Danks ready for pressure

DaTank

With the lack of news lately, I thought I'd post this article from Scott Merkin.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Don't talk to John Danks about the added pressure falling upon his 23-year-old shoulders as one of just three established starting pitchers in the White Sox projected 2009 rotation.

Actually, you can bring up the topic to Danks of serving as one of the anchors on the mound in his third full season in the Majors. But the added pressure doesn't seem to bother the most consistent starter among the 2008 American League Central champions.

"I guess you can say yes and no in answering that question," said Danks, speaking recently by phone from his home in Texas. "Yes, because obviously, if things stay the way they are, Kenny [general manager Williams] or Ozzie [manager Guillen] are showing they have a little more faith in us three.

"No, in that it really shouldn't matter because everyone has a job to do. If you put together a rotation of five Cy Young winners, you all still have to do the job. Really, there isn't any more pressure than last year or the year before."

As the White Sox rotation for next year currently stands, the only certainties are Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd and Danks. Buehrle, in the second year of a four-year, $56 million deal, stands out as one of baseball's most consistent starters.

Working in a league featuring a designated hitter and stronger overall offense, Buehrle has only two years out of eight as a starter with an ERA over 4.00. He has registered at least 10 wins, 30 starts and 200 innings in all eight seasons, posting an impressive 122-87 career record with a 3.80 ERA.

The resumes for Floyd and Danks aren't quite as deep or detailed. In fact, both Floyd, 25, and Danks have last year's dominant showings to fall back on and nothing more. With untested rookies such as Clayton Richard, Jeff Marquez, Lance Broadway and even Aaron Poreda lined up to challenge for the fourth and fifth spots during Spring Training, Williams is taking a leap of faith in relying on two other young but supremely talented hurlers.

Of course, Williams' confidence in this pair paid huge dividends during the exciting 2008 campaign. Danks sees no reason why anything has to change.

"I'll go ahead and speak for [Gavin] because I know his work ethic," said Danks, who combined with Floyd for a 29-17 record last season. "We both have similar feelings, in that as good as last year was for us both, we can do better.

"There were three, four or five starts I know I would like to have back. The best pitchers have one or two of those per year, and my goal is to get to that point. I would put money on Gavin's goal being the same thing."

Danks can also speak to the uncertain feelings of pitchers such as Marquez and Richard, who are moving into Glendale, Ariz., with a shot to pitch every fifth day in the Major Leagues on the line. And with Guillen at the helm, there's no such thing as babying or hiding the fifth starter in his rotation.

It was the spring of 2007 when Danks entered behind Floyd in the competition for the fifth starter's spot, sort of the underdog in this particular battle. When Cactus League action was complete, Danks had out-pitched Floyd and earned the chance to round out the White Sox rotation.

Participating in that spring competition truly helped Danks' big league transition, as he produced a 5-6 record and 4.62 ERA in the first half of his rookie season.

"Without a doubt, it helped me," said Danks of his 2007 spring pitch-off with Floyd. "It didn't just help me going into the season, but it kind of made me pitch at the big league level 1 1/2 months before I had to do it.

"Granted, we weren't very good in 2007, but I felt more pressure in Spring Training than I did all season. Those two months during Spring Training really helped me progress as a pitcher."

According to Danks, Richard, a fellow left-hander, showed glimpses of being Major League ready during his 13 games in 2008. Danks pointed to the one run Richard gave up over 6 1/3 innings of relief against the Rays during the American League Division Series as an example, and added with a laugh that not too many pitchers strike out seven in their debut -- as Richard did at home against Texas on July 23.

Regardless of who survives the fight for the final two starting spots, if the talent alignment remains the same, growing pains are sure to follow. Danks followed up his solid first half in 2007 with a 1-7 record and 7.11 ERA after the All-Star break.

Adding a cutter to his repertoire in 2008 and figuring out in his last couple of starts "what it took to go deeper into games," Danks jumped to All-Star status. He yielded two runs or less in 22 of his 33 starts, tying him with AL Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee for the lead in that category. The White Sox will need more of the same and then some in '09.

But don't talk to Danks concerning the added expectations heaped upon him. Remember, this is the pitcher who picked up the White Sox lone playoff victory and turned in the performance of his life during a one-game playoff against Minnesota for the division title during the home 'blackout' of Sept. 30.

He didn't flinch during either opportunity.

