Wise agrees to 1 year $550K deal w/Sox

chisox2334

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Have you guys looked at the Twins roster the last few years? Nick Punto? Anyone? Anyone?

The difference is that Punto just got $8.5 million to be a "supersub" by a team that could/should have spent that money on Casey Blake. They could have moved Casilla over to SS, and played Tolbert at 2B and had a much better team (on paper). It will be interesting to see if they really do "dump" Delmon Young as has been reported.

"Only the Sox can have Minor League journeymen start a playoff game."

Remember Josh Fogg started some playoff and a World Series game for the Rockies not too long ago. Wise was certainly not the reason we lost to TB, he was one of our better offensive players in that series, actually. It's a credit to the scouting department that they found a castoff who could replace Swisher, get some huge hits for us (DET) in the final months and actually be an igniter/difference maker.

Look at all the Twins' scrubs and castoffs who have played important roles, like Tyner, Hocking, LeCroy, Lew Ford, etc. I think it's great to have one player like that on every team who gives hope to all minor leaguers that they can make it to the bigs one day, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
Look at all the Twins' scrubs and castoffs who have played important roles, like Tyner, Hocking, LeCroy, Lew Ford, etc. I think it's great to have one player like that on every team who gives hope to all minor leaguers that they can make it to the bigs one day, too.

These players were all somewhat young and unproven. Wise is what, 32?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
The difference is that Punto just got $8.5 million to be a "supersub" by a team that could/should have spent that money on Casey Blake. They could have moved Casilla over to SS, and played Tolbert at 2B and had a much better team (on paper). It will be interesting to see if they really do "dump" Delmon Young as has been reported.

Punto is actually going to be their starting SS, not a supersub. However, he is indeed terrible offensively and nowhere near the 4 million per they gave him for the next two years.

He's not worth it, but it's not enough money for me to care.

Who in baseball IS worth it? f***ing nobody.

Wise was great last year in his role. By baseball money standards, this is a bargain.

I'd rather have Wise start every game than some Taveras who is not worth s***.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Punto is actually going to be their starting SS, not a supersub. However, he is indeed terrible offensively and nowhere near the 4 million per they gave him for the next two years.

Yes, that's the plan for now, but he is a career .252 hitter, after all.

If he does hit anything like the 2007 version (around .210-.220), then the Twins will have made a very bad deal...however, they'll be over to move Casilla over...just not sure how wise it would be to do this in the middle of the year. I do think that would be a much better move defensively than trying to get away with Brendan Harris at SS, let alone any infield position.

I'm ok with it, if he ends up starting most of the games in Center Field we probably are in trouble, so hopefully we find some CF player. I'm ok with him at bat as long as he doesn't try to hit a homer every time he's up. It seemed like that's all he tried to do after his clutch homers late in the season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Who in baseball IS worth it? f***ing nobody.

Wise was great last year in his role. By baseball money standards, this is a bargain.

I'd rather have Wise start every game than some Taveras who is not worth s***.

What part of Wise's .248/.293/.450 line was 'great' last year? Players that end the year as the starting LF shouldn't have an OBP below .300, especially if they are 'great'.