The Winter Classic thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

". . . and now we return you to your regularly scheduled NHL season." Good riddance.

Parts of it were cool; other parts were really lame (three pucks and you're out? good Lord). As stated, I'm glad its over.

I hope all those who went still had a good time.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Loving the posts from a month ago saying trade Bulin while his value was "at it's highest".

It's still not a bad idea to trade him if someone has something the Hawks need.

He's gone after this season, so if the opportunity presents itself to improve yourself for the future, I think you have to do it, especially since they're not an elite team yet.

My only hesitation would be that if anything happens to Huet after you trade Khabibulin, you have two basically untested goalies, but that will be the case going forward anyway.

Why not give Niemi or Crawford some NHL time while addressing a need through a Khabi trade?

Again, all that relies on someone needing a goalie and offering someone the Hawks feel they need.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
Which I don't feel is realistic, hence the post.

The numbers alone make a trade almost impossible, let alone the actual need for Bulin from other teams around the league. A playoff team would have to lose a goalie, have the cap room to take on Bulin, and actually offer something of value. It just doesn't add up right now.

That line I quoted from your earlier post gave me the impression that the "trade Bulin" posts were idiotic, which I don't feel they were/are.

I agree that a lot of things have to fall in place for a Bulin deal to happen, which is too bad because this would be the best time to deal him. You'd have time to ease the new backup in, and time for the new Hawk to get accustomed to his new team.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I just don't think it accomplishes really anything. As I said in my last post, expecting to get anything for Bulin that can actually help this team isn't realistic. Huet doesn't inspire any sort of confidence in me, and while I still contend the Hawks will not be Cup Contenders this year, you're asking for trouble trading an 11-2-4 goaltender from a young team.

While I don't disagree, I would say that this team has recovered from Savard being let go, so that shows me that they're adaptable to a pretty large degree. I don't think Tallon has shut any doors as far as trading Khabi is concerned, nor should he.

Maybe a contending team loses a goalie and something can match up. I thought maybe Jersey would be that team, but their kid Clemmensen has turned into quite a find in net, so that ended any thoughts I had of a possible NJ deal.

Well we saw the difference between the good and the great teams yesterday. The Hawks have an amazing ability to land a flurry on a team, but the true great teams aren't bothered by that. The Wings dug in and gave a solid 60 minutes, instead of a spectacular 20 followed by an OK 40. They have got to learn that if they really want to take that step into the very top of hockey, they have got to learn to keep that intensity for 60 minutes every night. As it looks now, they could win their first round playoff match up, but they would lose in 5 games at best to SJ or DET. Really that isn't a bad thing, as this team has made amazing progress, but they just aren't at the top of the league yet. I would put them into the second tier of teams right now.

Well I think Huet's been pretty good over the past month, and yesterday was only 1 bad game. It's not like the conditions helped either goalie much at all yesterday.

I think you still try to Khabibulin if you can, because he's not going to be around next season, and I think yesterday showed while the Hawks are on the up, they still have more work to do.

If you can get some future assets for Khabi at the deadline, I'd still do it, because even with him, I don't think we can beat either Detroit or San Jose in the West.

Easily one of the top sporting events I've ever attended.... even with all the surrounding hype, it exceeded expectations. Towards the end when things were looking bleek I decided to change the Dee-troit sucks chants with Let's Go White Sox or Wrigley sucks... which people appreciated while waiting in the horrendous bathroom lines. Awesome event though...everything was perfect except the outcome, looked so jacked up in the 1st period but had to succomb to the USSR All-Star team. Reality check for our young guns for sure.

Anybody know where I can find some high-res pictures?

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Easily one of the top sporting events I've ever attended.... even with all the surrounding hype, it exceeded expectations. Towards the end when things were looking bleek I decided to change the Dee-troit sucks chants with Let's Go White Sox or Wrigley sucks... which people appreciated while waiting in the horrendous bathroom lines. Awesome event though...everything was perfect except the outcome, looked so jacked up in the 1st period but had to succomb to the USSR All-Star team. Reality check for our young guns for sure.

Anybody know where I can find some high-res pictures?

A better joke would have been the Swedish National Team.

7 Swedes

6 Canadians

4 Americans

3 Czechs

1 Russian

1 Finn

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
John McDonough said this was the best day of the history of the Blackhawks. Typical Cub mentality. It's all about the Disneyland experience and not the outcome of the game.

That's a really disappointing quote.

There have been three "best days in the history of the Blackhawks".

They involved a beautiful silver trophy with a bowl on top.

The last "best day" happened two years before I was born.

That's where the focus should be. I want to see a REAL "best day" before I keel over.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
John McDonough said this was the best day of the history of the Blackhawks. Typical Cub mentality. It's all about the Disneyland experience and not the outcome of the game.

Im glad this Winter Classic is over. Everything smell cubbie like thanks to John McD. All the hype but actually not getting the win, just like the cubs each and every year. Let's just focus on hockey. Go Blackhawks...

Yeah, the hype machine on full steam ahead is disenchanting, but the actual direction the team is headed on the ice is promising. Titanic probably looked promising pulling out of port too, until it ran into some ice. All the goodwill and publicity created by this game and the afore-mentioned "Disneyland Experience" will last as far as the team's performance takes them. It works for the Cubs because they are the Cubs. They can bomb and still raise prices for next year (I think their days of 2004 style bad are over for some time to come though). The NHL in Chicago is still behind The Bears, both baseball teams, and while it has gained some on The Bulls, them too.