Zito Out

DonkeyKongerko

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar03/s/2003/07...14/1580480.html

Zito is pretty pissed. Apparently Macha, Peterson, and Billy Beane said that Zito could not pitch in the All Star Game so he was taken off the team. Clemens was taken in his place. The only reason I am not ok with this is because Zito had absolutely no say in the decision whatsoever. Other than that it is good to allow Clemens one last All Star appearance.

Guest hotsoxchick1
http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar03/s/2003/07...14/1580480.html

Zito is pretty pissed.  Apparently Macha, Peterson, and Billy Beane said that Zito could not pitch in the All Star Game so he was taken off the team.  Clemens was taken in his place.  The only reason I am not ok with this is because Zito had absolutely no say in the decision whatsoever.  Other than that it is good to allow Clemens one last All Star appearance.

whats the point in voting if they (the managers and gm's) are gonna change the lineups or make final decisions on what a player can or can not do... what ever happened to this game being for the FANS????????? it was the fans choice to have him pitch .. the fans should see him pitch....... :fyou this ....its all a big bunch of b.s...........

Guest hotsoxchick1
This is getting so stupid.  The all star game is pointless, and that is exactly what the players, coaches and management treat it like.

pointless, for something thats supposed to count for so much in the end lol....... ;)

They should cut the season down to around 140 games and start the season in mid-april rather than end of march and end the season in by the end os sept. and have an All-Star game then. Maybe something like US vs. The world or something like the NFL does with the Pro Bowl.

Guest hotsoxchick1
They should cut the season down to around 140 games and start the season in mid-april rather than end of march and end the season in by the end os sept. and have an All-Star game then. Maybe something like US vs. The world or something like the NFL does with the Pro Bowl.

the only reason they have an all star game in the first place is to put more money in thier pockets so they can pay guys like arod outragous salaries......... ;)

Why couldn't they of simply said. Since Zito pitched yesterday he will be unavailable for the All Star game. Of course first the A's should of told Barry.

Then MLB replaces him with Clemens on the roster, but Zito still goes to the game and dresses, he just doesn't pitch.

Thats how I'd handle it.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Why couldn't they of simply said.  Since Zito pitched yesterday he will be unavailable for the All Star game.  Of course first the A's should of told Barry. 

Then MLB replaces him with Clemens on the roster, but Zito still goes to the game and dresses, he just doesn't pitch. 

Thats how I'd handle it.

you dont think the a's should have made some kind of arrangements to have zito not pitch yesterday? i mean jm made sure that it was ok for loz to be there...........id say that it was a bad pr move on oaklands part to not make provisions for zito.........dont ya think?????

Well I must be the only person that wishes Loaiza wasn't the starter. I don't want him pitching 3 innings. Heck, I could care less if he pitches. I want the guy pitching for the Sox when it counts as many times as possible.

Of course there is a plus in getting a guy to pitch in the all star game cause it gets his name out from a marketing standpoint.

Still, nothing is more important then the regular season and then of course post-season.

Loaiza HAS to start and should throw three innings if needed. why? the sox have not played good enough to keep Loaiza from doing so. only few players have the honor of starting in an all-star game, let Loaiza enjoy it.

Well I must be the only person that wishes Loaiza wasn't the starter.  I don't want him pitching 3 innings.  Heck, I could care less if he pitches.  I want the guy pitching for the Sox when it counts as many times as possible. 

Of course there is a plus in getting a guy to pitch in the all star game cause it gets his name out from a marketing standpoint. 

Still, nothing is more important then the regular season and then of course post-season.

Why aren't you happy for the guy? He's worked so hard to get to this point. A lot of players might have hung em up after the way his career has gone, but he stuck with it and is reaping the benefits now.

And 3 IP is no big deal at all. He's gone an average of like 7 innings every 5 days for the past 3 months. What's 3 innings at the AS game going to hurt? By the same logic, do you hope Magglio and Everett don't play? Afterall, they could get hit in the hand with a pitch or break their leg diving for a ball, right?

:huh:

Well I'm very happy for Esteban. Its just with the team in the thick of things I'd rather have him starting for the Sox right after the break then pitching in the game.

