Could the Giants be a player for Paulie?

beck72

The Giants are in great need of a power hitting 1b man like Konerko, much more than the Angels. They have few big bats and could use his HR power. Right now the only spots to add a bat for them would be 3B and 1B [though it looks like 3b could go to their LH hitting, 22 yr old Pablo Sandoval-who also can play 1b and C]. They have two other 1b men [bowker and Ishikawa], though they look like journeymen w/o power. I know Crede has been mentioned as a possibility for them at 3b. But he's a big injury risk, and the Giants could use a solid bat that they can count on. Even with PK's down years, he's still been able to hit his HR's.

I don't know who or what the Giants have that the Sox could use in return. Jonathan Sanchez doesn't excite me. I'm not sure of their position prospects. The Giants do play in Scottsdale for spring training, where PK lives. Would he agree to a deal to play on the west coast? And could the sox get enough in return?

QUOTE (nysoxfan @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Interesting possibility. Would Paulie agree to go to the Giants? He is close to Aaron Rowand--think they have the same agent. San Fran has been down on Matt Cain. Would love to get him in an extended deal. Longshot, but KW has pulled off miracles in the past.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

Getting Fred Lewis [as part of a package, not straight up] could solve the sox need for a leadoff hitter. Though he's 28, he did hit .282/.351/.440 in over 400 ab's last year-hitting mostly in the #1 spot, and getting 21 sb's. He does play CF, though he's played mostly in LF. Not sure what his defense is like, though he did have like 10 OF assists last year to go with 8 errors.

QUOTE (nysoxfan @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Interesting possibility. Would Paulie agree to go to the Giants? He is close to Aaron Rowand--think they have the same agent. San Fran has been down on Matt Cain. Would love to get him in an extended deal. Longshot, but KW has pulled off miracles in the past.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

I'd forget about getting Cain. I would think PK would agree if presented a deal. He'd still have his no trade rights, and could stay in SF for the next two years, being closer to home. The Giants plan on contending.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
I still say that Dye would be a good fit in SF.

The Giants have 4 OFers though. Lewis, Schierholtz, Rowand and Winn. Rowand isn't going anywhere, maybe Winn. Yet Winn gives the Giants the best chance of winning this year. Schierholtz hits for power and avg. and is the youngest of the bunch at 24.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Dye could be 1st base, and he's a Bay area guy.

Sabean would get major popularity points for trading for him.

I guess that Dye playing 1b wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the Giants. Anything to add the power bat. Yet having Dye learn to play 1b at his age is a stretch. I still think PK makes more sense, with the Giants crowded OF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I guess that Dye playing 1b wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the Giants. Anything to add the power bat. Yet having Dye learn to play 1b at his age is a stretch. I still think PK makes more sense, with the Giants crowded OF.

It wouldn't be crowded if Lewis gets sent back to the Sox.

Who's our 1st baseman after this? Let's keep wilson betemeit off the field. I would trade konerko for Fred Lewis straight up if lewis plays a good center, but I'm not sure what his reputation is there.

Post Script.. How many total "Trade Konerko" threads have there been on soxtalk?

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Now that the San Francisco Giants have lefty veteran Randy Johnson locked up, they are willing to listen to offers involving Jonathan Sanchez. Chris Haft of MLB.com asked Giants general manager Brian Sabean about the possibility after signing Johnson.

MLBtraderumors.com

This I don't believe at all. They have the Big Unit for one yearand my guess is that's all. He wants his 300th win and will get it in SF and probably retire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
I doubt SF would want Paulie's contract. I think he's worth more to the White Sox than most teams. The Sox have to have some offense in 2009.

If the pitching staff stays as it is, I don't think it really matters what kind of offense we have.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
Who's our 1st baseman after this? Let's keep wilson betemeit off the field. I would trade konerko for Fred Lewis straight up if lewis plays a good center, but I'm not sure what his reputation is there.

Post Script.. How many total "Trade Konerko" threads have there been on soxtalk?

Adam Dunn would look good :headbang

How far along is Allen in the minors??? would he be a possibility???