DeRosa to Tribe

Dick Allen

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
fits right in with the rest of those PED toons.

So Hendry might turn Marquis, SteroiDosa, and trash for Bradley, Peavy, Miles, and Vizcaino.

Not too shabby I suppose.

How does this help them get Peavy? They are trying to save money to sign Bradley and that should eat a big chunk of their payroll and they still have crap to trade for Peavy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Supposedly one of the pitchers is a decent prospect. A good enough piece of crap Hendry could pawn off in a package with more garbage for an ace.

The Indians have nothing in their system pitching wise that the Cubs could have received that would be the difference maker in them landing Peavy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Levine works for ESPN.

Some interesting moves by the Cubs. Sullivan was just on The Score, and thinks Miles could lead off for the Cubs, and talked about how well liked and important DeRosa was in the clubhouse. They just removed him from the equation, and brought in a huge wild card in Bradley.

I don't know why I said Score. I did hear Murph say Miles is a good defender and legitimate leadoff hitter. lol. What a dumbass.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't know why I said Score. I did hear Murph say Miles is a good defender and legitimate leadoff hitter. lol. What a dumbass.

Well, I can't see Miles holding up over an entire year at 2B and leading off. He's not a stolen base threat, if he ever was one to begin with. There has to be more behind this move than just Bradley and minor leaguers, although seemingly their LH bat and leadoff problems are 50% solved theoretically. Although Fontenot will perhaps figure more into the equation now as well.

I guess one can look at selling DeRosa "high" in the same light as the Sox potentially dealing Dye.

And I guess this puts the Josh Barfield Era officially to an end in Cleveland.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Levine works for ESPN.

Some interesting moves by the Cubs. Sullivan was just on The Score, and thinks Miles could lead off for the Cubs, and talked about how well liked and important DeRosa was in the clubhouse. They just removed him from the equation, and brought in a huge wild card in Bradley.

The Cubs now have Bradley and Zambrano in the same clubhouse. Consider that for a minute.

1) First, you trade Jose Ceda, our closer of the future who was "untouchable" in a Roberts deal last year, for Kevin Gregg, who led the NL in blown saves last year. He's going to battle Marmol now to be our closer?

2) Then you let Wood go, saying we don't have money while you try to trade for a pitcher we don't need (see below) and who was hurt for a time last year who makes much more than Wood wanted. You didn't even offer arbitration, costing us a draft pick.

3) You try to trade everyone we have left (including Josh Vitters, who is all we have left in the minors)for Jake Peavy who was hurt last year, makes a ton of money that we supposedly don't have to pay him, and who would give us (at that time) 7 starters. You offer up everything, including spinning DeRosa into the deal, even though you were dealing from advantage and should have been controlling the deal from day one.

4) You trade DeRosa for three worthless pitchers, who the media says aren't even going for Peavy anymore, to give Fontenot and Aaron Miles a chance to play. I like Fontenot, but he's no Mark DeRosa and by playing every day he takes one of our best weapons off the bench. You wanted to get rid of his $5 million salary? So you sign Aaron Miles to make half that for a total net savings of $2.5 million. Book the cruise....

5) You sign Joey Gathright, who is the equivalent of if Tom Goodwin (during his Cubs days) and Felix Pie had a child.

6) You are on the verge of signing Milton Bradley, a DH, to play right field and who won't play more than 110 games next year and who you will be trying to dump his contract off (while paying a good amount of his salary) by the following offseason. You won't even discuss Adam Dunn, who would probably take a lower pay to play for the Cubs and who would give us power to replace DeRosa's, who you threw away to the Indians for nothing.

So Mr. Hendry, unless you are going to pull a rabbit out of a hat now and actually improve this team, then on behalf of Cubs fans everywhere, we are very disappointed. My wife doesn't even want to go to the Cubs Convention anymore, and I don't blame her.

from chicagotribune message boards....loved this rant, especially #5

Edited by caulfield12

DeRosa is going to be 34, his career OPS is .770 and he's going to the very competitive American League...I think his best offensive days are behind him. An upgrade from A. Cabrera and Josh Barfield? For sure, but he's also a pretty weak defender and that infield has all kinds of question marks to me with Peralta at 3B, Cabrera at SS, DeRosa at 2B and Hafner/Martinez/Garko at 1B.

That might be the worst defensive infield in baseball today. With their pitching, it's a far cry from Alomar and Vizquel up the middle.

This has not been a good off-season to be a Cubs fan. Derosa may be getting on in age, but he's better then anything else the Indians have got, and his versatility will benefit them a lot more now that Blake is out of the picture for a whole season. As for the Cubs, Little Mikey Fontenot has proven himself a good bench player, but no one knows how he might do for a whole season. And Aaron Miles? If he's get more then 350 at-bats I think that'll be very unfortunate for the Cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
DeRosa is going to be 34, his career OPS is .770 and he's going to the very competitive American League...I think his best offensive days are behind him. An upgrade from A. Cabrera and Josh Barfield? For sure, but he's also a pretty weak defender and that infield has all kinds of question marks to me with Peralta at 3B, Cabrera at SS, DeRosa at 2B and Hafner/Martinez/Garko at 1B.

That might be the worst defensive infield in baseball today. With their pitching, it's a far cry from Alomar and Vizquel up the middle.

DeRosa is going to play 3B for them. From 3B to 1B - DeRosa-Peralta-Cabrera-Garko

Still really not that pretty, but it's probably better than with DeRosa at 2B.

Obviously the Marte and Barfield experiments didn't work out so well.

I think they'll really miss Blake, although DeRosa is a good substitute. Both are versatile, veteran, offense-minded players. Peralta just seems like a pending disaster at SS as he keeps growing, putting on weight. I won't label him the reincarnated equivalent of Viciedo at SS exactly, but he's about as mobile as Tom Brady these days. Garko's one of those streaky players that looks to be on the verge of playing himself off the team one year (due to his lack of typical 1B power numbers), but he's an RBI machine. The main problem is that Victor Martinez is also a DH, so you're either stuck with Hafner or a very lousy catcher, probably the worst in the baseball. It will be interesting to see what Flowers gives us from that spot in a couple of years...or if he also moves to 1B/DH. I guess keeping Peralta and Cabrera as the DP combination seemed the more logical way to go. Still the only "power" hitter on that infield is Peralta (for his position), and he's really a 3B now. It's just that DeRosa will cause less damage at 3B than 2B, I guess.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Makes sense for the Cubs. DeRosa had a career year last year; he's unlikely to repeat those numbers. Might as well sell high.

A career year? Looks about the same as the previous two, the only difference showing is the jump in homeruns, but its only 8 more.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/derosma01.shtml