Yankees Sign Burnett

SOXOBAMA

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Yankees signed A.J. Burnett to a five-year, $82.5MM deal. That's $243.5MM spent on the Yankees on starting pitching, unless C.C. Sabathia opts out. The Braves will have to figure out a Plan B.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

I was watching something yesterday, the Yankees signed those 2 but how much have they improved their staff? Mussina won 20 last year. Maybe CC wins 20, but then its a push. Burnett gets hurt all the time, if Petitte doesn't come back, I don't think they are any better especially with Riviera a year older. Father time has to catch up to him sooner or later.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
I was watching something yesterday, the Yankees signed those 2 but how much have they improved their staff? Mussina won 20 last year. Maybe CC wins 20, but then its a push. Burnett gets hurt all the time, if Petitte doesn't come back, I don't think they are any better especially with Riviera a year older. Father time has to catch up to him sooner or later.

Good point.

I think it's very possible the Yankees could still come 3rd in that division next season.

Don't forget they've lost Giambi and Abreu also, and they've basically replaced those 2 with Swisher and most likely Mike Cameron also. Don't think that's really an upgrade there.

Phillip Hughes is basically the key in determining whether or not the Yankees make the playoffs in 2009 IMHO.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
In other news, the Chicago White Stockings will have CR/AP battling it out for the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation. Yippee

Here are the gems of the Starting Staffs of the Al East: HALLADAY, Joba, Burnett, Sabathia, Wong, Dick K, Beckett, Lester, Mcgowan, Marcum, Kazmir, Shields, Price, Garza

Here are the gems of the Central: Lee, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Liriano, Baker, Meche, Greinke, Verlander, Carmona,

See the Difference? We're fighting for the playoffs not five shares of the Cy Young Award.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I agree....the Yankees moves would put them on paper a little ahead of TB and Boston, pending any Lowe move back to the Red Sox. The Red Sox still look shaky at the back of the rotation with the likes of Wakefield and Buchholz.

CC, Burnett, Joba/Wang, Kennedy/Hughes, Pettitte...that's a monster rotation.

In TB, Shields is essentially their co #1 starter with Kazmir. Let's say Kazmir and CC are "equal," and Garza is maybe equal to Joba...you'll have a hard time convincing me that Price is already better than CM Wang (let alone Hughes/Kennedy), and signing Pettitte, obviously he's still a bit better than Sonnanstine (aka Kevin Slowey), even at his age.

This does put the pressure on BOS to respond with either Lowe, TEX or bringing back Manny (VERY unlikely to happen, .001%)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Here are the gems of the Starting Staffs of the Al East: Joba, Burnett, Sabathia, Wong, Dick K, Beckett, Lester, Mcgowan, Marcum, Kazmir, Shields, Price, Garza

Here are the gems of the Central: Lee, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Liriano, Baker, Meche, Greinke, Verlander, Carmona,

See the Difference? We're fighting for the playoffs not five shares of the Cy Young Award.

You left out arguably the best pitcher in the entire AL East, Roy Halladay.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
Good point.

I think it's very possible the Yankees could still come 3rd in that division next season.

Don't forget they've lost Giambi and Abreu also, and they've basically replaced those 2 with Swisher and most likely Mike Cameron also. Don't think that's really an upgrade there.

Phillip Hughes is basically the key in determining whether or not the Yankees make the playoffs in 2009 IMHO.

Didn't we see this hapen before with the Yankmees? They throw all kinds of money on pitchers and then they colapse (injuries) and the Yanks get stuck paying inflated salaries and getting nothing back but medical bills. For sure they are the best team money can buy! But, I guess you can't fault them a least they have a committment to winning.