Reds sign Taveras

Sockin

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Willy Tavares is a LOT better then Jerry Owens. I don't even consider Jerry Owens a baseball player, that's how bad he is.

You are welcome to feel that way. IMO, if Owens and Taveras played full time in the same league in 2009, you'd see them put up pretty much identical numbers. Taveras has a better arm, but also has a broken leg issue. They are a wash to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
So besides Owens, who is left as a potential leadoff hitting Centerfield target for the White Sox?

Kenny said the next thing he would do was focus on the outfield. So far it has been very quite... Im guessing he will continue to be patient, see where the market is in a week or two and then pull a trigger or two. He wants to maximize what he gets in return for Dye or Konerko. With most teams taking shape heading into the new year- KW can zone into teams with specific needs. For instance, the Angels are seeking a 1B. The Giants are seeking veteran hitters, and with the aquisition of Randy Johnson, Jonathan Sanchez is likely available. The Reds are aslo looking for some offensive power... I am more than possitive KW is looking at all the possibile returns from some of those teams im sure if he can find a leadoff hitter from one of those teams within there minor league systems he is doing that... Just wait a few more weeks, than the market will be that much clearer and KW shall STRIKE!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Kenny said the next thing he would do was focus on the outfield. So far it has been very quite... Im guessing he will continue to be patient, see where the market is in a week or two and then pull a trigger or two. He wants to maximize what he gets in return for Dye or Konerko. With most teams taking shape heading into the new year- KW can zone into teams with specific needs. For instance, the Angels are seeking a 1B. The Giants are seeking veteran hitters, and with the aquisition of Randy Johnson, Jonathan Sanchez is likely available. The Reds are aslo looking for some offensive power... I am more than possitive KW is looking at all the possibile returns from some of those teams im sure if he can find a leadoff hitter from one of those teams within there minor league systems he is doing that... Just wait a few more weeks, than the market will be that much clearer and KW shall STRIKE!

You might be right. RJ obviously isn't a long-term solution and they have a pretty formidable rotation with Lincecum, Cain, Zito, RJ, and Sanchez (not sure what Noah Lowry's situation is), but he certainly could be used to help them land a bat they desperately need. Of course, they could always keep Sanchez and sign a Dunn, Abreu, etc.

Taveras' deal is worth $6.25MM over two years, according to our old friend Hal McCoy. WOW. That's more than we are paying Alexei Ramirez for four seasons. (And I say this keeping in mind how much we've been paying Uribe the last couple of seasons).

Maybe KW was sniffing around at some point...but I'm sure he wasn't willing to pony up that kind of money. Interesting (VERY!) move by the Reds to shell out that kind of cash when they supposedly can't afford Jermaine Dye.

If that was the option he was presented, even Jerry Owens looks attractive in comparison.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 01:54 AM)
Taveras' deal is worth $6.25MM over two years, according to our old friend Hal McCoy. WOW. That's more than we are paying Alexei Ramirez for four seasons. (And I say this keeping in mind how much we've been paying Uribe the last couple of seasons).

Maybe KW was sniffing around at some point...but I'm sure he wasn't willing to pony up that kind of money. Interesting (VERY!) move by the Reds to shell out that kind of cash when they supposedly can't afford Jermaine Dye.

If that was the option he was presented, even Jerry Owens looks attractive in comparison.

S***! I was expecting about $2.25-$3 million over two years.