No long-term extension talks for Bobby Jenks

caulfield12

Mlb.com's Scott Merkin talked to White Sox closer Bobby Jenks, who is arbitration-eligible for the first time. Jenks told Merkin there's been no talk of an extension to date. He sounds willing though:

"For me, if the White Sox offer a fair, long-term deal, we would take it [over] arbitration. If it's not considered fair, then even as a worst-case scenario, I'm excited to go into arbitration with what I've been told is a strong case."

Jenks figures to top the first-year arb figure Huston Street received a few years ago, $3.3MM. Jonathan Papelbon is also eligible for arbitration for the first time.

www.chisox.com

Man, I hope the Sox keep Jenks. No point in letting him walk in free agency, lock him up now!

What are the odds that Jenks might give the Sox a hometown discount like Beuhrle did?

And what years/$ figure do you think would be the most realistic for Jenks if the Sox actually gave him an extension?

3/15?

3/12?

3/9?

3/20?

hmmmmm

I just assume a 3-year extension would be a given.

Jenks is under team control for 3 more seasons, he's no where near free agency. This isn't a good time to start talking extension, guaranteeing him 3 years worth of salary just to get a bit of a discount during his arbitration years and maybe buy out a year of free agency with an option. Given the fickle nature of the closer position and Bobby's specific shortcomings and possible red flags it's probably not worth the gamble.

2009 will be the deciding year of Bobby's financial future, if he performs and stays healthy he'll be a very wealthy man going into 2010.

If he were to receive a contract extension right now it'd be worth no less than $20M guaranteed, probably 3 years, $24/$25M guaranteed. ($5M, $8M, $10M, buyout).

The wisest decision this team could make would be to move Bobby for a couple of prospects or find the most interested suitor. If Kenny wants to win me over again this winter, he will trade Jenks for a decent return that some will label not enough.

I like Bobby, but he's a 1-inning closer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
The wisest decision this team could make would be to move Bobby for a couple of prospects or find the most interested suitor. If Kenny wants to win me over again this winter, he will trade Jenks for a decent return that some will label not enough.

I like Bobby, but he's a 1-inning closer.

He's one of the best closers in the game, cheap, young.....why trade him? Think the Twins would trade us Nathan for a couple measly prospects? Maybe we coulda got Rivera a couple years ago the same way.

I'll never understand why people think the closer is pointless. When playoff bids come down to a 163rd game, I want a guy with the ability to get 3 outs in the 9th all year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
Jenks is under team control for 3 more seasons, he's no where near free agency. This isn't a good time to start talking extension, guaranteeing him 3 years worth of salary just to get a bit of a discount during his arbitration years and maybe buy out a year of free agency with an option. Given the fickle nature of the closer position and Bobby's specific shortcomings and possible red flags it's probably not worth the gamble.

Well said. If I were KW, I'd probably also let Bobby walk when he hits free agency. Unless he morphs into the next Trevor Hoffman or Mariano Rivera, he won't be worth the guaranteed $40 million or so he'll command. My feeling is that his best years are right now... Omar Minaya can over-pay for him in 2012.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
Can ptatc or someone equally qualified comment on how likely it is for Bobby's elbow to explode? Many here seem to think this is unavoidable. I'm curious to know what would be required for this to happen.

The elbow is just a concern. That picture of him in your avatar is 100 pounds less than he is now, and he couldn't get off his ass when he fell down then.

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
I sure wouldn't give Bobby a long term deal especially when he is under contract for 3 more years.

Assuming Bobby has another solid season this year, one thing I would consider doing next offseason is offering him a 3 year deal to buy out a year of his FA. But yeah, I don't like going beyond 3 years with pitchers, I especially don't want to do so in this economic environment where revenues are going down.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
I gotta be honest, though. Am I the only one who hopes Bobby will end up staying with the Sox for many and many years, avoid any major problems with his elbow, and ending up being Trevor Hoffman's all-time saves record? Bobby's young enough to do it.

You mean Mariano Rivera's all time saves record.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
No, but by th etime his currrent contract is up, he will.

Well his contract only runs through 2010 and he's 72 saves back of Hoffman. Mo has averaged about 34 saves per season over the past 3 years, assuming he gets good bump in save opportunities thanks to the Yankees improved pitching staff he could maybe save 82-86 games over the next 2 years. Now Trevor wants to keep pitching and there is shortage of quality closers in baseball right now so you figure someone will give him a job. If Hoffman can just pick up 16-20 saves next year with a bad team he could put the saves record out of reach for Rivera until 2011.

I could see Rivera pitching well into his 40's though, he had arguably his most dominant season in 2008 as a 38 year old. He was easily the best relief pitcher in the game last year.