Non-Tenders the Sox should pick up...

bigred3535

I know we have Nix/Lillibridge/Getz to battle for 2B...but I might take a flyer on Chris Burke. He can play the outfield as well as 2B and if you like grindy, this is the dude. I saw him play many games at AA and AAA Round Rock and the boy has baseball smarts. He's not fast, but he is a smart baserunner. He's not the best fielder, but he puts himself in good positions. He's not the best hitter, but he seems to be clutch at times. This team likes players that can play multiple positions, and Chris Burke can.

Chris Burke was once a top prospect, being groomed for the end of the Biggio era, but when the end of the Biggio era failed to come as soon as projected,the Astros had no idea of what to do with Burke and put him in the lineup anyway they could. He never really recovered, i wouldn't mind putting him next to the loser

of the Lillibridge, Getz, Nix battle in AAA.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Mike Powers, the agent for right-hander Daniel Cabrera, said he received calls from five clubs on the pitcher between midnight and 12:30 Saturday. Cabrera, 27, became a free agent at midnight after the Orioles declined to offer him a contract.

Powers said he has heard from more than 10 clubs on Cabrera and received two offers. Numerous major-league scouts are expected to be in attendance Tuesday night when Cabrera pitches in the Dominican winter league.

Cabrera's velocity dropped from 96 to 99 mph to 88 to 91 in September, one scout says, raising concerns that he might be injured. Powers, however, said that his client is fine. from foxsports.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Mike Powers, the agent for right-hander Daniel Cabrera, said he received calls from five clubs on the pitcher between midnight and 12:30 Saturday. Cabrera, 27, became a free agent at midnight after the Orioles declined to offer him a contract.

Powers said he has heard from more than 10 clubs on Cabrera and received two offers. Numerous major-league scouts are expected to be in attendance Tuesday night when Cabrera pitches in the Dominican winter league.

Cabrera's velocity dropped from 96 to 99 mph to 88 to 91 in September, one scout says, raising concerns that he might be injured. Powers, however, said that his client is fine. from foxsports.com

Not sure the Sox are up for a bidding war. Could put Cabrera off the table. Which is probably a good thing.