Ahhhh... A Snow Day

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Southern ohio is pretty mild, but literally as soon as an inch accumulated, everything shut down. We literally had ZERO plow trucks near school.

If there's no plow trucks, there's nothing you can do, that's why they shut everything down in the South. I don't understand why they act like that for a light dusting though, the kind where you can still see the grass and don't even need to shovel.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
If there's no plow trucks, there's nothing you can do, that's why they shut everything down in the South. I don't understand why they act like that for a light dusting though, the kind where you can still see the grass and don't even need to shovel.

Once the road gets slippery, or even if there is a little white snow on the ground, people freak the f*** out. They drive 5 MPH, they pull off the road in a snow storm. Its a case of just not being experienced.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
Once the road gets slippery, or even if there is a little white snow on the ground, people freak the f*** out. They drive 5 MPH, they pull off the road in a snow storm. Its a case of just not being experienced.

Yeah, it's hilarious to me. I just want to tell them via a loudspeaker "guys, all you have to do is drive a few mph slower, brake earlier, and turn a little slower, like you do when it rains, seriously IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL AND THE WORLD ISN'T ENDING"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
Yeah, it's hilarious to me. I just want to tell them via a loudspeaker "guys, all you have to do is drive a few mph slower, brake earlier, and turn a little slower, like you do when it rains, seriously IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL AND THE WORLD ISN'T ENDING"

Have you ever been in a car while a friend, neighbor, relative, or cab driver were driving? You're telling me you'd like all of those people to drive at the same speed as you in snowy conditions? I'm glad most of these drivers drive slower than molasses on days like this. Who knows how many more traffic fatalities we'd have if they didn't.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Have you ever been in a car while a friend, neighbor, relative, or cab driver were driving? You're telling me you'd like all of those people to drive at the same speed as you in snowy conditions? I'm glad most of these drivers drive slower than molasses on days like this. Who knows how many more traffic fatalities we'd have if they didn't.

The same speed as me? Yes, because I drive slower when it snows, but not ridiculously slow. Mind you, I'm not talking about snowstorms, I'm talking about a couple of inches over the course of a day, where the road is wet but not slippery.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)

I saw it last night, head on collission about 1 am outside of my window. Van and a Cab. Van fled the scene only to run into a building and get caught up on the concrete divider on madison.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Or if you live south of the Mason-Dixon, they flip the f*** out down there b/c they just don't know what to do.

so true, Vegas got like 3.5 inches earlier in the week and everything shut down, schools, airport...they just couldnt handle it...

I'd almost rather have 8-10 inches of snow than the 3-4 inches of ice that the South suburbs received. Like Southsidedon, I spent about 20 minutes chiseling ice off my car early this morning. I didn't even bother shoveling the driveway because that'd mean I'd have to break apart the ice to get into the ground, then labor from one end of the driveway to the other for a few hours. Snowblowers are useless too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Southern ohio is pretty mild, but literally as soon as an inch accumulated, everything shut down. We literally had ZERO plow trucks near school.

Really? When I lived in Columbus, we had snow plows and everything. We never got out of school unless we had like 6 or 8 inches or something like that. Snow days were the best, though, when they did happen.

Unfortunately, down South it only seems to "ice." Maybe a 1/4 of the time I got out of school here was because of actual snow. The other 75% of the time it was b/c of ice, which isn't fun for anyone. Ice only means more accidents (and maybe deaths) and no fun for the kids... Oh and Lostfan, having lived in the North and 2 parents from Chicago, I find it hilarious the way people freak out down here about possible snow. The shelves at the grocery store are barren with people "stocking up" on bread, bottled water, etc.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Really? When I lived in Columbus, we had snow plows and everything. We never got out of school unless we had like 6 or 8 inches or something like that. Snow days were the best, though, when they did happen.

Unfortunately, down South it only seems to "ice." Maybe a 1/4 of the time I got out of school here was because of actual snow. The other 75% of the time it was b/c of ice, which isn't fun for anyone. Ice only means more accidents (and maybe deaths) and no fun for the kids... Oh and Lostfan, having lived in the North and 2 parents from Chicago, I find it hilarious the way people freak out down here about possible snow. The shelves at the grocery store are barren with people "stocking up" on bread, bottled water, etc.

Thats really central Ohio, I was talking about Southern Ohio near Cincinnati.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Thats really central Ohio, I was talking about Southern Ohio near Cincinnati.

Oh, I know... I just didn't realize the climates were that different for the Cincinnati area to not have snow plows, etc. It's not even 2 hours to Cincy from Columbus.