Yankees sign Teixeira

whitesoxfan99

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm sure he will play LF, RF, DH and 1B to spell guys.

In other words, by getting to the deal early, KW swiped some reasonable talent from the Yankees and dumped some salary to give them a guy that it turns out they won't really need.

Nicely done Kenny.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I used to feel this way, but I really have thought about it, and it doesn't make any sense to me. With MLB not setting a salary cap, why should the Yanks limit spending if they have it? They have created an empire, and instead of Yankee fans having to read about their team cutting millions in payroll, they outbid everyone for the best players on the market. On top of it, the farm system has gone back to producing for them.

I'm not saying the rules should change or anything. Just that I still have some loyalty to the idea of real competition in baseball. Parity is good. That makes the Yankees bad.

Also, when you go purely for biggest buck, that tends to net you a higher percentage of just plain unlikeable players.

My feelings on this are not logical. Purely emotional.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
The Tigers rotation can't come close to sniffing what the Yanks have.

This. The Yankees had what could be considered a hores*** year for them in '08 and still won 89 games? They're the lead-dog in that division as of right now. Of course, I hope they fail miserably.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
I used to feel this way, but I really have thought about it, and it doesn't make any sense to me. With MLB not setting a salary cap, why should the Yanks limit spending if they have it? They have created an empire, and instead of Yankee fans having to read about their team cutting millions in payroll, they outbid everyone for the best players on the market. On top of it, the farm system has gone back to producing for them.

It's not the Yankees so much as it's the MLB. Every year, same s***, either the Yankees or the Red Sox (usually the Yankees) and sometimes the Mets sign the top free agents at a ridiculous price that's not close to the next-best player. The prices usually eliminate all but about 5 teams from the market. Probaly reason 1A why I like the NFL and NBA better. If you want to spend like a coke whore, there's consequences for it.

new york is a great place too - i love it there during the spring, winter, and fall.... i'd move to new york and be a new york baseball fan if it was the new york white sox

lol

i must say though - ive never been to chicago for longer than 1 day. =)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I must admit I do wonder at times what it must feel like to be a Yankee fan. Must be an amazing feeling knowing that whenever a big-time, quality FA becomes available you know your team has a better than 50% (more like 70% it seems) chance of landing him.

I bet a lot of them have the same thought process as the Steinbrenners do - pissed whenever they don't win because they can and do dish out insane amounts of money for a lot of their players.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Yeah, but he is probably the best first baseman in baseball. Still young, a .300+ hitter, 40 HR, 100 RBI, great walk numbers and gold glover to boot. He is the best at his position.

Albert Pujols just gave you the middle finger.

The Yankees have signed an overweight starting pitcher who has thrown over 500 innings the past two years, a very good but not great first baseman, and an inconsistent, oft-injured starting pitcher. Their offense is ridiculously old, they're a poor defensive team, the back-end of their rotation is unproven, and their bullpen after Mariano is suspect. Frankly, I think they'll probably make the playoffs, but they're far from a lock for the pennant, in my opinion.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
The Yankees have signed an overweight starting pitcher who has thrown over 500 innings the past two years, a very good but not great first baseman, and an inconsistent, oft-injured starting pitcher. Their offense is ridiculously old, they're a poor defensive team, the back-end of their rotation is unproven, and their bullpen after Mariano is suspect. Frankly, I think they'll probably make the playoffs, but they're far from a lock for the pennant, in my opinion.

Their offense just got a lot younger by getting free of Abreu and Giambi. The oldest position players they have are Posada (37), Damon (35), and Jeter (34).

EDIT: Forgot about Matsui, he's 34.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
So, Swisher sits on the bench then?

I can see him getting traded. When the Yanks acquired him, they said he would exclusively play 1B. Now that they have Teixeira, I doubt they'll keep him on the bench to play at most 10-15 games for him during the season.