"You know, it's a game I've sat and watched a couple of times at the house," said Danks, with a laugh, of his two hits allowed over eight scoreless innings in the thrilling 1-0 victory over the Twins. "There are points in that game where I still get nervous, where I tell myself, 'You have to make a pitch right here.' And I already know the outcome.

"That's a game I'll cherish for a long time. But I want to pitch in bigger and better games. I want to get the ring. Now, I'm looking forward to seeing if what I learned in my last couple of starts translates into greater strides made as a pitcher."

2q8dkkg.jpg

At just 23, John Danks has established himself as one of the White Sox premier hurlers.

John Danks is without a doubt my favorite pitcher on the staff right now. I can't wait until I start seeing "Danks 50" t-shirts at the stores.

I hope the Sox can keep him for a long, long time. It'd be nice if Danks/Floyd can become Chicago's version of Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz.

Does anyone think that, when free agency comes up, that the Danks family might favor staying in Chicago for less money rather than seek more money/years elsewhere? With how John and Jordan are no longer represented by Boras, and how their new agent is, if I'm not mistaken, the same agent as Beuhrle's, hopefully we'll always have the inside track on negotiations with the Danks.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
John Danks is without a doubt my favorite pitcher on the staff right now. I can't wait until I start seeing "Danks 50" t-shirts at the stores.

I hope the Sox can keep him for a long, long time. It'd be nice if Danks/Floyd can become Chicago's version of Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz.

Does anyone think that, when free agency comes up, that the Danks family might favor staying in Chicago for less money rather than seek more money/years elsewhere? With how John and Jordan are no longer represented by Boras, and how their new agent is, if I'm not mistaken, the same agent as Beuhrle's, hopefully we'll always have the inside track on negotiations with the Danks.

I have a feeling it will be similar to the Buehrle situation. As long as we give Danks a fair deal, he will accept. Obviously, it would help if Jordan plays well and is a starter somewhere because that might influence him. But also we have to worry about how we treat Jordan; actually it is a tough situation because you want to give him a shot because you don't want the family to think he was mistreated, but you also don't want to give him too many favors because of his brother.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)

He is definitely my favorite as well. I think if we acquire Bailey (or a similar type of pitcher) and he pans out, we can have our Danks/Floyd/Bailey just as Maddux, Glavine Smoltz. (2 righties, 1 lefty in both trios.

I think John would most likely accept a deal to stay here for less money for one reason: we gave him a shot when he wasn't performing in the Minors for the Rangers.

I absolutely love everything about this guy.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
He is definitely my favorite as well. I think if we acquire Bailey (or a similar type of pitcher) and he pans out, we can have our Danks/Floyd/Bailey just as Maddux, Glavine Smoltz. (2 righties, 1 lefty in both trios.

I think John would most likely accept a deal to stay here for less money for one reason: we gave him a shot when he wasn't performing in the Minors for the Rangers.

I absolutely love everything about this guy.

Two Reasons. He brother will be in the OF.

There are a lot of things I worry about with this team, but John Danks isn't one of them. He's young, he's left handed, he has great stuff, and best of all perhaps, he has that indescribable "it" that great athletes tend to have. I have no concern he'll handle the pressure to "prove it again" in 2009 quite well. Doesn't get much more pressure packed than a 1 game playoff, and he pitched the best game of his life under those circumstances.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Going deep into games is about the only weakness of his right now.

I don't know if I'd call it a weakness of his as much as I'd call it Ozzie being cautious. Yeah, he was taken out early a few times because it just wasn't his day. But there were a few other games where he was pitching well and he ended up with 6 or so innings.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
There are a lot of things I worry about with this team, but John Danks isn't one of them. He's young, he's left handed, he has great stuff, and best of all perhaps, he has that indescribable "it" that great athletes tend to have. I have no concern he'll handle the pressure to "prove it again" in 2009 quite well. Doesn't get much more pressure packed than a 1 game playoff, and he pitched the best game of his life under those circumstances.

I worry about the # of innings he threw last year.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
I don't know if I'd call it a weakness of his as much as I'd call it Ozzie being cautious. Yeah, he was taken out early a few times because it just wasn't his day. But there were a few other games where he was pitching well and he ended up with 6 or so innings.

John Danks splits, pitch counts

Gavin Floyd splits, pitch count

Danks dominates within his first 75 pitches and then generally gets hit around. Floyd is pretty consistently mediocre throughout the game, and he limits damage a bit better deep into games.

It's Ozzie being cautious for good reason, Danks gets hit around like a pinata after 75 pitches or so; Danks can't really go deep into games at this point in his career.