Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So my cousin out in California was telling me how she was out this past weekend and got pretty blasted, so at around 2 am or thereabouts they go to this place called Tacos al Carbon b/c that's what's open. She is the only non-Hispanic person in there, she speaks a little Spanish, but it's crappy. This guy (who is Mexican) comes up and tries to talk to her. She's still pretty drunk so she figures she's gonna mess with him some, so she starts to ask him "you got that paper?" meaning if you wanna talk to me you gotta have money. Except she verbalizes this thought in Spanish as "tienes papeles?" The guy's table starts laughing and she doesn't know why, so thinking she just successfully said something in Spanish she says it again a couple more times, and louder. But she doesn't realize what she's asking is "do you have papers?" which of course if you ask that to someone who's Mexican, it means something along the lines of "are you an illegal immigrant" or "do you belong in this country".

Hilarious.

How do you guys combat burnout?

I'm taking 18 credit hours (including a 3 hour night class tonight). I also get up at 4:45 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays for work (to film workouts).

I realize that it's not as hectic as a lot of you people in the working world and what not, but it's starting to get at me. I'm physically tired most of the day (I fall asleep in most classes), but I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I try and sneak in an afternoon nap when I can but that's really dependent on what I have to get done.

I don't know, but I've just all of a sudden hit a wall this semester. It's my most intense in terms of class load (i.e. 6 actual classes, no zero credit/half credit/required fluff courses), but I have to do it in order to graduate in five years.

That sucks, man. I have a lot of trouble doing the whole nap thing too, so what I’ll do is regardless of how much crap I know I have going on, I’ll have a specific time set out for me to just go anywhere secluded (not in my room and not near a crowd, usually upstairs in the Union on campus) and read or just relax. I don’t know if you have that type of personality or that kind of interest but to be alone with just your thoughts is a hell of a thing when you’re having a tough time.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
How do you guys combat burnout?

I'm taking 18 credit hours (including a 3 hour night class tonight). I also get up at 4:45 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays for work (to film workouts).

I realize that it's not as hectic as a lot of you people in the working world and what not, but it's starting to get at me. I'm physically tired most of the day (I fall asleep in most classes), but I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I try and sneak in an afternoon nap when I can but that's really dependent on what I have to get done.

I don't know, but I've just all of a sudden hit a wall this semester. It's my most intense in terms of class load (i.e. 6 actual classes, no zero credit/half credit/required fluff courses), but I have to do it in order to graduate in five years.

I procrastinate a lot. I think it honestly helps me until I actually have to do stuff. I imagine you probably can't do that though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
you take that back now Aussie

I've already done irreplaceable damage to my liver since I've been here anyways.

But once in a while it is nice to wake up on a Saturday Morning and not be severly hungover.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
I've already done irreplaceable damage to my liver since I've been here anyways.

But once in a while it is nice to wake up on a Saturday Morning and not be severly hungover.

That's why I usually wake up Saturday afternoon and not morning. Hangovers do suck hardcore.

Actual quote from CNN.com:

"New research shows that, in men, the brain areas associated with handling tools and the intention to perform actions light up when viewing images of women in bikinis."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/19/women...ref=mpstoryview

The article does not elaborate upon the specific "tools" to be handled or the "actions" intended to be performed.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Actual quote from CNN.com:

"New research shows that, in men, the brain areas associated with handling tools and the intention to perform actions light up when viewing images of women in bikinis."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/19/women...ref=mpstoryview

The article does not elaborate upon the specific "tools" to be handled or the "actions" intended to be performed.

Who knew, "Man I'd like to drill her!" was such a literal desire.

Again, it's a popular misconception. I drink maybe 3-5 times a month, typically only on weekends and never when I have stuff to do.

Make that month into a week (2 tops) and when I have stuff to do.... still drink. I will probably not live past 40 at the rate I've destroyed my body.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
So my cousin out in California was telling me how she was out this past weekend and got pretty blasted, so at around 2 am or thereabouts they go to this place called Tacos al Carbon b/c that's what's open. She is the only non-Hispanic person in there, she speaks a little Spanish, but it's crappy. This guy (who is Mexican) comes up and tries to talk to her. She's still pretty drunk so she figures she's gonna mess with him some, so she starts to ask him "you got that paper?" meaning if you wanna talk to me you gotta have money. Except she verbalizes this thought in Spanish as "tienes papeles?" The guy's table starts laughing and she doesn't know why, so thinking she just successfully said something in Spanish she says it again a couple more times, and louder. But she doesn't realize what she's asking is "do you have papers?" which of course if you ask that to someone who's Mexican, it means something along the lines of "are you an illegal immigrant" or "do you belong in this country".

Hilarious.

She got lucky she found the kind of Mexicans who can laugh at that kind of stuff.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I procrastinate a lot. I think it honestly helps me until I actually have to do stuff. I imagine you probably can't do that though.

Sounds like me. I haven't had s*** to do this week and knew I had a big test on Friday, but as it comes down to it, I'm still awake at 4:30 in the morning studying for my test tomorrow. I could have studied every night and probably would have been better off, but where's the fun in that? I guess I thought waiting until the night before seemed like a good idea, especially when I went out last night and got hammered...

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 03:49 AM)
She got lucky she found the kind of Mexicans who can laugh at that kind of stuff.

She got lucky that's all she knew how to say, too. What's worse is all her friends spoke Spanish and they didn't tell her what she said until 2 days later.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Hopefully people circled the date. The annual IT event of imposing a block on a certain fanbase's ability to purchase their tickets. Enjoy the fail.

I remember having a "discussion" with you, years ago, about this "event". I believe the thread ended up in the buster, and your avatar for years after was a result of it. If this is what I think it is.