Yankees sign Teixeira

whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Do you really think that Giambi will take that large of a pay cut from his what - $18 million last year?

yeah...he is 38. I don't think he's going to go for like $3 million, but somewhere around $7-10 million for 1 year makes perfect sense to me for Giambi.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
yeah...he is 38. I don't think he's going to go for like $3 million, but somewhere around $7-10 million for 1 year makes perfect sense to me for Giambi.

That's not exactly cheap for a 38 year old, former steroid user, though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)

Absolutely. There just isn't a market for him. He's reached the point that no team will consider him to be their full-time 1B. I see a $6-8 mil, one year contract (+incentives) with either a team option or vesting option.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
That's not exactly cheap for a 38 year old, former steroid user, though.

for an .875 OPS, that's cheap as hell. Thome's making $13 million this year and that's about what he put up last season.

And who gives a s*** if he's a former steroid user, he's apologized for it and he's still a productive player. I want Barry Bonds on the Sox and he's the poster child for steroid use, but if they signed him, he'd put up sickass numbers for them and they'd be contenders.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
Absolutely. There just isn't a market for him. He's reached the point that no team will consider him to be their full-time 1B.

I think it's down to either Tampa or Oakland and he'll take whichever team gives him the most money. That, or he can just retire, seeing as how he's loaded after the deal he signed with the Yankees.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
for an .875 OPS, that's cheap as hell. Thome's making $13 million this year and that's about what he put up last season.

And who gives a s*** if he's a former steroid user, he's apologized for it and he's still a productive player. I want Barry Bonds on the Sox and he's the poster child for steroid use, but if they signed him, he'd put up sickass numbers for them and they'd be contenders.

I honestly don't give a damn that he's used steroids, it's the fact that it starts breaks down the body after so much use.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
and it's a 1-year commitment. No team should be afraid of his body breaking down that badly.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Especially considering he'll be a full-time DH. He probably won't even bring a glove to the ballpark.

I will gracefully accept defeat in this discussion.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
I can see the North side team trying to get Matsui

Does anyone know if the payroll of just the Yankee infield is more than several TEAMS total payroll in mlb?

to answer your question, yes it is. ARod's at $32 mill, Jeter's at $20 mill, Teixeira will be at probably $20 mill, and Cano is making $6 mill...$78 million between the 4 of them.

If the NYY stand pat they won't run away with this division. the Rays and Red Sox are still two very good teams.

I'm not saying the Yankees haven't made some good signings, but Captain Clutch is another year older, there's no guarantee Cano is going to bounce back, 2 out of the last 3 years Matsui hasn't played over 100 games and Mussina had a crazy year last year where he pitched better than CC did when CC was with Cleveland, so that was a major hole for the Yankees to fill from last years rotation.

There's no doubt they'll be up there and have made some solid moves, but that AL East is still crazy talented and, to this point, I don't see the NYY running away with anything.

Now if they sign Manny I take back all of that.

Hilarious reading this thread. "He's good not great, the yanks are average at best." A Whole lotta jealousy and sour grapes in here.

Tex is a hell of a player and a top 3 guy at his position. It was a good addition, and the money doesnt hurt them, so who cares how much he makes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Hilarious reading this thread. "He's good not great, the yanks are average at best." A Whole lotta jealousy and sour grapes in here.

Tex is a hell of a player and a top 3 guy at his position. It was a good addition, and the money doesnt hurt them, so who cares how much he makes.

I agree, don't take my last post to say the Yankees aren't going to be an excellent team this year, I think Tex is probably the best signing out of the big 3. I'm just trying to point out that they had some flaws last year and Mussina's perfornamce last year was outstanding and they lost that and had to fill it, which they did a more than ample job doing with CC.

I'm just trying to point out don't enscribe their name on the AL East or the WS trophy just yet. But again, if they sign Manny, it's going to be crazy.

Tex is a very good player, but not 180 million dollars worth. But I guess if you got the money, why the hell not? I personally don't believe in their philosophy, but whatever. They have added at least two guys who will make a difference for them. The jury is still out on A.J. Burnett. Even if he does stay healthy, which one is gonna show up, the good one or the bad one?

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Especially considering he'll be a full-time DH. He probably won't even bring a glove to the ballpark.

Glove? What glove? :P

The one Giambi had in New York was full of holes.

Edited by scenario

I've got no problem admitting I'm jealous. A team that won 89 games last year just signed a CY candidate, a supremely talented, flame-throwing RH who led the AL in strikeouts last year, and the second best all-around first baseman in baseball. Who's next?

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Gracias. No doubt about it their best bet is to trade either Matsui or Damon. I can't see them getting much in return for either of them, though.

They won't trade Damon, they need a leadoff guy and he was pretty productive in 2008. Matsui they would love to trade, but they would have to eat a lot of contract to do that.