Ballpark adjusted performance for pitchers...see our

caulfield12

old friend Jon Garland much higher on the list than I expected...as well as Buehrle (#11), Contreras and Javy Vazquez. If nothing else, this is just one of many stats that really validate Mark Buehrle as an even better pitcher than many Sox fans give him credit for being.

This is for pitchers with at least 700 IP over the last four seasons.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/cjez

Some pitchers from the list we could target...

Oswalt, Pettitte, Doug Davis (obviously after a health check) and Jamie Moyer

Pretty surprised to see E. Santana so low on the list. Bottom 4 of Robertson, Marquis, Livan Hernandez and Carlos Silva.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
If nothing else, this is just one of many stats that really validate Mark Buehrle as an even better pitcher than many Sox fans give him credit for being.

Big cosign. He'll be forever under-appreciated until he wins #250 or so. 300 isn't even out of the question. Decent chance he winds up in Cooperstown.

I recently did a stats search of all the top pitchers in baseball. Only CC and Carlos Zambrano are projected to have more career W's than Buehrle, and they're both power pitchers who likely won't have as long a career. I didn't count pitchers who haven't had a significant body of work (i.e.

Buehrle has said he doesn't see himself pitching long enough to win 300 games. He said even if he sustained success he might not make it to 200. I think that was when we re-signed him. Of course that could change seeing how much fun he has he might not want to give it up so easily like he said.

Either way he's still underrated in the baseball world. You don't hear many baseball experts talking about him because he doesn't blow people away.