Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK so I watched America before Columbus tonight and had this thought. The Euro's came over and brought all kinds of diseases that Indians had never seen before and 60-90% of them died after that. So how come it didn't work the the other way? After thousands of years of isolation, why weren't there any nasty things that were here that the Europeans had never been exposed to?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
OK so I watched America before Columbus tonight and had this thought. The Euro's came over and brought all kinds of diseases that Indians had never seen before and 60-90% of them died after that. So how come it didn't work the the other way? After thousands of years of isolation, why weren't there any nasty things that were here that the Europeans had never been exposed to?
Here's one possible answer; livestock.

Another is probably immigration patterns; much larger population between Europe and Asia.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)

The full answer is complex, but the short answer is that Europeans had a society that had been slowly co-mingling with various previously seperated groups over a long period of time. The AmerInd groups all came from one or a few small populations to begin with, and spread from there. The former will give you more variety of diseases, but also better immune systems. The latter makes you strong against a certain few conditions, but less prepared for anything else.

Wow, that American Indian Studies minor came in handy for once.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)

Also, as a final irony, the Plague (once Europe's scourge) still exists and still kills people in the US, almost always in one specific area - the complex of Indian Reservations in the Four Corners region. And, the only known hemorragic fever naturally resident in North America also calls that region home - Hanta Virus.

That was like Schoolhouse Rocks. Awesome.

My Monday lesson will be grievances and how they were addressed with the Bill of Rights and/or Constitutional Principles, then George Washington, any thoughts?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
That was like Schoolhouse Rocks. Awesome.

My Monday lesson will be grievances and how they were addressed with the Bill of Rights and/or Constitutional Principles, then George Washington, any thoughts?

My favorite history stuff was when it had a tie in to today. I would say some of the big state/little state fights, and how the protection of minority voting rights (in the less than 50% idea) is still showing up today in things like the electoral college and the filibuster today.

I was reading my Sports Illustrated today and the 'Sign of the Apocalypse' was "Iraqi detainees at a prison camp in Baghdad have been taunting U.S. soldiers from Wisconsin about Brett Farve's signing with the Vikings." I think this is kinda weird that the detainees would know that much about American sports. Maybe they got inundated with ESPN coverage too. I didn't know where to put this, so move this if you think it belongs somewhere else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
My favorite history stuff was when it had a tie in to today. I would say some of the big state/little state fights, and how the protection of minority voting rights (in the less than 50% idea) is still showing up today in things like the electoral college and the filibuster today.

thx, good idea

Everytime I log into facebook there is a little icon on the right side of the screen that says "Find out who searched for you today...." and above that there is always a picture of a scantily clad big breasted woman.

Sure facebook, that girl searched for me today.