Yankees sign Teixeira

whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
I can see him getting traded. When the Yanks acquired him, they said he would exclusively play 1B. Now that they have Teixeira, I doubt they'll keep him on the bench to play at most 10-15 games for him during the season.

I just read an article in the New York Post that suggests the Yanks are likely to try and trade Matsui instead.

He's going into the final year of his contract.

Total speculation but I could see him getting moved to the Dodgers.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
I just read an article in the New York Post that suggests the Yanks are likely to try and trade Matsui instead.

He's going into the final year of his contract.

Total speculation but I could see him getting moved to the Dodgers.

Would it be any trouble to you to post a link? Please and thank you. I'm not sure about the Dodgers part. They already have overpaid outfielders in Jones and Pierre. I just can't see them taking on another (if you're referring to Matsui).

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
Would it be any trouble to you to post a link? Please and thank you.

I would have but I just cleared my cache and lost the link.

Will look it up later.

Edit... here it is... with a quote too.

Teixeira instantly becomes the Yankees' No. 3 hitter, behind Derek Jeter and in front of Alex Rodriguez. It addresses both offensive and defensive issues that were pressing for the Yankees in the upcoming season.

But the Yankees were just as worried about 2010. Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Xavier Nady are all entering the walk year of their contracts.

So the Yankees were looking at replacing as many as three lineup slots. However, next offseason the free-agent market is much leaner than this one, with only another Scott Boras client, Matt Holiday, as a standout performer near his prime.

Though the Yankees feel they have pitching prospects ready to break through, they do not believe the same about their positional base on their farm. Thus, they worried that if they did not act on Teixeira now they would regret it a year from now.

The Yankees will try to trade at least one player from the group of Damon, Matsui, Nady and Nick Swisher to unclog a logjam at corner outfield/DH/first base, also trying to reduce some payroll.

The player the Yankees would most like to move is Matsui, who is due $13 million a year. The Angels, after failing to land Teixeira, are among the teams looking for a productive bat and have room at DH. The Rangers, A's and Rays also could fall into that category.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
I would have but I just cleared my cache and lost the link.

Will look it up later.

Edit... here it is... with a quote too.

Teixeira instantly becomes the Yankees' No. 3 hitter, behind Derek Jeter and in front of Alex Rodriguez. It addresses both offensive and defensive issues that were pressing for the Yankees in the upcoming season.

But the Yankees were just as worried about 2010. Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Xavier Nady are all entering the walk year of their contracts.

So the Yankees were looking at replacing as many as three lineup slots. However, next offseason the free-agent market is much leaner than this one, with only another Scott Boras client, Matt Holiday, as a standout performer near his prime.

Though the Yankees feel they have pitching prospects ready to break through, they do not believe the same about their positional base on their farm. Thus, they worried that if they did not act on Teixeira now they would regret it a year from now.

The Yankees will try to trade at least one player from the group of Damon, Matsui, Nady and Nick Swisher to unclog a logjam at corner outfield/DH/first base, also trying to reduce some payroll.

The player the Yankees would most like to move is Matsui, who is due $13 million a year. The Angels, after failing to land Teixeira, are among the teams looking for a productive bat and have room at DH. The Rangers, A's and Rays also could fall into that category.

Gracias. No doubt about it their best bet is to trade either Matsui or Damon. I can't see them getting much in return for either of them, though.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
The Yankees have signed an overweight starting pitcher who has thrown over 500 innings the past two years, a very good but not great first baseman, and an inconsistent, oft-injured starting pitcher. Their offense is ridiculously old, they're a poor defensive team, the back-end of their rotation is unproven, and their bullpen after Mariano is suspect. Frankly, I think they'll probably make the playoffs, but they're far from a lock for the pennant, in my opinion.

They also signed two top of the rotation starters and a fantastic all-around 1Bman (very good but not great? that's basically the same exact thing and Teixeira is a top 5 1Bman in the game either way).

The Yankees have made themselves worlds better this past offseason, even if it does come back and bite them in the ass in the long run...it really doesn't matter to them as they can spend and spend and it'll have little long-term repercussions on them.

I understand all the points that people will make about the Yankees not having won since 2000 and our Sox were one of the top spenders last season and have won a World Series very recently, but baseball still DESPERATELY needs a true, hard salary cap. It will never happen with dumb Uncle Bud in charge, but hopefully one day it will.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
You know what's interesting? The Yankees had so much money coming off the books, they haven't even increased their payroll from last season.

They dropped 88.5 mil off their payroll and even after signing CC, Burnett, and Tex, they have about 22 million left of that that they could still spend.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
They dropped 88.5 mil off their payroll and even after signing CC, Burnett, and Tex, they have about 22 million left of that that they could still spend.

