Cabrera probably WON'T go to the Dodgers

bighurt4life

A source in Los Angeles last night confirmed that the Dodgers' Plan B is not Wilson but free-agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera, with contact already having been made with Cabrera's agent, Danny Lozano. Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told reporters that a trade still was a possibility but stressed that his team could use prospect Chin-lung Hu at the position.

This would be a best case scenario for us, I think that they have the 17th pick in the 1st round this year which is about as good as we could hope for in return for OCab. I am really hoping that we don't end up with just a second rounder for him.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodgers signing Orlando Cabrera would be absolutely amazing, assuming they sign no other type A's that rank higher than Cabrera. It would pretty much be best case scenario considering the DBacks, who I believe are #16, have no need for a shortstop and anybody above them gives up only their 2nd rounder. One can only hope and pray for Colletti to bring in another overrated, overpriced veteran.

O-Cab to the Dodgers would be ideal. For those who might think that talent is scarce at 17 here are some notable #17 picks. Roy Halladay, Brad Lidge, Cole Hamels, David Murphy, Matt Antonelli, Blake Bevean (one of the top pitching prospect for Rangers). After, AP and Beckham i like our chances of getting something good.

Assuming Rafael Furcal’s back is sound and he passes the Atlanta Braves’ physical, the next free agent shortstop to go should be Orlando Cabrera, who is sturdier and plays more often than Furcal, but is three years older and isn’t the same caliber of leadoff hitter Furcal.

Nevertheless, the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland Athletics, losers on Furcal, are likely to shift their attention to Cabrera, an edgy player who quickly wore out his welcome with the Chicago White Sox.

The Toronto Blue Jays, who withdrew their interest in Furcal before he agreed to terms with the Braves on Tuesday, probably will be peripheral players on Cabrera. They liked Furcal in large part because of his leadoff skills.

The Kansas City Royals also are looking for a shortstop and could make a play for Cabrera, although he might be out of their price range. The Dodgers, however, are most in need of a shortstop, and of Cabrera.

Omar Vizquel, still a marvel of conditioning and flexibility at age 41, can field but not hit, making him a one-year stopgap for a team that can’t land – or doesn’t want to land – Cabrera. The only other free-agent shortstop with a decent resume available is David Eckstein, who is more apt to find a job as a second baseman.

yahoosports.com

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Doesn't Kemp lead off?

I want this to happen right now. That 17th pick would be so, so nice.

Cabrera doesnt like leading off anyways, he likes being the 2 hitter, so that would work out nicely for the dodgers

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Sounds like Furcal to the Dodgers for 3yrs 30M.

That's what I was just reading, though the only thing that happened was the Dodgers upped their offer to match the Braves offer. Also, Furcal didn't want to play 2B which he might have to do to play for the Braves. It's anyone's guess now where he'll end up.

QUOTE (Socal Cid @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Rafael Furcal is staying with the Los Angeles Dodgers, reaching a preliminary agreement Wednesday on a $33 million, three-year contract.

Now Kenny can draft his third cousin, or Ozzie's nephew, with the 17th pick we get from the Dodgers.

Ummm, I think you are confusing Furcal with Cabrera. We dont get the Dodger's pick for no reason.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Man, some of you guys are just ridiculous about your hatred for OC.

Why? We had high expectations for the guy, and he came here, didn't fit in, was overrated defensively, was as bad as ROYCE CLAYTON at the plate for the majority of the year, that to me gives plenty of reasons to hate the guy.