White Sox named as a possibility for Garland

DaTank

Jon Garland  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome him back to the Southside?

• Yes, no matter how much money he wants.
    • Yes, for the right price.
    • No.

The Dodgers, White Sox and Mets could be possibilities for Jon Garland, who's two years younger than Burnett with a better lifetime record (106-89) but not nearly as coveted as a free agent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...an.scoop/1.html

If you want me to add a choice to the poll, let me know. Just don't be asses about it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Garland would fit back into our rotation perfectly with the emergence of Danks and Floyd. It would give Ozzie the flexibility to have a L,R,L,R,L rotation the entire season. If Stone is right and the market drops in January i would love to have Garland for $8 million/season with incentives. . But im guessing he gets nothing less than 10 mill/season...

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
i would love to have Garland for $8 million/season with incentives

Agreed. But despite sucking last season and never coming close to repeating 2005, my guess is that he won't take a pay-cut.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Obviously Garland would fit back into our rotation perfectly with the emergence of Danks and Floyd. It would give Ozzie the flexibility to have a L,R,L,R,L rotation the entire season. If Stone is right and the market drops in January i would love to have Garland for $8 million/season with incentives. . But im guessing he gets nothing less than 10 mill/season...

I think about $8-10 mil/season is about the price for an innings eater pitcher these days. I really wouldn't mind going $10/season, but for no more than 2-3 years.

QUOTE (GLOAD is GOD @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
What would we lose as far as compensation goes? Our Cabrera pick?

He's Type B, meaning we lose nothing. Only the Angels pick up a sandwich pick between the 1 and 2 round, but the team signing him loses NOTHING.

Our compensation for Cabrera is completely dependent on which or if any team signs him, depending on where that team picks and when OCab is signed, with a guaranteed sandwich pick. Also, if no one signs him, we do not receive picks.

If you could get him on a 1 year deal, I would be interested in doing that.

I think Marquez would be best served starting the season out in AAA, and going the Gavin Floyd route back up to Chicago.

Poreda and Richard would battle for the 5th starters job, and if either fails, you've got Marquez and hopefully a healthy Contreras waiting in the wings.

Garland could have an ERA around the high 4's, but he'd also eat 180 innings for you at least, which is something this rotation probably needs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
that's pretty pessimistic kalapse.

:lol:

I would welcome Jon back with open arms. No question about it, he'd be an EXCELLENT 4th starter.

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Garland

winner of the job

That makes our entire rotation's outlook much better.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
If you could get him on a 1 year deal, I would be interested in doing that.

I think Marquez would be best served starting the season out in AAA, and going the Gavin Floyd route back up to Chicago.

Poreda and Richard would battle for the 5th starters job, and if either fails, you've got Marquez and hopefully a healthy Contreras waiting in the wings.

Garland could have an ERA around the high 4's, but he'd also eat 180 innings for you at least, which is something this rotation probably needs.

I'm not counting on crap from Marquez...this year or next. I'm just not seeing it.

As for Jon...I'd do a 2-year-20M...give Poreda first shot and have Richard in the pen.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm not counting on crap from Marquez...this year or next. I'm just not seeing it.

As for Jon...I'd do a 2-year-20M...give Poreda first shot and have Richard in the pen.

Just personal opinion, but I really think Poreda should spend ATLEAST the start of the year in AAA, I jsut think he should work on his changeup more. Im salivating over what he could become if he got his slider and changeup both up to atleast average pitches.

Sign me up for the Bring Back Garland group, as long as it's not for a ridiculous amount of money. He didn't necessarily leave on bad terms, and I was always a pretty big fan of him. I think he's just what we need in that 4th starter spot, someone who's going to do a good job of keeping the ball in the park and eat up a ton of innings.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Sign me up for the Bring Back Garland group, as long as it's not for a ridiculous amount of money. He didn't necessarily leave on bad terms, and I was always a pretty big fan of him. I think he's just what we need in that 4th starter spot, someone who's going to do a good job of keeping the ball in the park and eat up a ton of innings.

He gave up 23 homeruns last season in a pitcher's park and failed to throw 200 innings. There's also that knot in his shoulder.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
He gave up 23 homeruns last season in a pitcher's park and failed to throw 200 innings. There's also that knot in his shoulder.

2 more red flags for Garland;

AWAY - 5.94 ERA, .332 BAA

Post ASB - 5.99 ERA, .322 BAA

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
2 more red flags for Garland;

AWAY - 5.94 ERA, .332 BAA

Post ASB - 5.99 ERA, .322 BAA

2008 was the worst year of his career statistically. 3rd highest WHIP (1.50) of any starter with at least 180 IP last season. The only starter to allow more hits than Garland last season was Buehrle and that was in 22 more innings pitched.

If the Sox are going to have a rotation that includes both Buehrle and Garland then they better make sure the team defense is some of the best in the game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)

18 Home Starts, 11 HR

14 Road Starts, 12 HR

He had to face the Texas offense 3 times (5 HR in those 3 starts), and was a hole 3.1 IP from reaching 200. Like I said, I'd welcome him back as 4th starter.