Quote of Month: "Thank goodness for Kenny Williams"

caulfield12

So, to review, Atlanta spent six weeks and two days negotiating a Peavy trade in October and November. The Braves thought they were moving close to a deal, but the Padres kept changing names on them.

They thought they had a deal with Furcal, only to have that blow up amid what appear to be highly questionable -- and likely unethical -- circumstances.

"It makes it difficult to do your business when a lot of times in this game you're dealing with people who either won't make a deal or can't make a deal," Wren said.

They did acquire starting pitcher Javier Vazquez from the White Sox earlier early this month.

"Thank goodness for Kenny Williams," Wren quipped, referring to Chicago's GM.

scott miller, cbssportsline.com

Let's see if we're (SoxTalk) still saying that at end of the 2009 season.

The Braves are treating this acquisition as the 2nd coming of Greg Maddux. I'm on the Braves email list, and it seems I get an email every other day with Q&A with Vasquez, win a Javier Vasquez signed ball, be the first kid on Peachtree Street with a Javier Vasquez jersey ect. It's all bells and whistles when fans see an additional 200+K's coming to the roatation... the tomahawks will quickly find how that momentum will change.

I don't think he is particularly speaking to the value of Javy Vazquez as much as he is the straight-forwardness and no-nonsense of Kenny in making deals.

It was clearly a barb meant for Furcal's agents, not so much a sigh of relief that Javy is some kind of savioir...

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
The Braves are treating this acquisition as the 2nd coming of Greg Maddux. I'm on the Braves email list, and it seems I get an email every other day with Q&A with Vasquez, win a Javier Vasquez signed ball, be the first kid on Peachtree Street with a Javier Vasquez jersey ect. It's all bells and whistles when fans see an additional 200+K's coming to the roatation... the tomahawks will quickly find how that momentum will change.

I think Javy will do very well in the Internati... oops ... I mean the National League.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
I don't think he is particularly speaking to the value of Javy Vazquez as much as he is the straight-forwardness and no-nonsense of Kenny in making deals.

It was clearly a barb meant for Furcal's agents, not so much a sigh of relief that Javy is some kind of savioir...

Ditto. GMs generally don't publicly insult each other or suggest that a trade is one sided, as they don't want to burn bridges.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)

Absolutely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)

agreed. it's also a shot at Kevin Towers who couldn't seem to make up his mind about what they wanted for Peavy. Atlanta's front office is highly respected as far as being good at what they do and being straightforward and honest in their dealings. To hear them appreciate KW is a great compliment.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
I think Javy is going to do quite well in Atlanta, but at the same time, I'm glad KW traded him when he did. His time in Chicago was clearly done after the stretch run last season.

likely getting the catcher of the future is pretty awesome too

There was a real nice interview with Flowers on WhiteSox Weekly (radio program)... it was two weeks ago I think.

The program started at noon. Ronge started the interview around 12:15 IIRC and it went about 15 minutes.

It's probably archived on the WSCR site if anybody wants to listen to it.

A few comments that really stuck out in my mind:

- He really wants to be a catcher. And it was a point he made to KW when the trade took place.

- When asked about his defense, he pointed out that this was his first full minor league season as a catcher and that his defense improved significantly as the season went on. He also said he focused on his throwing in the AFL and had made significant progress.

- When asked which MLB player (past or present) he would compare his hitting style to... he said he had been told by several people he reminded them of Mark McGuire. And he feels his offensive game is MLB ready right now.

Other good stuff too, but I'm not remembering specifics right now. Worth listening too though.

Edited by scenario