Jason Marquis must have been more important

wilmot825

So from what I have read all over is that all the Cubs needed to do to get Jake "The Snake" Peavy was to deal away Jason Marquis and Mark DeRosa. Instead of letting go of that human-waste-no-talent-ass-clown Marquis and an actually good player in Derosa, they turn away a power arm like Peavy. I laughed when I saw on ESPN today that the deal was dead, they blew a possible steal of a trade.

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
So from what I have read all over is that all the Cubs needed to do to get Jake "The Snake" Peavy was to deal away Jason Marquis and Mark DeRosa. Instead of letting go of that human-waste-no-talent-ass-clown Marquis and an actually good player in Derosa, they turn away a power arm like Peavy. I laughed when I saw on ESPN today that the deal was dead, they blew a possible steal of a trade.

You ever think that "letting go" of Marquis might be hard because he comes with a huge contract? Someone delete this pointless thread.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
If I was the Cubs, I would give the Padres anything they wanted for Peavy. He is arguably one of the top 3 arms in the NL.

Yep, I was thinking today that a rotation with Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Dempster and Lilly, in what is shaping up to be an absolutely terrible NL Central, could likely lead to the Cubs being a 105-110 win team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
Yep, I was thinking today that a rotation with Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Dempster and Lilly, in what is shaping up to be an absolutely terrible NL Central, could likely lead to the Cubs being a 105-110 win team.

They would easily win their division with that rotation even with the injuries to Harden and the regression of Dempster. You could get rid of ANYONE in your lineup for Peavy and still go to the playoffs. I would easily trade every prospect and ANY position player for Peavy. And If I was the Padres, I ask for Soto.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
They would easily win their division with that rotation even with the injuries to Harden and the regression of Dempster. You could get rid of ANYONE in your lineup for Peavy and still go to the playoffs. I would easily trade every prospect and ANY position player for Peavy. And If I was the Padres, I ask for Soto.

I wouldn't. They won't even trade Mark DeRosa for God sakes, so I wouldn't even bother. The Cubs are like the foil of the Orioles: two s***ty organizations full of losers with losing attitudes who make poor baseball decisions on a regular basis, and follow every step forward with two more back. The difference is, the Cubs are the team with the crazy payroll supported by dimwits from Iowa on business trips who still think that Fookie Dome guy is good because word hasn't gotten back to Cowtip yet that he actually sucks, meanwhile the Orioles play in what is typically the toughest division in all of baseball and have payroll concerns because their fanbase cares about winning and does not show up to watch them get beaten up.

Ugh. /rant.

But anyway, it looks like Towers thought the Braves would stick in and bid against themselves in order to beat all those *great* Cub offers. Well, Towers isn't Borass and the Braves aren't the Rangers, so that didn't work. I think what happened is he actually f***ed himself into having to take the Cubs s***ty offer, but the laugher here is that the Cubs own f***ing stupidity is what is saving his ass. I mean, we're talking about Jake the Pussy here, one of the best pitchers in baseball. If Jake the Pussy wants to play for you so bad that he'll sing a song about it, and if you can get him for a bunch of crap, then you f***ing do it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
You ever think that "letting go" of Marquis might be hard because he comes with a huge contract? Someone delete this pointless thread.

Steve you make no sense. The deal included Marquis so they would be getting rid of his huge contract. Trading and letting go are different.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
Steve you make no sense. The deal included Marquis so they would be getting rid of his huge contract. Trading and letting go are different.

I'm not Steve's official spokesman, but I think he knew that. What I believe he meant is no team was willing to take the contract and give the Cubs anything in value. When you have a marginal player with a bad contract you can get something for him if you eat a majority of the contract if you want to dump all or most of his money you get very little back. The Cubs found themselves in a position where they needed to drop a contract and get more prospects, something that Marquis' contract would not help them do

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
I'm not Steve's official spokesman, but I think he knew that. What I believe he meant is no team was willing to take the contract and give the Cubs anything in value. When you have a marginal player with a bad contract you can get something for him if you eat a majority of the contract if you want to dump all or most of his money you get very little back. The Cubs found themselves in a position where they needed to drop a contract and get more prospects, something that Marquis' contract would not help them do

You can be my official spokesman anytime. ;)

The Pads don't want that terrible contract. I LOOOOOOVE that that deal finally came back to bite the Cubs in the ass. I said it was a monstrously bad deal when they signed him, and Hendry's finally feeling the pain for all of his terrible moves.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
You can be my official spokesman anytime. ;)

The Pads don't want that terrible contract. I LOOOOOOVE that that deal finally came back to bite the Cubs in the ass. I said it was a monstrously bad deal when they signed him, and Hendry's finally feeling the pain for all of his terrible moves.

No problem, I am an attorney, so I can do some damage control if you need it!!

Yeah, a few of those deals are coming back to bite them. That Soriano deal is god-awful, that will do some serious ass-biting in its last year or two. Although it would be somewhat better if they get a legit leadoff guy and drop him in the order, still bad, but a little better

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
No problem, I am an attorney, so I can do some damage control if you need it!!

Yeah, a few of those deals are coming back to bite them. That Soriano deal is god-awful, that will do some serious ass-biting in its last year or two. Although it would be somewhat better if they get a legit leadoff guy and drop him in the order, still bad, but a little better

I am an attorney as well! 1 year going strong..Go Sox!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
Apparently it was actually Sean Marshall that killed the deal. Its not often you see a swingman/journeyman stop a deal for one of the best pitchers in the league.

It is when it's the Cubs. They are so used to getting players for peanuts (Ramirez, Lee, Harden) that when someone actually asks for a legitimate price they balk.

101 years and counting... :lolhitting

It was quite funny, a Cub fan called into the radio saying he's glad they didn't trade Marshall, because he's the "next Jamie Moyer".

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
so how many more times throughout the offseason are the Peavy/Cubs talks going to heat up? I'll place the over/under at 2.5

For the entire offseason you're only going with 2.5? I'd put the over-under at like 15.5, so I'll take the over in your bet.