Angels May Consider Trading For Dye or Paulie

Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
if we could unload paulie, maybe we could get nomar real cheap to play 1B?

Depends on what the return would be for Paulie. Why trade Paulie, who turns 33 next season, and get Nomar, who turns 36 next season? Just doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me considering KW's youth movement.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
KW said he's filling his holes at P, 3B, 2B and CF from within.

Ah, OK.

I was just thinking... if you get Figgins for PK, you put him in CF, and your outfield is set. You now just need a 1B. Or, you move Dye to 1B, and you need 1 OF, which could be Anderson/Owens (though that's not ideal by any means).

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Depends on what the return would be for Paulie. Why trade Paulie, who turns 33 next season, and get Nomar, who turns 36 next season? Just doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me considering KW's youth movement.

KW won't ever do a real, full-on "youth movement". As has been shown over the years, the Sox under KW don't do full rebuilding. They do it piecemeal.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)

well, if you could get nomar for like 1 year $5 mil that would save quite a bit of dough. I'm assuming dye and konerko are gone, neither of whom have been linked to bringing in a 1B. they'd have to find one off the scrap heap. not much out there.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
well, if you could get nomar for like 1 year $5 mil that would save quite a bit of dough. I'm assuming dye and konerko are gone, neither of whom have been linked to bringing in a 1B. they'd have to find one off the scrap heap. not much out there.

KC has a plethora of 1B's, and I'd love to see the Sox find a way to get the Hawaiian guy whose name I won't even try to spell. Something with a lot of K's and apostrophes in it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
KC has a plethora of 1B's, and I'd love to see the Sox find a way to get the Hawaiian guy whose name I won't even try to spell. Something with a lot of K's and apostrophes in it.

Kila Ka'aihue?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
That one.

Actually, I'll probably get slammed for this, but... I wouldn't be opposed to getting Shealy, who finally started to show some good stuff last year.

It's kinda hard to believe Shealy is already 29.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
PK to the angels for Morales and Mathis.

After this years wbc we will get a glimpse into our future cuban 2B, and by 2011 we will have an all cuban infield.

Morales

??

Ramirez

Viciedo

What happens to Gordon Beckham?

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
shealy is a big oaf. i'm surprised he's even on the KC 40-man.

He'd only be as slow as PK. And I think there is a good hitter underneath there. By no means is he a long term solution probably, but for a year or two, I think he'd do for cheap. The rest of the 1B market is thin.

I'd still rather have Kila.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
He'd only be as slow as PK. And I think there is a good hitter underneath there. By no means is he a long term solution probably, but for a year or two, I think he'd do for cheap. The rest of the 1B market is thin.

If we acquire Ka'aihue, I think we should nickname him "Killa"

With the Blue Jays having money trouble, Overbay and his $7 mill. salary could be available. Esp. if they are shopping Wells.

But I think if the Angels do trade for PK, Morales would probably be part of any deal. With PK signed for 2 more years, Morales would have little value to them sitting on the bench.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Ah, OK.

I was just thinking... if you get Figgins for PK, you put him in CF, and your outfield is set. You now just need a 1B. Or, you move Dye to 1B, and you need 1 OF, which could be Anderson/Owens (though that's not ideal by any means).

Mostly your leadoff position is set....

Somebody buy Fields a 1B mitt...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Playing a full season, I think BA could hit 15-20 HR, but he'd also hit .210 I think with a sub-Uribe OBP. Kotsay if healthy would give you a .330-.340 OBP, though only marginal power (maybe 10 HR). Anderson gives you very good defense, but looking at recent years, I think Kotsay gives you good (but not as good) D as well. Anderson could spell Kotsay defensively like he did Griffey.

I don't understand where you get the .210. Even with sporadic playing time, he's never hit lower than .225 during the season and, given regular playing time, I could easily see him hitting .240-.250. With the defense and power he provides, I would endorse Brian Anderson as the CFer hitting 9th.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)

If KW unloaded Paulie, and I think that it won't happen, Swisher I am sure is available. With the way the market has dropped on players his level, his contract isn't the "bargain" it once was, even if he regains most of his Oakland form. KW probably could get him back for lower rated prospects than he acquired.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
I don't understand where you get the .210. Even with sporadic playing time, he's never hit lower than .225 during the season and, given regular playing time, I could easily see him hitting .240-.250. With the defense and power he provides, I would endorse Brian Anderson as the CFer hitting 9th.

Limited playing time against lefties.

.225 is probably more like it. .240 maybe. I just threw numbers out there to make a point, but yes, .210 is too low.

And again, I am not saying Kotsay would be some giant upgrade. A moderate one, if healthy.