Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

WTF?

Bizarre Tongue-Eating Parasite Discovered Off the Jersey Coast

There's been a spate of amazing animal discoveries recently--the giant rat-eating plants found in the Philippines, a huge woolly rat discovered in a volcanic crater--and now, yet another creature has emerged that could be right out of a sci-fi film. It's a bizarre creature that survives by eating its hosts' tongue and then attaching itself inside the mouth.

The sea-dwelling parasite attacks fish, burrows into it, and then devours its tongue. After eating the tongue, the parasite proceeds to live inside the fish's mouth. There's a horror film waiting to be made about this thing. Surprisingly, the fish doesn't seem to suffer any severe impediment--just the loss of its tongue--and seems to have no trouble surviving with its new, far uglier tongue.

While the isopod, a kind of louse, has been known to exist for a while now, discoveries of live specimens is rare. The BBC reports that "Fishermen near the Minquiers - islands under the jurisdiction of Jersey - found the isopod, a type of louse, inside a weaver fish." So no, the tongue-eater wasn't found in that Jersey. The Jersey Shore is still tongue replacing creature-free, if you stateside Northeasterners were worried about the thing ruining your late summer vacationing.

Not that you'd have to be too concerned anyways--the isopod isn't a threat to humans in the slightest, though it's reportedly vicious, and can deliver quite a little bite. One of the fishermen who found the creature described it thus: "Really quite large, really quite hideous - if you turn it over its got dozens of these really sharp, nasty claws underneath and I thought 'that's a bit of a nasty beast'." And while it can't seriously hurt people, it evidently doesn't like them: "It doesn't affect humans other than if you do actually come across a live one and try and pick it up - they are quite vicious, they will deliver a good nip."

tongue-eating-parasite.jpg

LINK

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
We regularly see fish down here with a closely related isopod mouth parasite. I just had a fisherman bring one in for identification about two weeks ago.

Wicked cool animals.

X-actly why FlaSoxxJim is very weird.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
As a bio major, I find this to be a very cool. So I guess that makes me weird too?

Of course you are weird — that's what leads us into biology.

Biologists: "You can dress us up, you can take us out to dinner, but we're still going to talk about snot."

:headbang

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)
Have you ever noticed that you can usually tell what a woman will look like by the sound of her voice? Hot chicks usually sound hot and ugly chicks usually sound ugly. Most of the time, if I hear a hot voice over the phone, it turns out the chick is pretty hot.

Back when i was at SIU and they had the crappy phone system (3 or 4 rooms to a line) i picked up the phone and happened to find on the other line a girl looking for someone else. we ended up talking because she had a sexy voice (for me that was a bit of a rasp and a southern accent). We agreed to meet that night at one of the bars downtown. I got there early with my friends and was totally gone by the time our 11pm meeting rolled around. I told her what i was wearing so she approached me in the bar and said "Hi Bill....i'm Denise." to which i drunkenly responded "Hi Denise .....boy....you sure didn't sound fat on the phone!!!!"

That is a quote I'm still reminded of to this day by people that were there 20 years ago!!!

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
Back when i was at SIU and they had the crappy phone system (3 or 4 rooms to a line) i picked up the phone and happened to find on the other line a girl looking for someone else. we ended up talking because she had a sexy voice (for me that was a bit of a rasp and a southern accent). We agreed to meet that night at one of the bars downtown. I got there early with my friends and was totally gone by the time our 11pm meeting rolled around. I told her what i was wearing so she approached me in the bar and said "Hi Bill....i'm Denise." to which i drunkenly responded "Hi Denise .....boy....you sure didn't sound fat on the phone!!!!"

That is a quote I'm still reminded of to this day by people that were there 20 years ago!!!

Sounds like things weren't going to end well even if Denise had been hot. It's probably bettter that she wasn't. There's nothing worse than being too drunk to talk to a hot chick.

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)

win

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)

Whenever I would meet someone like that, I never wore what I told them I was going to wear. That way, if I didn't find them attractive I could just leave without being detected and if I did find them attractive I could just say, "Sorry I'm not wearing what I said I would. I spilled some sode on my shirt." Or something like that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Whenever I would meet someone like that, I never wore what I told them I was going to wear. That way, if I didn't find them attractive I could just leave without being detected and if I did find them attractive I could just say, "Sorry I'm not wearing what I said I would. I spilled some sode on my shirt." Or something like that.

That is totally brilliant. You Dog!

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
I am a f***ing idiot when it comes to the women in my life. I am seriously f***ing stupid with these chicks, what the f*** am I doing here?

Oh I must hear this **getting popcorn ready**

3....2....1....go! :)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
You get caught up with the girls from your job?

there is a party tonight that I am going to and there is a possibility that both will be there. I am f***ed if that is the case.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
there is a party tonight that I am going to and there is a possibility that both will be there. I am f***ed if that is the case.

Five minutes after this post I find out that they WILL both be there. s*** f*** s***.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
The temporary solution: don't go to the party.

I am kinda stuck going. I have promised alot of people I would be there. My only hope is that the one girl shows up later to the party like she said and I will leave early because I have to work tomorrow.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
I am kinda stuck going. I have promised alot of people I would be there. My only hope is that the one girl shows up later to the party like she said and I will leave early because I have to work tomorrow.

Why don't you just enjoy both at the same time. :lol:

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)

Too bad you don't have million dollars.