Yankees sign Teixeira

whitesoxfan99

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees are making a strong run at signing free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira, according to a source close to the negotiations.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Yankee by the end of the day," the source said, adding that the team has been in "heavy negotiations" with Teixeira's agent, Scott Boras.

Rosenthal

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
wow. has the yankee payroll hit 300 mill/season yet?

It's getting pretty ridiculous. But I can't blame the Yankees. They've got the money and have no problem spending it. This is all on MLB. I just can't wait to hear Teixeira say how "signing here was not about the money." I'd have so much more respect for these guys if they would just come out and say "it has everything to do with the money."

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
wow. has the yankee payroll hit 300 mill/season yet?

The crazy thing is they really haven't raised their payroll from last season. Abreu, Giambi, Mussina, Pavano, along with currently Pettitte are all off the books. Giambi was making 23 million, Abreu 16, Pettitte 16, Pavano and Mussina about 11.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
hes not worth that much

No, but the Yankees can clearly afford it and they keep him from the Red Sox. Plus they were paying Giambi this much the last couple of years so why not do the same for Teixeira. This is simply another case of a contract that would be bad for other teams just not being a big deal for the Yankees.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
lol, this is getting on my f***ing nerves, it's like 3 years ago all over again.

Teixeira isn't a 20 million a year type of player.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
hes not worth that much

Yeah, but he is probably the best first baseman in baseball. Still young, a .300+ hitter, 40 HR, 100 RBI, great walk numbers and gold glover to boot. He is the best at his position.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
lol, this is getting on my f***ing nerves, it's like 3 years ago all over again.

Teixeira isn't a 20 million a year type of player.

I agree. Mark Teixeira is a very good hitter, but he's not of elite caliber. I can see him failing to live up to the contract just a few years into the eight-year deal.

This means that the Yankees have signed both the premier free agent hitter and pitcher this offseason. Damn.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Yeah, but he is probably the best first baseman in baseball. Still young, a .300+ hitter, 40 HR, 100 RBI, great walk numbers and gold glover to boot. He is the best at his position.

Albert Pujols says hi

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)

Pujols is by far the best first baseman in any measure.