The Winter Classic thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking out the live Wrigley webcam on the Hawks' official site and was wondering why all of Wrigley's playing surface appeared to be covered with snow when it hasn't snowed for days and there isn't so much as a flake in the seating section. Then I clicked on another link and saw some NHL wonk explain that they had put up fans in the outfield in order to "supplement" Mother Nature and create the same snowy "appearance" that the game had last year during the snow storm in Buffalo.

I posted in the NHL thread about how the classic has been obviously designed as a made-for-tv event, but manufacturing fake snow for telegenic ambiance just strikes me as phony and going too far.

I'll watch the game and root on my Hawks like always, but as it approaches, I'm getting less and less excited about it and just more turned off by the hype.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I have no idea why you are concerned about that.

Not so much "concerned", just turned off by the phoniness. I don't need fake snow to enjoy hockey anymore than I need fake laughter to enjoy a TV sitcom. I guess I kind of resent the implication that I do.

It makes the whole thing look a lot more crisp, instead of watching a game in the middle of what looks like a park or a parking lot. There's got to be mud, grass, walkways, materials all over the place. I have no problem with it. If you are concerned with gimmicks and it being phony, you should have been turned off by this game a long, long, long time ago.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
It makes the whole thing look a lot more crisp, instead of watching a game in the middle of what looks like a park or a parking lot. There's got to be mud, grass, walkways, materials all over the place. I have no problem with it. If you are concerned with gimmicks and it being phony, you should have been turned off by this game a long, long, long time ago.

You got that right; I'm just getting turned off even more lately. Hockey to me is what happens inside the boards and between the pipes. Makes no difference to me if its surrounded by snow and dead ivy, or a half-empty indoor arena. As Hawk always says, "they don't put pictures on scorecards." I'm all for looking at pretty pictures after whistles and time outs, but just like the "Shoot the Puck" contestants, its a turn off to me if they're fake.

To each his own, I guess. Happy New Year and "Let's Go Hawks!"

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
It's a horrible idea to have this on New Year's Day. Of course there's no other big sporting events on New Year's!

I almost wished I wasn't going. SC/IOWA and USC/PSU are much more appealing.

Edited by whitesoxbrian