Cabrera probably WON'T go to the Dodgers

bighurt4life

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
Why? We had high expectations for the guy, and he came here, didn't fit in, was overrated defensively, was as bad as ROYCE CLAYTON at the plate for the majority of the year, that to me gives plenty of reasons to hate the guy.

You obviously didnt watch many sox games this year. Offensively he stepped into a role he doesnt really fit in and had a pretty good season. Royce Clayton's career numbers are .258 .312 and OC put up a .281 .334 for us. After a slow start he put up a pretty good second half .298 .343 and as our leadoff hitter he put up .293 .341. I would say he was one of our better players this season. There is pretty much no reason to hate the guy, he did what he could for this team and now he's gone with compensation for us.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now it's back down to:

A's

Royals

Braves

Blue Jays

Indians

Twins

Orioles (cross off list, just signed Cesar I.)

You also have Uribe, Eckstein, Jack Wilson trade possibility...I can't imagine BB would want to give up the draft picks. That was the whole beauty of Furcal for him, Type B compensation. Royals don't appear to have the money unless they move DeJesus or Guillen. Braves could use Escobar there. Blue Jays are in budget-consious mode. Both the Indians (A. Cabrera) and Twins (Punto/Casilla) have much cheaper options available for that position. I'm really intrigued where he will end up going, finally...as dick allen said over and over again, we got pretty lucky.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Why? We had high expectations for the guy, and he came here, didn't fit in, was overrated defensively, was as bad as ROYCE CLAYTON at the plate for the majority of the year, that to me gives plenty of reasons to hate the guy.

don't forget he was a jerk...

that said, i don't really hate him that much, i just don't mind him going elsewhere

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
don't forget he was a jerk...

that said, i don't really hate him that much, i just don't mind him going elsewhere

Dont forget alot of the reports of him being a jerk was from a pretty awful sports writer who carries grudges with several players and has fallen far out of favor of the White Sox organization......

And O-cab isnt going to the Dodgers because they signed Furcal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
You obviously didnt watch many sox games this year. Offensively he stepped into a role he doesnt really fit in and had a pretty good season. Royce Clayton's career numbers are .258 .312 and OC put up a .281 .334 for us. After a slow start he put up a pretty good second half .298 .343 and as our leadoff hitter he put up .293 .341. I would say he was one of our better players this season. There is pretty much no reason to hate the guy, he did what he could for this team and now he's gone with compensation for us.

Clayton's OPS in his first year with us, .708

Cabrera with us, .705

I admit, Cabrera is a different batter, more contact and higher average but less power than Clayton, but they still are very similar in OPS, which to me tells alot. My personal opinion is that he couldve done much better with the Sox, and his attitude from the start never impressed me so I will hold a bias against him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
By not signing with the Dodgers...we're likely to get a second round or sandwich pick, because all the teams interested are between 1-15 in first round, and they can't give up such high draft picks for signing Type A's.

and

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
By not signing with the Dodgers...we're likely to get a second round or sandwich pick, because all the teams interested are between 1-15 in first round, and they can't give up such high draft picks for signing Type A's.

Exactly what i had in mind my friend! I don't dislike Cabrera but I had Furcal penciled in for Braves and OCAB with Dodgers so we can get their picks.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Clayton's OPS in his first year with us, .708

Cabrera with us, .705

I admit, Cabrera is a different batter, more contact and higher average but less power than Clayton, but they still are very similar in OPS, which to me tells alot. My personal opinion is that he couldve done much better with the Sox, and his attitude from the start never impressed me so I will hold a bias against him.

So you had to dig deep to find a number that would support your Clayton claim. Im not sure if you met him somewhere and didnt like his attitude or something, but the guy played hard and well for this team IMO. I was much more frustrated with the actions and attitude on the field of Konerko, Swish, Crede, Boone, Dotel, Javy than OC.

If I had a pulled rib cage muscle/oblique, nagging hand injury as well as a knee sprain/strain in one year, I'm sure my body language wouldn't be the best either.

Konerko fought through all those things and really came through in the second half when he was close to 100%, after many Sox fans had written him off (there were many "warning track" power posts) as they have 2-3 times in the past.

He's basically our captain, the most popular player on our team (to many Sox fans, along with Mark) and he's always been a steadying influence, great with the media and fans, etc. I've never considered him to be one of our biggest problems or issues.

Logan, Swisher and Cabrera were definitely on their way out at season's end, and Crede wore out his welcome by taking his orders from Boras and refusing to try to play through pain when the team really needed him in August and September. I know he had an epidural or two...and that back injuries are impossible to totally recover 100% from, but just some of Ozzie's barbs/comments about the Crede situation, both during the season and also after it, led me to believe that they were tired of the drama/uncertainty with him and ready to move on. Joe was always a clutch hitter (before the last 2-3 seasons) and a superb defender. Not quite Ventura's equal, but not far behind him either.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Man, some of you guys are just ridiculous about your hatred for OC.

Ridiculous doesn't even BEGIN to describe it! So Joe Cowley and Ozzie Guillen don't like a guy. For me, thats not saying much. People keep saying he screwed us again, that is so dumb it hurts. He played hard and he played solid. Who cares about the rest? Just worry about the draft picks.

Hmmm;

An A's source said that Oakland does not have interest in free agent Orlando Cabrera unless Cabrera can be had for a bargain late in the process. The A's might consider dealing for a shortstop, but they won't easily part with top pitching prospects Brett Anderson and Trevor Cahill, so there's a very real possibility the team will elect to stand pat with Bobby Crosby.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
Its weird in a market where Kyle Farnsworth can get get $4.6 million a year for 2 years, Cabrera may wind up with far less of a guarantee. For all his faults, the guy still is a pretty good player.

Still that team that gave Farnsworth that 2 year deal, could end up with OC when it's all said and done possibly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
So now it's back down to:

A's

Royals

Braves

Blue Jays

Indians

Twins

Orioles (cross off list, just signed Cesar I.)

You also have Uribe, Eckstein, Jack Wilson trade possibility...I can't imagine BB would want to give up the draft picks. That was the whole beauty of Furcal for him, Type B compensation. Royals don't appear to have the money unless they move DeJesus or Guillen. Braves could use Escobar there. Blue Jays are in budget-consious mode. Both the Indians (A. Cabrera) and Twins (Punto/Casilla) have much cheaper options available for that position. I'm really intrigued where he will end up going, finally...as dick allen said over and over again, we got pretty lucky.

So is Kansas City the only real remaining possibility? Toronto only wanted Furcal for his lead off ability, the Twins re-signed Punto, the Indians traded for Valbuena to shift Asdrubal Cabrera to SS and Peralta to 3B. The A's arent interested. The Braves were signing Furcal with the understanding he would play 2B, I dont think Cabrera would go for that. The Marlins could be a possibility as they are talking about moving Hanley to the OF other than that the market seems pretty dry unless SD starts spending money.

All but two of the free agents who were offered arbitration turned it down in the hopes of landing multiyear deals elsewhere. But increasingly, it appears that the Jason Variteks and Orlando Cabreras are going to have a difficult time landing deals that match what they might have made in arbitration. "With everything that's going on, and the way the prices are dropping, there's no way I'd give Orlando Cabrera a two-year deal for big money -- not when I have to give up a draft pick," a club official said. "Not a chance."

Link