Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
The economic picture and the layoffs at my job have people acting completely out of their minds. When the owner comes around everyone turns into a cut throat, kiss ass, performance monkey. Why not just carry a sign that reads: "I'm the best at everthing, everyone else here sux, please don't lay me off".

People have no shame.

Its called desperation. And I can tell you as someone who has been laid off and had to go home and tell his wife and daughter, there is no shame in trying to keep your job and insurance that covers your family.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:00 AM)
Its called desperation. And I can tell you as someone who has been laid off and had to go home and tell his wife and daughter, there is no shame in trying to keep your job and insurance that covers your family.

^

That. When a family is counting on you, it is called survival.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
Can someone guess what color the room is that we put psychiatric patients in the ER? Its a color that supposedly has a calming effect.

OK since no one cares except for critic,its pink (pepto bismo pink). Which I dont really see how that has any type of calming effect on anyone. If I felt like I was losing my mind I would feel pretty uneasy being put in a room that is anything other than white. I would be asking myself,"Is this room really pink? Or am i seeing things?". For most it would be the first all pepto bismo pink room they have ever been in.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
The economic picture and the layoffs at my job have people acting completely out of their minds. When the owner comes around everyone turns into a cut throat, kiss ass, performance monkey. Why not just carry a sign that reads: "I'm the best at everthing, everyone else here sux, please don't lay me off".

People have no shame.

Yea, well from personal experience, if you do NOT do that, you get s***canned because you're "not a team player".

Being a suckup right now is better then unemployment. Trust me. Part of my biggest problem is I am NEVER a suck up but I better learn how to be one really f***ing quick or I'm going to lose everything, and that's not a joke.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
OK since no one cares except for critic,its pink (pepto bismo pink). Which I dont really see how that has any type of calming effect on anyone. If I felt like I was losing my mind I would feel pretty uneasy being put in a room that is anything other than white. I would be asking myself,"Is this room really pink? Or am i seeing things?". For most it would be the first all pepto bismo pink room they have ever been in.

lol

"no one cares, so let me go into detail...."

:P :lolhitting

fwiw, pink would have been my "serious" guess. A pink room wouldn't calm me down, though...ha.

I have AT&T DSL. It seems every time the phone rings my internet connection goes out for a good 30 seconds, this can be incredibly annoying when you're doing something that requires a continuous connection to the internet. I know DSL runs off the phone line so that makes sense. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it common?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
I have AT&T DSL. It seems every time the phone rings my internet connection goes out for a good 30 seconds, this can be incredibly annoying when you're doing something that requires a continuous connection to the internet. I know DSL runs off the phone line so that makes sense. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it common?

you should ask SSI about that, I bet he could tell you how to fix that. I never had that problem when I had AT&T DSL

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)

Do you have a filter on the line?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I had that happening and all it was was (good english, I know) the DSL and the phone line were plugged in the wrong place on the filter. Check that.

Ok, I checked all 3 phones, the filters are all connected properly.

Via process of elimination I've found the culprit. There's definitely something wrong with one of the hookups, when I disconnected the phone line from the wall and called the house the internet did not go out. Mystery solved.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
So it's ok? I had to re-wire all of my inside phone wires when we added a room. That was fun...

Should be. The phone that was causing the problem isn't used too often so leaving it unplugged will not be an issue. This weekend I'll try to figure out why it was causing problems to begin with.

How about some economic recession humor?

Yesterday I answered a knock on the door, only to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner.

'Good morning,' said the young man. 'If I could take a couple of minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in

high-powered vacuum cleaners.'

'Go away!' I said. 'I haven't got any money!', 'I'm broke!' and

proceeded to close the door.

Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door and pushed wide open.. 'Don 't be too hasty!' he said. 'Not until you have at least

seen my demonstration'. And with that, he emptied a bucket of horse manure onto my hallway carpet.

'If this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse manure from your carpet, I will personally eat the remainder.'

I stepped back and said, 'Well I hope you've got a fricking good appetite, because they cut off my electricity this morning. What part of broke do you not understand?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Yea, well from personal experience, if you do NOT do that, you get s***canned because you're "not a team player".

Being a suckup right now is better then unemployment. Trust me. Part of my biggest problem is I am NEVER a suck up but I better learn how to be one really f***ing quick or I'm going to lose everything, and that's not a joke.

I hear you, I'm not a suck up and I will not sacrifice who I AM for anything.

A suck up is one thing, but throwing people under the bus is another thing. If I know you're struggling, or falling behind on deadlines I woudn't call you out on it in front of the boss. Another trend is people working 80 hours a week when it's not neccesary. The sad part is, bosses who fall for it and don't see right through it. Our 'employee of the year' goes into hyper speed when the big wigs are around, as soon as they leave, she could give one less of a s***.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I hear you, I'm not a suck up and I will not sacrifice who I AM for anything.

A suck up is one thing, but throwing people under the bus is another thing. If I know you're struggling, or falling behind on deadlines I woudn't call you out on it in front of the boss. Another trend is people working 80 hours a week when it's not neccesary. The sad part is, bosses who fall for it and don't see right through it. Our 'employee of the year' goes into hyper speed when the big wigs are around, as soon as they leave, she could give one less of a s***.

Yea, I worked 80 hours a week to be told that I was a moron and I should only have to work 60 because the way I was doing things was f***ed up. Yea, but don't EVER mention the fact that management changed everything every hour because they didn't know what the f*** they were doing...

And then I got thrown under the bus about 4 times because people weren't doing their s*** which made me late because I was at the end of the process. "Anticipate" is what I was told, and my response was why don't you manage the f***ing process, Mr. Manager, since YOU are the manager (and had to tell me several times that he was in charge, I wasn't), instead of allowing the process manage you... I just told you where the f***ing constraint is, now go fix it, dickhead. Oh well. I could say my "racist" thing (a certain European arrogant country = my boss), but I won't.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, you have to just roll with the assholes and play with the pigs right now because it's better then unemployment.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
You know what I love? I love how flaxx keeps on posting random catch thoughts in the video game thread on accident.lol f***ing hilarious.

Dang, I did it again. Two threads with "Catch All" in their titles appears to have totally baffled me.

:wacko:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 06:06 AM)
Dang, I did it again. Two threads with "Catch All" in their titles appears to have totally baffled me.

:wacko:

Its time for new bifocals.

Anyways, a loose ball foul 90 feet from the basket is a s***ty way to lose a double overtime sectional basketball game. That is all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
Its time for new bifocals.

Anyways, a loose ball foul 90 feet from the basket is a s***ty way to lose a double overtime sectional basketball game. That is all.

I was listening to you all. I agree.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
I was listening to you all. I agree.

Don't get me wrong, we made sure to give plenty of attention to things they did wrong, such as shooting 25 freaking percent from the free throw line, but a play isn't going to affect the scoreboard, with 1.5 second left, you don't make the call. I know there is the school of thought that you make the call no matter what, but I have never liked it. I wouldn't even have minded it so much if it was a play involving a shot at the basket, but a loose ball foul with 1.5 second left in double OT? Nope, sorry, swallow the pea.