Iraqi "journalist" throws shoes at Bush

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Someone should have beat the s*** out of him. Regardless of your level of derangement, he is still our president, and those bastard-ass jackholes should show him some respect.

Beat the s*** out of someone who stages a pretty nonviolent, mostly symbolic protest of throwing shoes? Right, that sounds appropriate.

GWB is as unfit for command now as he was when he stole the election in 2000. He is lucky this is the worst attack he has seen in his 8 years in office. I seriously hope this reporter is released soon with little to no retribution.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
GWB is as unfit for command now as he was when he stole the election in 2000.

Wow, it’s good to see liberals in this post-Obama world are still as bitter and politically uniformed as they were prior. It’s going to suck in 9 months when you can’t blame a thing on GW, isn’t it?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
Wow, it’s good to see liberals in this post-Obama world are still as bitter and politically uniformed as they were prior. It’s going to suck in 9 months when you can’t blame a thing on GW, isn’t it?

They'll still blame him for everything bad that has ever happened. I'm looking forward to additional 9-11 conspiracy theories as well.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Beat the s*** out of someone who stages a pretty nonviolent, mostly symbolic protest of throwing shoes? Right, that sounds appropriate.

GWB is as unfit for command now as he was when he stole the election in 2000. He is lucky this is the worst attack he has seen in his 8 years in office. I seriously hope this reporter is released soon with little to no retribution.

I wouldn't call that nonviolent. I realize it's unlikely, but throwing what looked to be a dress shoe (which aren't soft - hard sole) could do some damage if it hit just the right way. I mean, it's not like he threw a baseball cap at him or something. A shoe is a little more severe.

Oh, and if you throw something in anger at the President of the United States, you should absolutely expect to get your ass beat. I'm disappointed he didn't. Though, I heard Bush waved off the secret service, which is why nothing happened. Definitely shows Bush being the bigger man there.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)

It's just as bewildering that after 8 years of quite possibly the worst administration in our history there are people out there that stick up for it. What exactly has Bush and his cronies done that make you proud? What will his legacy leave other than utter failure? For crying out loud his approval ratings are not far from Blagojevich's.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
Someone finally did what 70% of Americans have wanted t do for a long tine now.

Sounds like you approve of what this guy did, or at least think its funny... That's pretty f***ed up.

I sure as hell didn't want Obama being my next President, but I would never think this was funny or deserving if it happened to him. Oh, and can you imagine the outrage if this did happen while Obama is President? The dems still would have blamed the attack on Bush, saying the Iraqis wouldn't hate us (and therefore attacked Obama) if it weren't for Bush attacking Iraq. Democrats will never be happy, will they? They always need someone to blame.

Edited by dasox24

This guy was either from the Saddam Hussein Sunnis or he is using his new given freedom to express himself. If he is not from the Sunnis tribe, then he would not had done this when Saddam was in power. He would have been hang short after. He will be free soon.

Bring Saddam back! Let the s*** float on the street of Iraq. Let the radical take over and make everybody go to religious school.

Let the whole world kill each other. Put the army on the borders. Put the airforce in the sky just in case the aliens want to come to the USA too. Put the navy on the beaches. Screen those who you want to accept. Send back the rest. Have strong military just ready. There will be another idiot in Europe or Asia that will want to start WWIII.

Steal their oil!

I am out!

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
It's just as bewildering that after 8 years of quite possibly the worst administration in our history there are people out there that stick up for it. What exactly has Bush and his cronies done that make you proud? What will his legacy leave other than utter failure? For crying out loud his approval ratings are not far from Blagojevich's.

I can't stand the thought of Obama as president and the policies he's getting ready to put in place, but you know what? I still respect the office of president and still respect that the man got elected even though I disagree with him politically, unlike most of you people as evidenced by this post right here.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
I can't stand the thought of Obama as president and the policies he's getting ready to put in place, but you know what? I still respect the office of president and still respect that the man got elected even though I disagree with him politically, unlike most of you people as evidenced by this post right here.

Well, I think Bush was pretty much a failure all around, and I agree that I see no reason to defend him on that front, as a president. I never rooted for him to fail, not once. I just got pissed off during the times that he did, which was a lot, and it'd be different if he had done more things right, but I think I can count them on one hand. As far as the people in various places I go to that have comments enabled that are giddy at the prospect of Obama going down in flames over this (which I doubt if he does, and this would be the equivalent of rooting for Bush to fail), I can't understand that, and that attitude says a lot about their priorities as an American. When the president fails it means America fails.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Cubano, I like your fire and opinions, but you must post here first in order to post in the Filibuster.

