When will the Tigers ask for a bailout

chiguy79

I just saw this article from August about the Tigers payroll and the downturn in the economy, considering the picture in August vs. Today makes August look prosperous, I would guess the Tigers $120mm payroll is going to cause big problems as if the bailout is going to go down the big three and their supplies won't be able to expense luxury boxes or advertising at the stadium, not to mention that all the employees that are going to get their salaries cut in half probably will be canceling season tickets a year after their team really sucked.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...396/1004/SPORTS

I would have to think MLB is very worried that the team as a whole is in serious financial troubles, I wonder how their stadium was financed as well, wouldn't want to be holdling the debt on that!

That all being said I would think the Tigers would be looking to move every large contract they have and getting their payroll down into the $80-$90mm range (if that is even a possibility).

Perhaps their owner will go to congress and ask for a bailout also?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-1...0,2965427.story

BOSTON (AP)—As the Boston Red Sox pursue Mark Teixeira, their owner said Wednesday the amount they’re willing to spend on free agents depends on the nation’s economic problems and the player involved.

With as many as five teams showing interest in the first baseman, there is serious doubt the Red Sox would go longer than the eight-year contract the Los Angeles Angels, Teixeira’s former team, have offered.

“We all have limits,” Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. “Eight years is a very long time in baseball and everywhere else.”

He also said the amount the team is willing to spend on a free agent “depends on both” the economy and the player being sought.

“Baseball as a whole has not yet been hit by the financial crisis, but it will,” Henry said. “The degree is in question and won’t be answered for a while.”

www.yahoosports.com

Edited by caulfield12