With the #4/#5 Starter Up in the Air

jasonxctf

i think you make a great point.....over the past few years our pen has been helped extraordinarily by the starters ability to pitch 180+ innings a year....i think a solid long man would be a very important part of our team with 2 rookies in the rotation...that said, do solid long men really exist? typically its the last role you fill on your pitching staff, and better pitchers tend to pitch either as starters or late inning relievers....if we don't add another starter, id be totally in favor of adding another late innning guy just for depth in the pen, juan cruz would be nice at a decent price...long men, "garbage" men, innings eaters out of the pen or whatever you wanna call em unfortunatley are usually young guys just making the big league team (guys like masset, or potentially broadway going forward) or old starters (loaiza)....

I personally like the idea of bringing haeger back on a minor league deal as i think he still has long term value

I think another problem with Haeger is holding runners, fwiw.

He would be "okay" as a garbage innings pitcher, but we already have Carrasco for that role. Not to mention that whoever loses out for the fifth starter (Poreda/Richard/Marquez) would also seem to be capable of pitching in those situations, like Buehrle in 2000, as a way to get their feet wet and gain confidence. I don't see Haeger as part of any long-term plan, and his upside is pretty limited, so I think you won't see him brought back to the Sox.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I like the idea of bringing Garland back. He's only 29, and has consistently been a solid big league pitcher and innings eater his whole career, and has shown the ability to step up in the big game. His value is relatively low right now, and I think it'd be reasonable to say we could get him on a deal of something like 3 years, 27-30 million. Also, a thing that might help is him possibly getting more work with the 5th starter job likely filled by a rookie, and Danks and/or Floyd possibly do for a down year. Garland getting less rest would help his sinker a lot, IMO, and make him more effective. I would not mind a rotation of:

1. Buehrle

2. Floyd

3. Danks

4. Garland

5. Poreda (I hope he wins the job as I think CR would have a lot more success in a long relief type of role)

FWIW, Garland made $12 million last year and expects to make equal or more money.

Remember, he turned down the Angels' arbitration offer, which means he expected he could make a MINIMUM of $9.6 million for one season...I think there will be AT LEAST 2-3 teams out there (like the Mets) willing to outbid us for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
FWIW, Garland made $12 million last year and expects to make equal or more money.

Remember, he turned down the Angels' arbitration offer, which means he expected he could make a MINIMUM of $9.6 million for one season...I think there will be AT LEAST 2-3 teams out there (like the Mets) willing to outbid us for him.

do you really expect Orlando Cabrera is going to make $9 mill next year? I don't. I also think there's less risk going forward with Cabrera than there is with Garland.

Garland's coming off a season where he had an ERA near 5; I very strongly doubt he thinks he can get $12 mill in free agency, and more likely went into free agency hoping for a multi-year guarantee in case he either gets hurt or doesn't improve upon his 4.90 ERA this season.

That said, I think there are better ways to spend the money than by bringing in Garland. I'd go for a veteran pitcher who can be a damn good starter next season with no long term guarantee along the lines of Colon, Garcia, or Martinez.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Garland burned some bridges leaving the first time. I doubt he'd be on the top of KW's list of people to bring back.

I trying to figure out what bridges he burned? He signed the KW/JR 3 yr/$28-32 million discount deal offered to all pitchers to stay with the Sox. He heard his name bantered about in a Tavares, Hirsch, Bucholz deal with Houston but didn't make waves. He was traded for Cabrera when KW felt Floyd/Danks were ready to step up their games...so what exactly did he do to burn a bridge?

I think we're gonna sign Brad Penny...live arm, coming off a bad season while dealing with an injury. Fits Kenny's MO of a bargain signing for a guy who used to have great stuff but can now be penciled in as the 4th/5th starter. Based off Kenny's history, he could end up winning 20 games and being our go-to pitcher down the stretch.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
The more I've been thinking about it, the more I like the idea of bringing Garland back. He's only 29, and has consistently been a solid big league pitcher and innings eater his whole career, and has shown the ability to step up in the big game. His value is relatively low right now, and I think it'd be reasonable to say we could get him on a deal of something like 3 years, 27-30 million. Also, a thing that might help is him possibly getting more work with the 5th starter job likely filled by a rookie, and Danks and/or Floyd possibly do for a down year. Garland getting less rest would help his sinker a lot, IMO, and make him more effective. I would not mind a rotation of:

1. Buehrle

2. Floyd

3. Danks

4. Garland

5. Poreda (I hope he wins the job as I think CR would have a lot more success in a long relief type of role)

Garland still equates to a good winning pitcher and might benefit with being back with his buddies exp. Buerhle. I wouldn't mind the Sox giving him a shot again.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)

1. Buehrle

2. Floyd

3. Danks

4. Garland

I like it too because he helps save the bullpen, but it just wont happen. I dont see KW bringing him back whatsoever although I hope Buehrle is in his ear about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I like it too because he helps save the bullpen, but it just wont happen. I dont see KW bringing him back whatsoever although I hope Buehrle is in his ear about it.

Ozzie said 2 weeks ago on white sox weekly: "I would love to have Garland back on my team". The only way i see KW bringing Garland back is if one of Dye or Konerko is dealt to free up some cap space to aqcuire him. Buerhle and Garland are best buds so i wouldn't doubt he is bugging KW to get him. Since right now we are at the 'break even' point- the signing of Garland would just pretty much replace Dye's salary. Im not so sure KW really wants to do that? As he would like to disperse that Dye money for 2 or 3 pieces.