Thesis / No Thesis

Texsox

For those of you that had a choice in Grad School, did you go the Thesis or No Thesis route and why? How did it work out? My undergrad profs are all encouraging me to go thesis route because they believe I am a good, efficient, writer. Also the oral defense should not be a problem after 30 years of public speaking and sales experience. Still a major independent project like that, along with being a dad and working a "real job" seems daunting.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
What is your option if you go NO THESIS?

More hours of classes. The thesis route is 30 hours with 6 being the thesis itself. So 24 class hours versus 36 class hours. I would still be looking at 2-3 years. Just a lot more time on research and writing.

Where I am at for my undergrad, in the M.A. program, only 1 of 25 who graduated took the thesis route. His was about the language that Bush's press secretaries used. The title hinted at the propaganda or b.s. slung by the Press Secretary. LOL sounded interesting to work on.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
More hours of classes. The thesis route is 30 hours with 6 being the thesis itself. So 24 class hours versus 36 class hours. I would still be looking at 2-3 years. Just a lot more time on research and writing.

Where I am at for my undergrad, in the M.A. program, only 1 of 25 who graduated took the thesis route. His was about the language that Bush's press secretaries used. The title hinted at the propaganda or b.s. slung by the Press Secretary. LOL sounded interesting to work on.

I never went to graduate school but my senior year at SIU, I had the choice of thesis or a big project. I loved doing projects so I went that route. Totally different than your situation.

I was awful at writing big papers so I would go the class route, but that is just me.

I know you had another thread on this topic, but what is your ultimate goal after the program? Will it be something that will look favorably upon the thesis?

I've always been a very good writer, but academic research writing is a real pain in the butt (working on my dissertation currently). You mentioned that very few people took the thesis route. Why is that? Maybe the "class" route is easier or better suited to non-traditional students like yourself.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
I know you had another thread on this topic, but what is your ultimate goal after the program? Will it be something that will look favorably upon the thesis?

I've always been a very good writer, but academic research writing is a real pain in the butt (working on my dissertation currently). You mentioned that very few people took the thesis route. Why is that? Maybe the "class" route is easier or better suited to non-traditional students like yourself.

That was Psy or English, I decided English.

From what I can tell, at least here (UG not Grad for me) there are no TA or RA positions until you have 18 hours. So the classroom route gets you paid quicker than the thesis route. It also seems our library is not well known for resources, like at a major University, so that may, or may not, be an additional hurdle. So most of the research would be internet based or inter library. Plus the no thesis route does seem easier. Just show up and do what you are told.

As far as what PhD programs are looking for, I've received mixed advice. Some believe it is good experience prior to their dissertation, others believe it doesn't make a difference. I'm guessing they probably preferred the route they took.

I also receive mixed advice on going directly to a PhD program or doing it in two steps. Looking at the credentials of many of the professors here, and at the colleges I've narrowed my search too, it seems most stayed at one University for two degrees. Either B.A. and M.A. the PhD somewhere else. Or B.A. and then M.A. and PhD somewhere else. Only a few have three different listed.

Until I select one, and see the library, the decision is tough. The research is the key and if they happened to have 100 feet of letters and journals from an author I'd want to research, that would be one thing, if I was stuck with someone or some genre I'm not passionate about, that would be a long and sucky project.

Afterwards? Teaching probably. Hence the eventual need for a PhD.

What are you studying?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
What are you studying?

Strategic Management is the official name of the program, but my dissertation is on entrepreneurship and internationalization. I'll eventually be a college professor in a Management department teaching strategy, entrepreneurship, and/or international business classes.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
That was Psy or English, I decided English.

From what I can tell, at least here (UG not Grad for me) there are no TA or RA positions until you have 18 hours. So the classroom route gets you paid quicker than the thesis route. It also seems our library is not well known for resources, like at a major University, so that may, or may not, be an additional hurdle. So most of the research would be internet based or inter library. Plus the no thesis route does seem easier. Just show up and do what you are told.

As far as what PhD programs are looking for, I've received mixed advice. Some believe it is good experience prior to their dissertation, others believe it doesn't make a difference. I'm guessing they probably preferred the route they took.

I also receive mixed advice on going directly to a PhD program or doing it in two steps. Looking at the credentials of many of the professors here, and at the colleges I've narrowed my search too, it seems most stayed at one University for two degrees. Either B.A. and M.A. the PhD somewhere else. Or B.A. and then M.A. and PhD somewhere else. Only a few have three different listed.

Until I select one, and see the library, the decision is tough. The research is the key and if they happened to have 100 feet of letters and journals from an author I'd want to research, that would be one thing, if I was stuck with someone or some genre I'm not passionate about, that would be a long and sucky project.

Afterwards? Teaching probably. Hence the eventual need for a PhD.

What are you studying?

I would go the thesis route, just because I would find it satisfying to be published and have a tangible item to look back upon my education.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
I am doing the thesis route, but I love researching and writing.

What are you researching?

I just noticed that Texas State has the official King of the Hill archives. How sweet would that Alamo Beer induced research be :lolhitting