konerko for Weaver, Figgins and Morales.

Nope, you have two "affordable/young" players in Weaver and Morales for two bigger, expiring contracts.

Figgins fits because he'd likely be gone after 2009 and then you should be able to Type A him...however, that's not a certainty, especially if he goes Furcal on his and continues to be injury-prone. Substitute Willits for Morales and you're closer, but I still don't see moving a younger/affordable starting pitcher in Weaver for Dye or Konerko (or combination thereof).

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)

Yes, we can dream. I'd like to keep JD over Paulie, but we shouldn't expect he'll have the same value AND we don't know if he can play 1B do we?

I DO want Abreu however, and these moves need to happen quickly or he'll be gone.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
I am astonished that you're shocked by this.

Agreed. Since when has the Score been the ultimate authority?

Jesse Rogers has nothing on any of us fools. KW is just as likely to intentionally mislead a media lesser-light like Rogers, as he is to provide inside info.