Ex Sox Player to the Cubs??

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
This was all about getting rid of Marquis for the Cubs and Viscaino is somewhat serviceable so bully for them. As for the Rockies... where's the motivation?

I'm going to assume the Cubs are picking up a large part of Marquis contract so who knows, he might be able to give then some innings for cheap.

Vizcaino was pretty crappy last season too.

The Rocks aren't exactly loaded with arms. Marquis, despite the ERA, isn't someone I wouldn't want as a 4/5 starter (NL-wise). I remember times that he actually helped the Cubs out. Actually have thought the Mets and their taste for mediocrity on the mound sans Santana could have wanted someone like him. He's pretty much on par with the kind of pitchers they run at. Again, despite the ERA, he seems to know how to keep his team in the game. Not having looked at his stats, the thing I wonder about is how he holds up in Coors. Is this the doormat to a Cubs Krazy Eyez Killa/Peavy/Lilly rotation? A Board Game inspired move? I wouldn't mind him and his craziness for one year over on our side of town...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Pretty simple logic. The Cubs were looking to dump Marquis on just about anyone who would take him, and I'm assuming they will pay 60-65% of his salary...maybe even more.

For Vizcaino, another change of scenery trade, they probably had to include SOMEONE instead of just basically giving him to the Rockies.

I read somewhere where the Dodgers were willing to eat almost $20 million of Andruw Jones' contract for next season. I think that would be pretty tempting for KW, although Jones is still struggling in the early going down in the Dominican from what I've read.

EDIT: I looked up the deal, and I can't believe the Cubs are getting away with murder again. Their payroll would go down by $5 million...and they would only have to pay $1 million on Marquis' salary after heading into the offseason expecting to contribute $5-6 million to get him off their hands. However, they do take a very questionable reliever's contract on in Vizcaino, who had almost as rough a year as Marquis and then had a DUI already this offseason.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)
I'm going to assume the Cubs are picking up a large part of Marquis contract so who knows, he might be able to give then some innings for cheap.

Vizcaino was pretty crappy last season too.

Relievers, though, have this remarkable tendancy to make like a lamb one year, and then a T-Rex with shoulder mounted cannons the next. It's a s***ty job to have to decide on relievers... Guys like Riviera, Eckersley, Hoffman are/were pretty safe to bet on a few years ago. You could trade for/sign one of these guys and not lose sleep. I really don't keep up with stats as much so I couldn't name the best relief pitching at the moment, but rest assured, there is some. And aside from those it's a crap shoot. White Sox/Liney/Dotel. Signing these guys pretty much worked out. IIRC Liney got knocked the f*** out of Miller Park and Dotel didn't exactly shine either, but again, they helped. Stay tuned for 2009. Politte/Cotts? Their story is a summation of what I'm saying. Relief Pitchers=poison. Just sign Frank Thomas and Juan Uribe and waltz your f***ing way to the World Series. Waltz.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)
Wow Marquis in Coors Field...He might break the record for most home runs given up in a season!

What are the Rockies thinking?

He is a sinkerball pitcher, if he is right, he is perfect for that park. The thing about Marquis is that he usually starts really strong and then fades in August when he gets fatigued and starts leaving his sinker up.

The Rockies have to have sinkerball pitchers to compete

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
He is a sinkerball pitcher, if he is right, he is perfect for that park. The thing about Marquis is that he usually starts really strong and then fades in August when he gets fatigued and starts leaving his sinker up.

Which in that atmosphere will happen in about late June instead of August because recovery is the hardest in that thin air.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
Which in that atmosphere will happen in about late June instead of August because recovery is the hardest in that thin air.

Im not expecting it to work out, but I know why the Rockies are doing it

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 05:57 AM)
Sign Thomas and Uribe? What? Where would they play, exactly?

You said that Dotel and Linebrink were good signings, and then that relief pitchers are "poison" and we should wait on the next Politte/Cotts? I'm not sure I understand.

I kid. These two hold a special place in my heart. Thomas can come back as some form of coach, and Uribe needs to come back as Farmer's partner.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
This was all about getting rid of Marquis for the Cubs and Viscaino is somewhat serviceable so bully for them. As for the Rockies... where's the motivation?

I believe when "on" Marquis is a groundball pitcher, which is what the Rockies want. Obviously no guarantees with him, but not giving up much and if the Cubs are picking up a good portion of $$ worth the risk

The Rocks are getting a possible back of the rotation guy and the Cubs are getting yet another reliever with control issues. I would say Hendry got fleeced pretty good on this again. They are essentially paying Gas-Canino over 5 million to pitch for them.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)

I wonder why they haven't looked at Garland, with that thought in mind? Probably still too expensive for their blood, with the Rockies trying to find bargains and even considering bringing back Josh Fogg. With D. Lowe getting offered (a starting point) $36 million for 3 years (Garland's salary, FWIW, last year was $12 million) instead of crazy numbers like $70-90 million over 5-6 years, the market's really falling in on those LF/DH types (Milton Bradley, Abreu, Burrell, Griffey, G. Anderson) as well as Lowe, Garland, Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf. Maybe Pettitte as well, if he's out there on the market and making himself available.

Edited by caulfield12

Would anyone pay Juan Uribe $4.9 million (the contract for Aaron Miles) to stick around for two more years as a sub? Interesting question. Obviously Uribe had more of an impact with the White Sox (especially 04-05-08) than Miles had with the Rockies, but they are fairly similar players at this point in their careers in terms of their value/s to other organizations. We haven't heard much of anything about Uribe landing somewhere else, and yet Miles, Punto and Felipe Lopez. Adam Everett even found a taker. Cabrera, Eckstein and Uribe are still out there though, among others.

And DeRosa traded to the Indians...

Sources: DeRosa headed to Indians

ESPN.com news services

Mark DeRosa, who had been rumored to be a part of three- and four-team scenarios in the Jake Peavy trade is finally headed out of Chicago -- but not in a trade for the San Diego Padres' ace.

DeRosa has been traded to the Cleveland Indians for three players, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

DeRosa hit 21 home runs and drove in 87 runs for the Cubs last season, appearing in 149 games. He played 97 games at second base.

For 3 unnamed players apparently.

Wonder who the Cubs got in that deal? Would be at least 1 decent prospect you would have thought.

I think they're selling high on DeRosa though, which is a smart move on their part.

Miles won't replace his offense though.