I usually post only in PH. I saw this topic here and voiced my opinion. I prefer to post only here. By the way, this iraqui reporter is a big fan of argentinian communist Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Isn't this type of behaviour idiotic?

I am done with politics now.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
I seriously hope you are kidding. The guy threw a pair of shoes at GWB in a symbolic protest of his aggression, indifference and arrogance toward the people and culture of Iraq. I do not care what country he supposedly leads, he is an unremarkable human being. Throwing shoes at him does not merit any more than 24 hours in the cooler. To suggest this reporter deserves to be tortured at Gitmo clearly illustrates why this nation (ours, not Iraq) is in such terrible shape morally. The entire world is celebrating the end of the Bush regime and whether you are conservative or liberal, it is difficult to defend this president in any way, shape or form.

I was exaggerating. In fact, I think detaining anyone (citizen or terrorist) on US controlled soil without the ability to hear the evidence against them is against American Principles and Gitmo detainees should stand a fair tribunal and be cut loose if there is no proof against them.

I never voted for Bush, but he's my president. I will be the first to say the War in Iraq was a TRAGIC mistake, and he should be judged accordingly based on that mistake. That being said, there is no situation where I approve of someone throwing a blunt object at him. This reporter may have been making a "statement" but I just don't care. Maybe its nationalistic, but I don't want anyone to try to harm, or embarrass my president -- no matter who it is -- for any reason. I will feel this exact same way on January 20th when President Obama takes office.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
I usually post only in PH. I saw this topic here and voiced my opinion. I prefer to post only here. By the way, this iraqui reporter is a big fan of argentinian communist Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Isn't this type of behaviour idiotic?

I am done with politics now.

Actually, the link in PHT moves you to the Filibuster.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
I was exaggerating. In fact, I think detaining anyone (citizen or terrorist) on US controlled soil without the ability to hear the evidence against them is against American Principles and Gitmo detainees should stand a fair tribunal and be cut loose if there is no proof against them.

I never voted for Bush, but he's my president. I will be the first to say the War in Iraq was a TRAGIC mistake, and he should be judged accordingly based on that mistake. That being said, there is no situation where I approve of someone throwing a blunt object at him. This reporter may have been making a "statement" but I just don't care. Maybe its nationalistic, but I don't want anyone to try to harm, or embarrass my president -- no matter who it is -- for any reason. I will feel this exact same way on January 20th when President Obama takes office.

Well said.

I agree here, though I may judge Bush a little more harshly on Iraq than it simply being a "mistake". But this was in fact an assault on the leader of our country, not to mention of the free world - and that is not acceptable at any time, no matter how lousy a President he has been. The perpetrator should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

One thing that was odd, to me, about the incident... after the first shoe, where the hell was the USSS? Why wasn't there an agent there pulling Bush offstage instantly? Seems to me like a failing in security response there to me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
I agree here, though I may judge Bush a little more harshly on Iraq than it simply being a "mistake". But this was in fact an assault on the leader of our country, not to mention of the free world - and that is not acceptable at any time, no matter how lousy a President he has been. The perpetrator should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

One thing that was odd, to me, about the incident... after the first shoe, where the hell was the USSS? Why wasn't there an agent there pulling Bush offstage instantly? Seems to me like a failing in security response there to me.

They have to operate under different rules on foreign soil, and they're not happy about it usually. I'm sure they felt that room was 100% secure from actual threats, however.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just don't get too excited over American symbols anymore. If you look at the way many presidents in this country's history have handled the office, I question whether the U.S. presidency really can be considered so sacred an office. Further, we have done far worse to leaders of sovereign nations (not to mention sovereign nations overall) in the past and gotten away with it.

If you read about this reporter's background, you will see that he has suffered directly by the U.S. occupation, including a period of detention by U.S. forces that was followed by release and an empty apology with no restitution. George Bush's foreign policy was instrumental in the disruption of this man's life, no matter how we Americans see the overall intentions of the war. I think the reporter was justified in his frustration at the American policy toward his nation. While I agree he should not be allowed to throw shoes at another human being without some punishment, I really do not think George Bush's status as sitting president of the US merits any greater punishment than if he threw his shoe at a beggar in the street. Either way, the target of the attack is a human being no better than the other. Both should be afforded a basic level of respect. To me a minor fine is a pretty fair punishment.

With all this said, I think Bush handled the incident well and was pretty quick in his dodging of the flying loafers. So, his presidency is not a complete failure.