Where would you rather have Alexei?

Heads22

Where would you rather have Alexei in the field?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a position.

• SS
    • 2B
    • CF

Why do people have a problem with Alexei in CF?

IIRC, he had more experience there in Cuba than he did at second base. And he even ended up learning 2b just fine.

He'd have the range and the arm.

Meanwhile I like Getz over the in-house options at CF. So if we can get Furcal, move Alexei to CF.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
You may not like Anderson/Owens and Getz/Lillibridge/Nix, but if the reality is we don't have the money to make a move on Furcal or Hudson barring a trade of another highly salaried player, the choices are between:

SS Lexi

CF Anderson Owens

2b G/L/N

versus

CF Lexi

SS Getz

2b Lillibridge/Nix

or

2b Lexi

CF Anderson Owens

SS Getz

I'd take the first option with Alexei at short, Getz at second, Anderson in CF. Lillibridge would play all three as a utility man and Owens would be playing for the Pirates.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Why do people have a problem with Alexei in CF?

IIRC, he had more experience there in Cuba than he did at second base. And he even ended up learning 2b just fine.

He'd have the range and the arm.

Meanwhile I like Getz over the in-house options at CF. So if we can get Furcal, move Alexei to CF.

I think with some, not even too much more time at second he will shine. He's shown flashes of brilliance last year. Let him establish himself on offense (because one great season is NOT establishing yourself) before you start moving him around, and when you do, it can be to short. Some plays were astounding, but there were times that I'd kinda groan. Such things are only to be expected in your first ML season, and will only improve. I for one never get tired of his glove-flips. He'd be hard pressed to do that from the outfield.

As far as CF, with the way this offseason is going, why not finally give Anderson the chance to either win the spot long term, or be a career backup.

I really don't want Getz, Nix, or Lillibridge to start next year. Or Betemit. My opinion of that group is "backup/utility". Of the group I think Lillibridge has the most promise, and hope he bounces back in ST to give some immediate return from the Javy trade.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
Do you folks think KW and Oz will bail on him at ss if say, he stinks there in spring training? I mean obviously I want him in the lineup, but if he is sucking at ss, would they pull the plug and put him back at 2B?

Who would they put at SS?

I just think that if as a rookie he produced, mainly at 2B, you keep him there for the time being simply for the mental security. If it ain't broke... It's likely that at or around the time you're sure about what you have with Ramirez there will be a legitimate replacement at 2nd allowing him to slide on over to short. OF shouldn't even be in the equation knowing that soon enough you may have an infield of Fields/Ramirez/Beckham/Viciedo- assuming they all pan out, but hey, that looks to be the direction management is counting on. Either sign a CF, or wait for BA or even Owens to validate their respective grace periods. And also stay away from Willy Taveras.

SS is the position he played the least in Cuba. I am concerned about him adapting to a new position. You will see him not covering 2B when somebody steals second, etc. He is not accostumed to it. He will have to develope a routine in SS at 26 or 27 years of age. I think we are asking a lot from him.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
This would benefit the ChiSox a lot.

Alexei CF

Furcal SS

Anybody at 2B

I agree, if we knew for certain that he was a good CF. Cubano, can you enlighten us on his strengths/weaknesses in the outfield.

Is he really fast enough to counter the slowness of Q and JD? That would be my main concern.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
I agree, if we knew for certain that he was a good CF. Cubano, can you enlighten us on his strengths/weaknesses in the outfield.

Is he really fast enough to counter the slowness of Q and JD? That would be my main concern.

Stan,

He is a good CF. The question is how can the ChiSox improve the most?

Well we need a leadoff man. Who is available o rather who can we get?

If we can get a SS that can leadoff, Alexei goes to CF or 2B. Team first all the time. Alexei won't make a big deal about it. Cuban players, born and raised in Cuba are humble due to our life there. They are gratefull that they are here. I am not talking about Canseco, etc. If the ChiSox tell him, Alexei we need you in CF, he will go there without hesitation or complaints.

How many right handers are we going to send out there?

Fields/Viciedo

Alexei

2B I think the two guys there are righties

Korneko

Dye

Quentin

Anderson

We need to have balance.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Stan,

He is a good CF. The question is how can the ChiSox improve the most?

Well we need a leadoff man. Who is available o rather who can we get?

If we can get a SS that can leadoff, Alexei goes to CF or 2B. Team first all the time. Alexei won't make a big deal about it. Cuban players, born and raised in Cuba are humble due to our life there. They are gratefull that they are here. I am not talking about Canseco, etc. If the ChiSox tell him, Alexei we need you in CF, he will go there without hesitation or complaints.

How many right handers are we going to send out there?

Fields/Viciedo

Alexei

2B I think the two guys there are righties

Korneko

Dye

Quentin

Anderson

We need to have balance.

I'm with you Cubano. If Getz takes 2B that's one more lefty. But this points out why I want to sign Abreu regrdless of a SS acquisition, and trade Dye or Paulie for a high-upside RHP who's either MLB ready or very close.

Glad to here your opinion on Alexei's willingness to move. He had said that being an MLB shortstop was his ultimate dream, but it sounds like he'd get over it. It will be interesting to see what position Viciedo winds up playing. I'd kind of like to see them play next to one another, be it in the infield or outfield.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
What do you guys think our our potential defense next year?

Defense and pitching win championships allegedly. How does our D look to you?

They may resemble a circus. The ChiSox are going to be called the Chicago Colanders. :pray