I do agree though the guy has earned it and I will be cheering for him the entire game. I just think its so stupid that this is thought of as more then an exhibition game. I wish they would do this and just let each pitcher go an inning or so and then have a few guys from the futures game rosters there in case they need anything else.

And your right 3 innings isn't much.

Also Mario, Halladay did something similar to Zito, well it wasn't Halladay himself but his manager.

I just think its so stupid that this is thought of as more then an exhibition game.

Yes, it's sad that the AS game has been reduced to a meaningless exhibition. Maybe it's always been meaningless, but the players involved didn't always play like it was meaningless (just ask Ray Fossey - spelling?).

Yes, it's sad that the AS game has been reduced to a meaningless exhibition.  Maybe it's always been meaningless, but the players involved didn't always play like it was meaningless (just ask Ray Fossey - spelling?).

Was that the guy Pete Rose took out?

Guest hotsoxchick1
Yes, it's sad that the AS game has been reduced to a meaningless exhibition.  Maybe it's always been meaningless, but the players involved didn't always play like it was meaningless (just ask Ray Fossey - spelling?).

i agree clujo.....mlb owners and bud selig turned it into a meaningless event....their only concern is to make money ... not for the enjoyment of the fans......or the honor for the players to participate......... ;)

Yes.

I'd like the game to mean more, but it has to be the players that want it to mean more, not baseball trying to say it decides the playoffs.

I think the game means a lot to these guys, in the terms of pride. They all try to go out and make a bigger name for themselves.

In last years game how cool was the play where Hunter robbed Bonds and then Barry joke tackled him.

That and seeing Lasord going flying down about two games ago are some recent memories I have. Well that with Konerko and Maggs having damn good games last year.

I'd like the game to mean more, but it has to be the players that want it to mean more, not baseball trying to say it decides the playoffs. 

I think the game means a lot to these guys, in the terms of pride.  They all try to go out and make a bigger name for themselves.

In last years game how cool was the play where Hunter robbed Bonds and then Barry joke tackled him.

That and seeing Lasord going flying down about two games ago are some recent memories I have.  Well that with Konerko and Maggs having damn good games last year.

There have been a lot of things that have made the game mean less. I think the first thing is interleague play. Used to be, these players only played in the WS, and there was a sense of hatred between the 2 leagues. Now that they play each other a lot, the anger doesn't build up -- it's time-released. Also, with players moving around as much as they do, there's no sense of "I'm an American Leaguer". It's "I'm a baseball player" now. Plus, they make so much damned money now that a lot of things mean less to them -- AS game included.

Without a doubt my most memorable AS game moment was Cal's HR in his final AS appearance. It was simply amazing and a great sports moment.

I think the game means a lot to these guys, in the terms of pride.  They all try to go out and make a bigger name for themselves.

That and seeing Lasord going flying down about two games ago are some recent memories I have.  Well that with Konerko and Maggs having damn good games last year.

There have been a lot of things that have made the game mean less. I think the first thing is interleague play. Used to be, these players only played in the WS, and there was a sense of hatred between the 2 leagues. Now that they play each other a lot, the anger doesn't build up -- it's time-released. Also, with players moving around as much as they do, there's no sense of "I'm an American Leaguer". It's "I'm a baseball player" now. Plus, they make so much damned money now that a lot of things mean less to them -- AS game included.

Without a doubt my most memorable AS game moment was Cal's HR in his final AS appearance. It was simply amazing and a great sports moment.

All good points....

Add to it, the 1993 All-Star game in Baltimore where Mike Mussina never got to pitch. There was a fan and media uproar about the hometown guy not getting to play. After that, the managers started managing differently. They started trying to appease the players by making sure they followed "Little League" rules (everybody gets to play).

Once they did that, the starters began playing fewer innings, pitchers rarely went two innings (or God forbid the starter go three like they used to), etc. With that, players knew they would be out of the game in the 3rd inning so many of them made travel plans and were out of town before the game even ended.

MLB is trying to do what they should do and that is have a directive in how the game and player's innings are managed. They are doing so by the "winning team's league gets home field advantage" which is not necessary at all. All they needed to do is direct the managers to handle the game within certain guidelines and tell the players to expect it. I do believe that the players play hard while they are in the game, however.