(Hem, hem) MANNY RAMIREZ

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
The more that I think about it, I wouldn't mind trading off Paulie somewhere and re-acquiring Swish.

*Waits for people to come in thread and say reacquiring Swish would be crazy*

Personally, I liked Swisher but I wonder what the Yankees would want for Swish.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)

Marquez, Betemit and Nunez??

Actually Swisher wouldn't be too bad to reacquire and then sending PK somewhere for more prospects. Or heck, package both Jermaine and him to TB for something really really nice. I'm just dreaming out loud though.

Yankees are serious about getting their crown back.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)

I look at it this way: they absolutely have to get rid of one of those extra outfielders and we all know that, so that would already knock something off of their asking price. As long as we didnt have to give up anybody in our top 15 prospects or give back Marquez, I'd be glad to have him back.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Marquez, Betemit and Nunez??

Actually Swisher wouldn't be too bad to reacquire and then sending PK somewhere for more prospects. Or heck, package both Jermaine and him to TB for something really really nice. I'm just dreaming out loud though.

Yankees are serious about getting their crown back.

I would LOVE to have David Price, but he's untouchable, right?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
Sure is. I wonder if would be able to pry Kazmir away from them. Meh, more wishful thinking. Heck a James Shields would be nice.

A Paulie and Dye package should be able to net Kazmir, heck maybe even most stuff not considered untouchable. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but Paulie is only two years removed from being a top-notch 1B and Dye is a great hitter. The only thing that would hold us back from getting a GREAT player for a PK/Dye package would be their age and contracts.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
A Paulie and Dye package should be able to net Kazmir, heck maybe even most stuff not considered untouchable. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but Paulie is only two years removed from being a top-notch 1B and Dye is a great hitter. The only thing that would hold us back from getting a GREAT player for a PK/Dye package would be their age and contracts.

You'd have to be crazy to think the Rays would move one of their top SP right now. They simply have no reason to trade one of them right now.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
You'd have to be crazy to think the Rays would move one of their top SP right now. They simply have no reason to trade one of them right now.

But... they might consider trading one for the right deal... because they are going to into spring training with 8 MLB ready starting pitchers.

I'm not saying we should trade Paulie or JD... or that that Tampa would want them or want to take on those salaries...

But Tampa is probably deeper in starting pitching talent right now than any team in baseball.

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade involving pitching before the season starts.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)

They have a ton of depth at the SP slot, so trading away a top guy wouldn't hurt them that much. Dye would give them a great outfield with Crawford, Upton, and Dye (not to mention the only all black starting OF I've ever seen?) and Konerko could be a solid DH for them.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
But... they might consider trading one for the right deal... because they are going to into spring training with 8 MLB ready starting pitchers.

I'm not saying we should trade Paulie or JD... or that that Tampa would want them or want to take on those salaries...

But Tampa is probably deeper in starting pitching talent right now than any team in baseball.

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade involving pitching before the season starts.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
They have a ton of depth at the SP slot, so trading away a top guy wouldn't hurt them that much. Dye would give them a great outfield with Crawford, Upton, and Dye (not to mention the only all black starting OF I've ever seen?) and Konerko could be a solid DH for them.

They simply do not have any holes that would require them to trade an ace to fill. Coming off of a World Series with the deepest farm system in the majors, and one of the deepest farms mankind has seen in quite some time, there is no reason to trade one of your top young established SP. This isn't like the Sox. The Rays are sitting on a gold mine. They could trade for Peavy without putting much of a dent in their farm system. They don't need to trade from the Major League club to improve the Major League club.

And as far as Dye and Konerko is concerned, the FA market is flooded with corner OF options, and Giambi can be had for cheap to fill the DH role. Dye and Konerko make very little sense for the Rays in exchange for anything of importance on their Major League roster.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
They simply do not have any holes that would require them to trade an ace to fill. Coming off of a World Series with the deepest farm system in the majors, and one of the deepest farms mankind has seen in quite some time, there is no reason to trade one of your top young established SP. This isn't like the Sox. The Rays are sitting on a gold mine. They could trade for Peavy without putting much of a dent in their farm system. They don't need to trade from the Major League club to improve the Major League club.

And as far as Dye and Konerko is concerned, the FA market is flooded with corner OF options, and Giambi can be had for cheap to fill the DH role. Dye and Konerko make very little sense for the Rays in exchange for anything of importance on their Major League roster.

Do you really think that Giambi will take that large of a pay cut from his what - $18 million last year?